View Poll Results: What did SCOTUS decide?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • They decided only those four methods of birth control can be withheld.

    5 33.33%
  • They decided a private corporation can object to all forms of birth control.

    5 33.33%
  • Don't know/unsure

    5 33.33%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 92

Thread: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

  1. #21
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    yes, but this does not disprove my point. The tie in to the greater point is that it will likely affect other choices corporations will make which will again exert an influence and therefor a manner of control (because influence basically is control, I could influence you to make a choice if I had a gun and a demand for example, but you would still make your own choice based on the consequences you perceive).
    The HL decision won't impact me at all. There is no control exerted on my life, nor on the lives of the HL employees for that matter.

  2. #22
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Only to the extent that I let it. Porn is a huge industry, and we have no doubt seen some relaxing of sexual standards over the past few decades, but was it because porn had an influence, or has there been an increase in the porn industry as a result of changing standards? I tend to think it's probably the latter. Porn hasn't influenced my life a bit, as far as I am aware.
    yes and no. you can control your own actions sure (which is always true unless a person is unconscious or somehow does not possess free will), but if others are changed as a result of environmental influences, then the consequences of your actions, and therefore you available viable choices, changes.

  3. #23
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    How does a corporation get to control an employees life exactly?
    Tres, they *gasp* determine when an employee needs to show up for work, and how many hours they should be there. Very unfair! What if I have other plans for that day? Besides, I'm having a bad hair day, and can't make it to work on time!

    They determine what is appropriate attire on the job. Very unfair! What if I feel like wearing a bikini because I'm going to the beach later?

    They expect a reasonable attitude while you're there? Very unfair. If I'm feeling grouchy, that's my business.

    They expect a reasonable amount of company work to be accomplished. Very unfair! What's wrong with playing games on my computer - everyone needs a little fun during the day.

    Yep, those damn corporations have too much control over employees' lives, and that is just - well - unfair!

    Greetings, tres borrachos.

  4. #24
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The HL decision won't impact me at all. There is no control exerted on my life, nor on the lives of the HL employees for that matter.
    Its possible this decision won't and the probability is small that it will, but again, this does not disprove my greater point.

  5. #25
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Tres, they *gasp* determine when an employee needs to show up for work, and how many hours they should be there. Very unfair! What if I have other plans for that day? Besides, I'm having a bad hair day, and can't make it to work on time!

    They determine what is appropriate attire on the job. Very unfair! What if I feel like wearing a bikini because I'm going to the beach later?

    They expect a reasonable attitude while you're there? Very unfair. If I'm feeling grouchy, that's my business.

    They expect a reasonable amount of company work to be accomplished. Very unfair! What's wrong with playing games on my computer - everyone needs a little fun during the day.

    Yep, those damn corporations have too much control over employees' lives, and that is just - well - unfair!

    Greetings, tres borrachos.
    This is actually all true, but I disagree that it is a bad thing or that its worthy of sarcasm. Sometimes that control is helpful. If it helps people fit into a modern society due to negative consequences, then I don't see the problem with it (not under every circumstance, but generally, I see it as a good thing)

    Hi lady wizard

  6. #26
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    yes and no. you can control your own actions sure (which is always true unless a person is unconscious or somehow does not possess free will), but if others are changed as a result of environmental influences, then the consequences of your actions, and therefore you available viable choices, changes.
    Well, the available choices may change, but that doesn't mean that I must make a choice from a substandard quality group. I always have the option of going it alone, or doing only what I believe is right.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #27
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, the available choices may change, but that doesn't mean that I must make a choice from a substandard quality group. I always have the option of going it alone, or doing only what I believe is right.
    this is true, but it also does not disprove my point. The altered consequences still exist and therefore you have to consider those altered consequences. Therefore some control over your life has been exerted.

  8. #28
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    this is true, but it also does not disprove my point. The altered consequences still exist and therefore you have to consider those altered consequences. Therefore some control over your life has been exerted.
    There are no consequences of the HL decision that will exert control over my life. Or Lizzie's. Or yours, unless you choose to let it - or unless you're an employee of Hobby Lobby.

  9. #29
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Tres, they *gasp* determine when an employee needs to show up for work, and how many hours they should be there. Very unfair! What if I have other plans for that day? Besides, I'm having a bad hair day, and can't make it to work on time!

    They determine what is appropriate attire on the job. Very unfair! What if I feel like wearing a bikini because I'm going to the beach later?

    They expect a reasonable attitude while you're there? Very unfair. If I'm feeling grouchy, that's my business.

    They expect a reasonable amount of company work to be accomplished. Very unfair! What's wrong with playing games on my computer - everyone needs a little fun during the day.

    Yep, those damn corporations have too much control over employees' lives, and that is just - well - unfair!

    Greetings, tres borrachos.
    Happy Saturday Pol!

  10. #30
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Hobby Lobby SCOTUS decided?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Frankly, I don't really see this as being much different from the same purposes of the Hyde Amendment, which was passed back in the 70's, to prevent taxpayer money funding of abortion. I know the intent and method is different, but they are both issues regarding payment for something which is conscientiously objected to, by a certain segment of the population.

    It is about abortion funding, not birth control. If it were about birth control, HL would have objected to the other birth control medications/methods as well as the abortifacients.
    The question is what SCOTUS decided, not what Hobby Lobby wanted. Catholics are against all forms birth control, does this decision give a corporation owned by Catholics give relief from the mandate? Is Alito Catholic?


Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •