View Poll Results: Should an employer be allowed to impose Sharia Law on their employees?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 16.36%
  • No

    40 72.73%
  • Other

    6 10.91%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 181

Thread: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    07-10-14 @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    100

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The employees have the same access to those 4 forms of birth control as they did 2 weeks ago.

    Obama should have known about both RFRA and the First Amendment when he & HHS added that provision to the law. It isn't HL's fault. It's Obama's & HHS' faults.
    Did you ever read Scalia's opinion on a Peyote case up in Oregon or Washington where he took the opposite position? This isn't about the constitution Tres ... it's a Court with a very conservative agenda ....

  2. #172
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricatalian View Post
    this may have opened the door to a big mess ... but, ironically, it may have helped Democrats for 2016, maybe even 2014 ... Hopefully Democrats will use it and use it effectively ...
    I agree this helped the Democrats. But if people are voting exclusively on the issue of an employer reducing the cost of Plan-B from $50 down to a co-pay of $10 or $20, then we as a nation are in very, very serious trouble.

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Seen
    07-10-14 @ 06:13 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    100

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I agree this helped the Democrats. But if people are voting exclusively on the issue of an employer reducing the cost of Plan-B from $50 down to a co-pay of $10 or $20, then we as a nation are in very, very serious trouble.
    not exclusively, but when it's part of a pattern ...

  4. #174
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricatalian View Post
    Did you ever read Scalia's opinion on a Peyote case up in Oregon or Washington where he took the opposite position? This isn't about the constitution Tres ... it's a Court with a very conservative agenda ....
    The HL case was based on RFRA.

    Of course the 5 judges on the Court who (IMO correctly) made this decision have a conservative agenda. Just like the 4 dissenters have a Liberal agenda.

  5. #175
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricatalian View Post
    not exclusively, but when it's part of a pattern ...
    4 forms of birth control are a pattern?

  6. #176
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Forced to work isn't the same thing as being forced to work for a specific employer.

    I have to work because we wouldn't live as well on Mr. B's salary alone, and at one time his employer's benefits sucked ass. But I wasn't forced to work for a specific employer.
    No, you're not forced to work for a specific employer, but points such as "nobody forces you to work there" are too simplistic to be of any real value. There are way too many varying factors to consider. While you may not be forced to work someplace in the most literal sense, often the "choice" isn't really a choice as the word implies.

    I'm not picking on you specifically. This point is common and bandied about often by many people.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #177
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No, you're not forced to work for a specific employer, but points such as "nobody forces you to work there" are too simplistic to be of any real value. There are way too many varying factors to consider. While you may not be forced to work someplace in the most literal sense, often the "choice" isn't really a choice as the word implies.

    I'm not picking on you specifically. This point is common and bandied about often by many people.
    My point was correct, radcen. Nobody in this country today is forced to work for any employer (not including prostitution or prison jobs). That's a fact.

  8. #178
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    My point was correct, radcen. Nobody in this country today is forced to work for any employer (not including prostitution or prison jobs). That's a fact.
    Yes, if you stop there, that is a fact. It is also shortsighted and incomplete. That is also a fact.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #179
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yes, if you stop there, that is a fact. It is also shortsighted and incomplete. That is also a fact.
    The context of the discussion was clear. Nobody is forced to work for a Muslim company. Nothing shortsighted about it.

  10. #180
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: If an Employer Believes In Sharia Law

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    If an employer believes in Sharia Law should they be allowed to impose Sharia law on its employees?
    I would expect any employer who believes in Sharia Law to impose it on their employees as much as they can. If I were a woman and worked in an Islamic store I would expect to be required to wear head covering. All employers do so on some issues. IBM required employees to wear white shirts, the FBI required a certain look for agents, Disney and many others companies don't allow facial hair. Target doesn't allow guns on premises by their employees. Many companies have drug testing.

    We get up hung up needlessly on "religion". It seems odd that we allow all sorts of discriminatory practices but, gee, if the reason for discrimination smacks of religion then it is not allowed. Ironic for a country that proclaims religious freedom.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •