View Poll Results: Is this story from Nebraska Racist?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 18.75%
  • No

    39 81.25%
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 369

Thread: Is this Racist?[W:300]

  1. #351
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Is this Racist?

    Clearly racist against zombie presidents.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #352
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Is this Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You forgot one possibility, intelligent.


    ps. If racists were calling people that name and got 'zero' reaction, they'd be less likely to keep using such an ineffective moniker.
    No, i think that might give them the impression that it's ok to say that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #353
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 04:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,186
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, i think that might give them the impression that it's ok to say that.
    Really? You think name calling warrants what, word censorship? You're never going to stop people from using words. But making a word pointless has more of a chance of working.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #354
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Is this Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Says the guy who apparently hasn't spent much time Down South.
    Ive been to the south plenty of time. And the black people down there are dropping N bombs more than most places I've been. Maybe you think they are all using the N word in a racist way, but i dont think it is.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #355
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,461

    Re: Is this Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Ive been to the south plenty of time. And the black people down there are dropping N bombs more than most places I've been. Maybe you think they are all using the N word in a racist way, but i dont think it is.
    And when the blacks do it, that's fine - it's no different from "I can say what I want about the people in my organization, but you can't." Which is why when white people use it, it is racist. If a white person calls someone else a cracker, IMO that's not racist...but if a black person does, it is racist.

    That said, the degree of racism from whites towards blacks is much greater down South. For instance, when I was there in the summer of 2012 - when Obama's reelection campaign was hot and heavy, I saw one - count 'em, one - advertisement for Obama in Jackson MS...and it was one guy wearing an old t-shirt. In the Delta where my family lived and where I grew up, there were none...even in Sunflower County that is 71% black. Think about that, guy - why would a 71%-black county have zero, absolutely zero signs or bumper stickers for Obama? I asked a black friend of mine named Eddie, who knew that unlike almost every other white person in the Delta, I was an Obama supporter. He looked at me and said, "Pete, you know why." And he was right - I did know why. I knew that any black man or woman there who drove around with an Obama bumper sticker would have something happen to their car...or if not, he or she (or their family members) would find themselves out of a job, since the great majority of business owners are white.

    So...no, guy, if you didn't see the racism, it's not because it's not there - it's because you don't know the South as well as you think you do.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  6. #356
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is this Racist?[W:300]

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Almost 70 percent said no.
    Which is a shock considering the city.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #357
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is this Racist?[W:300]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    What's wrong with having a sewage plant named after you?
    I do not think they wanted to do that as a form of honor.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #358
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,203

    Re: Is this Racist?[W:300]

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Which is a shock considering the city.
    It is not surprising at all. Even though he threw this country into the toilet, they know it was wrong to disrespect the office.

    Sorry you feel that way.

  9. #359
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Is this Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    And when the blacks do it, that's fine - it's no different from "I can say what I want about the people in my organization, but you can't." Which is why when white people use it, it is racist. If a white person calls someone else a cracker, IMO that's not racist...but if a black person does, it is racist.

    That said, the degree of racism from whites towards blacks is much greater down South. For instance, when I was there in the summer of 2012 - when Obama's reelection campaign was hot and heavy, I saw one - count 'em, one - advertisement for Obama in Jackson MS...and it was one guy wearing an old t-shirt. In the Delta where my family lived and where I grew up, there were none...even in Sunflower County that is 71% black. Think about that, guy - why would a 71%-black county have zero, absolutely zero signs or bumper stickers for Obama? I asked a black friend of mine named Eddie, who knew that unlike almost every other white person in the Delta, I was an Obama supporter. He looked at me and said, "Pete, you know why." And he was right - I did know why. I knew that any black man or woman there who drove around with an Obama bumper sticker would have something happen to their car...or if not, he or she (or their family members) would find themselves out of a job, since the great majority of business owners are white.

    So...no, guy, if you didn't see the racism, it's not because it's not there - it's because you don't know the South as well as you think you do.
    That's a lot of typing to say nothing. I know the south pretty well. Well enough anyhow. You can justify the use of the word all you want, it won't change the fact that it is used far more by black people than white people and most of its use isn't racist.

    Also you are trying to make the point that are racist whites in the south which I doubt anyone would dispute, at least try to acknowledge that there are just as many racist blacks down in the south if not more.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #360
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,461

    Re: Is this Racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    That's a lot of typing to say nothing. I know the south pretty well. Well enough anyhow. You can justify the use of the word all you want, it won't change the fact that it is used far more by black people than white people and most of its use isn't racist.

    Also you are trying to make the point that are racist whites in the south which I doubt anyone would dispute, at least try to acknowledge that there are just as many racist blacks down in the south if not more.
    And your comment is a lot less typing showing just how much you don't know.

    There's an old saying: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." It means that all too often, people make overall judgements with the information they have...but the information they're working with is much less than is necessary to make that judgement...and is far less information than those people think is necessary.

    And from a lifetime of experience in the South, from the experience of having been raised as a racist to unlearning the same, I know better than most whites just how prevalent, just how deeply rooted it is. And anyone, absolutely anyone who claims that racism by blacks is anywhere close to that by whites is speaking from a position of utter ignorance.

    Why? You would agree that there's racism in all cultures and all nations, right? Of course you would. But there's a common thread in all such situations: the racism by the more powerful in a culture is always, always more egregious than the racism by the less powerful. I can give you example after example of this all over the planet. The more powerful race (or ethnicity or religion) in a culture always, always, ALWAYS commits more egregious acts of racism, much more often, than what is committed by the less powerful race.

    That, sir, is reality. You can try to deny it if you like, but you have far less first-hand knowledge of racism in America than you seem to believe.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •