View Poll Results: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 9.09%
  • No

    40 90.91%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,273

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Is there a right wing dumb analogy generator somewhere. Hobby Lobby wasn't being asked to buy birth control, but that it be included in the heath insurance they provide.
    So? What is the fundamental difference between me buying birth control or me paying for a policy that buys it for you?

    I think the problem here isn't 'dumb right wing analogies' but power hungry left wing totalitarians that want to use the power of the state to force everyone to bend to their will. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the concept of a free society rather than insulting everyone who objects to your arbitrary use of force.

  2. #12
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    not even close.......
    Your denial means nothing to me.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #13
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Is there a right wing dumb analogy generator somewhere. Hobby Lobby wasn't being asked to buy birth control, but that it be included in the heath insurance they provide.
    How is that not the same thing?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #14
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    not even close.......
    Please explain. Take as much space as necessary.
    Last edited by radcen; 07-04-14 at 11:03 AM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #15
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    No one has banned contraception, taken away your access to it, your ability to use it, or refused you service because you take it.

    It's all a matter of who pays for it.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  6. #16
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    So? What is the fundamental difference between me buying birth control or me paying for a policy that buys it for you?

    I think the problem here isn't 'dumb right wing analogies' but power hungry left wing totalitarians that want to use the power of the state to force everyone to bend to their will. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the concept of a free society rather than insulting everyone who objects to your arbitrary use of force.
    Totalitarians??????? wow another person who has no idea what that word means.

    The difference is simple. We have a law that is Constitutional that regulates health insurance. Since most people get their health insurance through their employer as part of their compensation package it involves their employer. The regulation of that health insurance had birth control as part of the regular medical treatment provided. Hobby Lobby objected to some because of a religious belief meaning they were imposing their belief on their employees by telling them what medical treatments they can receive with their employer sponsored health insurance. So what we have is the question of how far can the government go for public health and what rights do your employers have over your life. The court ruled in an odd way trying to narrow the scope to family owner (even if publicly traded companies) can use their religious beliefs to circumvent the law. I find it troubling because in the long run I think other religious beliefs might be able to be used for other things.

    The idea that arguing that a corporation cannot use their religious beliefs to avoid a law has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment being violated by a company not buying you a gun. I don't even know where to start to show how dumb that is.

    However I do have a question as I know that some faiths do not like hunting or violence and have strong held beliefs about the sacred nature of all life. So can a employer with strong anti-violence beliefs force their employees to carry health insurance that doesn't cover, gun shot wounds from hunting accidents? injuries from fights or amateur boxing? What about Muslim employers who don't want to cover the result of using alcohol? See the point?

    While the argument that the restrictions on Hobby Lobby were good enough to persuade the 5 conservative men on the court. I think we can still have a reasonable disagreement about how the argument is crafted and we care read one of the greatest legal minds of the last half century who wrote a great dissent, or you can continue to build strawmen (not that the left isn't also).

  7. #17
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Your denial means nothing to me.
    Your mindnumbing ignorance has the same effect on me.

  8. #18
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Is there a right wing dumb analogy generator somewhere. Hobby Lobby wasn't being asked to buy birth control, but that it be included in the heath insurance they provide.
    You are right in the fact they were not ASKED to buy birth control.They were being TOLD they had to buy birth control.Being asked implies that there is a choice. If someone bought you a car and the dirt bike sized spare tire for the car was a condition of buying you a car they still bought you a dirt bike sized spar tire for the car.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #19
    User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    04-17-16 @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    62

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Is there a right wing dumb analogy generator somewhere. Hobby Lobby wasn't being asked to buy birth control, but that it be included in the heath insurance they provide.

    I knew liberals were stupid, but not so stupid to majorly self contradict themselves in the same statement.

  10. #20
    Student Blackstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    218

    Re: Does it violate my 2nd amendment rights if my employer doesn't buy me a gun?

    Obviously not, but if what passes for liberal "reasoning" were applied consistently [pause to recover from hysterical laughter] then, yessir, they would. Good analogy.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •