View Poll Results: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 9.09%
  • No

    40 90.91%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 74

Thread: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

  1. #31
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    The employer pays for part of it. So does the employee. Insurance is part of the compensation for the employee fulfilling the terms of their employment.
    In other words, the employer pays for it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #32
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Believe it or not, there is more to the law than your rights. In this case, there is regulation that benefits the whole nation, and the nonsense idea that someone should be exempt from the law because they own a lot of property and believe in a religion. No one's beliefs should entitle them to special treatment under the law. Only facts should. The facts are that more easily available contraceptives are a boon to society. The facts are that health insurance covers contraceptives. The facts are not that anyone's opinions about other people's sexual activities has a damn thing to do with the laws governing insurance or contraceptives.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #33
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Believe it or not, there is more to the law than your rights. In this case, there is regulation that benefits the whole nation, and the nonsense idea that someone should be exempt from the law because they own a lot of property and believe in a religion. No one's beliefs should entitle them to special treatment under the law. Only facts should. The facts are that more easily available contraceptives are a boon to society. The facts are that health insurance covers contraceptives. The facts are not that anyone's opinions about other people's sexual activities has a damn thing to do with the laws governing insurance or contraceptives.
    Yet, despite that, the SCOTUS has determined that family owned companies (since companies are people, perhaps?) are not required to pay for contraceptives if it violates their beliefs.

    I'm interested to see where that takes us, frankly. Perhaps an amendment to the constitution or something? Can the SCOTUS reverse itself?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #34
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    No to the question, but I disagree with the point made. Not every right is fundamentally the same. You have a right to obtain a gun. You have a right to have contraceptives and other basic needs to be provided for, IMO, because they are essential to living.

  5. #35
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    No to the question, but I disagree with the point made. Not every right is fundamentally the same. You have a right to obtain a gun. You have a right to have contraceptives and other basic needs to be provided for, IMO, because they are essential to living.
    So your employer or maybe the government owes you that? Where is that in the Constitution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  6. #36
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    So your employer or maybe the government owes you that? Where is that in the Constitution?
    I wasn't referring to constitutional rights, which is why I inserted IMO. Basic needs should be a constitutional right, as well as the ability to purchase a gun. The supreme court decision was flawed because it did not account for the separation of church and state.

  7. #37
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Believe it or not, there is more to the law than your rights. In this case, there is regulation that benefits the whole nation, and the nonsense idea that someone should be exempt from the law because they own a lot of property and believe in a religion. No one's beliefs should entitle them to special treatment under the law. Only facts should. The facts are that more easily available contraceptives are a boon to society. The facts are that health insurance covers contraceptives. The facts are not that anyone's opinions about other people's sexual activities has a damn thing to do with the laws governing insurance or contraceptives.
    The fact is that the SCOTUS ruled against you because a law cannot conflict with the Constitution itself.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Is there a right wing dumb analogy generator somewhere. Hobby Lobby wasn't being asked to buy birth control, but that it be included in the heath insurance they provide.
    I googled it, and your post was the second hit, so I gues thats a 'no': http://www.google.com/search?client=...erator&spell=1

  9. #39
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    I wasn't referring to constitutional rights, which is why I inserted IMO. Basic needs should be a constitutional right, as well as the ability to purchase a gun. The supreme court decision was flawed because it did not account for the separation of church and state.
    Amendment 1
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

    It appears your opinion is flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  10. #40
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I would support a constitutional amendment guaranteeing every woman a boob job.



    Sounds reasonable to me. Why should some women have them and others have to do without?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •