View Poll Results: Does it make sense for Romney t run again?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absoutely. He's by far the best shot the RNC has.

    23 18.40%
  • He might be good if he can shake the 47% remark he made.

    2 1.60%
  • I really don't care who the RNC puts up at this point

    10 8.00%
  • The guy is DOA. Find some new blood.

    57 45.60%
  • History suggests that he should not run again.

    33 26.40%
Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 526

Thread: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

  1. #481
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    All very interesting, but the PPACA was substantially based upon the plan enacted in Massachusetts in 2006, which in turn reflected plans floated by Republicans in 1994, which were structured on a foundation outlined by the Heritage Foundation (happy to dig out my 2 dozen cites, if required, but I have posted them maybe a dozen times before).
    What works for one state, does not necessarily work for an entire nation. Some even question whether it's working for Massachusetts. Last I heard they were losing money, and costs were going up. Similar, I'll bet with what the UK's NHS is facing probably for the same underlying reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    That all said, I think we should not have tried to induce Republican endorsement by proposing a Republican idea.... we should have swung for the fences with Medicare Part E (public option or a public plan).... the Dems wimped out.
    I would disagree with you. I think that the public option is not what's best here. I'm not saying that what was and is now destroyed was perfect and couldn't have been improved upon, but I don't think that starting by throwing out the baby with the bath water and starting over from scratch is better.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    As to incentives... they are there. Insurance companies MUST spend 80% of their revenue on claims or reimburse their customers. Remember the $726B cut from Medicare that the Republicans were trying to make hay out of in the 2012 campaign? Much of that was putting in place a system of rewards and penalties for hospitals, doctors and rehab facilities to reward (and penalize) outcomes shifting away from the pay-per-procedure model of old.

    Obamacare is hardly perfect? What Republican idea is? But, it is working well in the one place that it was implemented (Massachusetts)... no reason to believe it will not work well for America.
    Republicans did in fact submit many amendment proposals, but the Democrat majority saw it fit to throw out nearly every one of them, hence it's passage on a party line vote. It's a mess, and it's the Democrat's mess. Not anyone else's.

    I don't agree with that assessment, what's good for one state is good for all states, as I've stated above, and there is reasons to believe that the Massachusetts plan is already facing financial challenges, at least the last that I heard, may have changed since then, may have to look.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  2. #482
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    But, it is working well in the one place that it was implemented (Massachusetts)... no reason to believe it will not work well for America.
    It doesn't seem to be working well at all.
    Once the Obamacare model, Massachusetts now the law's disaster | The Daily Caller

  3. #483
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Trolling political porn cites for sensational articles favorable to your position, eh? ... well, at least you TRIED to defend your point, which is better than most on this board.

    I'm not certain you actually read this article or just like headline. The article actually talks about how Massachusetts botched the tweaks associated with their conversion to Obamacare compliance, not, as you might suggest, that the Massachusetts program does (or did) not work. So, in short, my response to you is nice effort; no cigar.

    But, since you are begging for support of my position that Romneycare worked... try this (from real news sources, BTW.... I don't do political porn)

    If ObamaCare Is So Bad, How Does RomneyCare Survive? - Forbes
    Romneycare In Massachusetts, Six Years Later - ABC News
    Massachusetts' health care plan: 6 years later - CBS News
    Poll Shows Most Massachusetts Residents Like ‘Romneycare’ | Here & Now

  4. #484
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    What works for one state, does not necessarily work for an entire nation. Some even question whether it's working for Massachusetts. Last I heard they were losing money, and costs were going up. Similar, I'll bet with what the UK's NHS is facing probably for the same underlying reasons.



    I would disagree with you. I think that the public option is not what's best here. I'm not saying that what was and is now destroyed was perfect and couldn't have been improved upon, but I don't think that starting by throwing out the baby with the bath water and starting over from scratch is better.



    Republicans did in fact submit many amendment proposals, but the Democrat majority saw it fit to throw out nearly every one of them, hence it's passage on a party line vote. It's a mess, and it's the Democrat's mess. Not anyone else's.

    I don't agree with that assessment, what's good for one state is good for all states, as I've stated above, and there is reasons to believe that the Massachusetts plan is already facing financial challenges, at least the last that I heard, may have changed since then, may have to look.
    This was a shallow, nonsensical argument when first levied by the Romney campaign as a desperate attempt to distance himself from his own work. Granted the attempt was clever as it allowed him to try to gain some credit for Romneycare but distance himself from Obamacare, but it was shallow as no one ever explained the obvious: why not? What was so unique about MA that Romneycare 't work elsewhere. I, for one, have never seen answer to that... unfortunately the press gave him a bye in answering that question.... Apparently you got the talking points memo from the Romney campaign, so I guess you are the best person to tell us why this is true?

    ...and, never a good argument to tell us "last I heard.... but do not know".... that isn't an argument, its an admission you have no standing in the argument. Do research and then post on this. The links of my previous post would be a good place to start...
    't
    Last edited by upsideguy; 07-17-14 at 10:39 PM.

  5. #485
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Trolling political porn cites for sensational articles favorable to your position, eh? ... well, at least you TRIED to defend your point, which is better than most on this board.

    I'm not certain you actually read this article or just like headline. The article actually talks about how Massachusetts botched the tweaks associated with their conversion to Obamacare compliance, not, as you might suggest, that the Massachusetts program does (or did) not work. So, in short, my response to you is nice effort; no cigar.

    But, since you are begging for support of my position that Romneycare worked... try this (from real news sources, BTW.... I don't do political porn)

    If ObamaCare Is So Bad, How Does RomneyCare Survive? - Forbes
    Romneycare In Massachusetts, Six Years Later - ABC News
    Massachusetts' health care plan: 6 years later - CBS News
    Poll Shows Most Massachusetts Residents Like ‘Romneycare’ | Here & Now
    Whatever enthusiasm which may have existed in 2012 seems to have evaporated today. Massachusetts ditches RomneyCare health exchange - POLITICO.com

  6. #486
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Would you prefer Hillary Clinton?
    Hell no, I'd prefer a stuffed animal in the Oval Office over either of them.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #487
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    I stumbled across an article that talks about a possible third presidential campaign for Mitt Romney in 2016. Now before you role your eyes and pronounce this notion officially deceased. I encourage you to read the article below, first.

    America needs Mitt Romney in 2016 - San Francisco Bay Area Moderate Conservative | Examiner.com
    Please, please, PLEASE let Romney run again! Right beside Santorum, Bachmann, Perry, and the same crowd that ran in 2012! Why? Because I strongly look forward to eight years of Hillary (though I'd prefer Elizabeth Warren)!

    There's a few Republicans I don't want to see run...specifically Jon Huntsman, because he's a moderate who is intelligent and courageous enough to stand for actual, you know, science...which is why he was the only candidate that the Obama campaign actually feared. But of course the moment he started showing his intelligence, the Tea Party and the Right's uber-religious base had to get rid of him....
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  8. #488
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Please, please, PLEASE let Romney run again! Right beside Santorum, Bachmann, Perry, and the same crowd that ran in 2012! Why? Because I strongly look forward to eight years of Hillary (though I'd prefer Elizabeth Warren)!

    There's a few Republicans I don't want to see run...specifically Jon Huntsman, because he's a moderate who is intelligent and courageous enough to stand for actual, you know, science...which is why he was the only candidate that the Obama campaign actually feared. But of course the moment he started showing his intelligence, the Tea Party and the Right's uber-religious base had to get rid of him....
    Do you feel that Elizabeth Warren has the international experience, fiscal experience, leadership experience and the intelligence to gain the second most important job in the world?

    What successes of hers can you point to and what do you feel are her greatest assets?

  9. #489
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,930
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you feel that Elizabeth Warren has the international experience, fiscal experience, leadership experience and the intelligence to gain the second most important job in the world?

    What successes of hers can you point to and what do you feel are her greatest assets?
    Grant,
    All those things are only important in a non-liberal and non-progressive's mind. The most important thing to the liberals and progressives is how their candidate makes them feel. Proof positive is election and re-election of Obama. The Republican candidates didn't make them feel 'right'.

    Liz and / or Hillary will be elected because it's far more important to have a a women president than it is to have someone who's qualified, experienced, competent, and has a track record of accomplishments both public and private. You know. The important things that a logical mind would deem as needed, which neither of these people have in the slightest.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  10. #490
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Mitt Romney in 2016: Yes, or No?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you feel that Elizabeth Warren has the international experience, fiscal experience, leadership experience and the intelligence to gain the second most important job in the world?

    What successes of hers can you point to and what do you feel are her greatest assets?
    I've got one name for you: George W. Bush.

    You know, the filthy-rich-from-birth son of a president, who never once went outside our nation's borders until he began running for president himself?

    Elizabeth Warren may not have direct experience as a CEO or commanding officer or governor, but how about looking at her life and experience instead of relying upon right-wing assumptions?

    Warren was born on June 22, 1949,[3][8] in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, to working class parents Pauline (née Reed) and Donald Jones Herring.[9][10][11] She was their fourth child, with three older brothers.[12] When she was twelve, her father, a janitor, had a heart attack—which led to many medical bills, as well as a pay cut because he could not do his previous work.[13] Eventually, this led to the loss of their car from failure to make loan payments. To help the family finances, her mother found work in the catalog-order department at Sears[14] and Elizabeth began working as a waitress at her aunt's restaurant.[12][15]

    She became a star member of the debate team at Northwest Classen High School and won the title of "Oklahoma's top high-school debater" while competing with debate teams from high schools throughout the state. She also won a debate scholarship to George Washington University at the age of 16.[13] Initially aspiring to be a teacher, she left GWU after two years to marry her high-school boyfriend, Jim Warren.[12][16][17]

    She moved to Houston with her husband, who was a NASA engineer.[16] There she enrolled in the University of Houston, graduating in 1970 with a degree in speech pathology and audiology.[18] For a year, she taught children with disabilities in a public school, based on an "emergency certificate," as she had not taken the education courses required for a regular teaching certificate.[19][20]

    Warren and her husband moved to New Jersey for his work where, after becoming pregnant with their first child, she decided to become a stay-at-home mom.[21][22] After her daughter turned two, Warren enrolled at the Rutgers School of Law–Newark.[21] She worked as a summer associate at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft. Shortly before her graduation in 1976, Warren became pregnant with her second child, and began to work as a lawyer from home, writing wills and doing real estate closings.[17][21]

    After having two children, Amelia and Alexander, she and Jim Warren divorced in 1978.[13][23] In 1980, Warren married Bruce Mann, a Harvard law professor, but retained the surname, Warren.[23]

    Political affiliation
    Warren voted as a Republican for many years saying, "I was a Republican because I thought that those were the people who best supported markets".[16] She states that in 1995 she began to vote Democratic because she no longer believed that to be true, but she says that she has voted for both parties because she believed that neither party should dominate.[24]

    Career


    Warren discussing the work of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at the ICBA conference in 2011
    During the late-1970s, the 1980s, and the 1990s, Warren taught law at several universities throughout the country, while researching issues related to bankruptcy and middle-class personal finance.[21] Warren taught at the Rutgers School of Law–Newark during 1977–1978, the University of Houston Law Center from 1978 to 1983, and the University of Texas School of Law from 1981 to 1987, in addition to teaching at the University of Michigan as a visiting professor in 1985 and as a research associate at the University of Texas at Austin from 1983 to 1987.[25]

    She joined the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1987 and became a tenured professor. She began teaching at Harvard Law School in 1992, as a visiting professor, and began a permanent position as Leo Gottlieb Professor of Law in 1995.[25]

    In 1995 Warren was asked to advise the National Bankruptcy Review Commission.[26] She helped to draft the commission's report and worked for several years to oppose legislation intended to severely restrict the right of consumers to file for bankruptcy. Warren and others opposing the legislation were not successful; in 2005 Congress passed the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005.[27]

    From November 2006 to November 2010, Warren was a member of the FDIC Advisory Committee on Economic Inclusion.[28] She is a member of the National Bankruptcy Conference, an independent organization that advises the U.S. Congress on bankruptcy law.[29] She is a former Vice-President of the American Law Institute and a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.[30]

    oh, and from the same reference:

    In 2009, Warren became the first professor in Harvard's history to win the law school's The Sacks–Freund Teaching Award for a second time.

    Elizabeth Warren is VERY intelligent, VERY educated, and VERY capable...and like Obama and Clinton, she was not born with a silver spoon in her mouth as Bush 43, Bush 41, Reagan, and Nixon all certainly were.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •