View Poll Results: Does US drug problem warrant offering refugee status to people from cartel areas?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    6 16.22%
  • No.

    31 83.78%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

  1. #1
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    I was watching a report this morning on the influx of illegal immigrants. They interviewed one lady who said the reason she and her children entered America was to escape the danger of living in her own country that is now controlled by drug cartels. It dawned on me, the drug cartels exist because of the American market and demand for illegal drugs. A huge often unspoken cause of the illegal immigration problem is possibly American-made; our demand for illegal drugs that have made their country uninhabitable due to the organized crime culture that now exists in their country. If American vices have inadvertently created a drug cartel controlled war zone in their country, do we have a moral obligation to offer the otherwise law abiding citizens of those affected countries sanctuary as refugees?
    Last edited by Smeagol; 07-02-14 at 08:42 AM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #2
    Student Blackstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    218

    Re: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    No, the United States does not have a moral obligation to offer sanctuary to refugees on account of any American market for illegal drugs.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,357

    Re: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I was watching a report this morning on the influx of illegal immigrants. They interviewed one lady who said the reason she and her children entered America was to escape the danger of living in her own country that is now controlled by drug cartels. It dawned on me, the drug cartels exist because of the American market and demand for illegal drugs. A huge often unspoken cause of the illegal immigration problem is possibly American-made; our demand for illegal drugs that have made their country uninhabitable due to the organized crime culture that now exists in their country. If American vices have inadvertently created a drug cartel controlled war zone in their country, do we have a moral obligation to offer the otherwise law abiding citizens of those affected countries sanctuary as refugees?
    The US and almost all organized areas around the world have really messed up with drugs. We should not have forbidden them but sold them in a monitored way. We have wasted enormous resources and fed criminal organizations so much moneys that the have grown to the size of states.

    We certainly have to change our ways. But that does not mean, that we need allow sanctuary unless we want to. I do not really see the obligation. If we don't let people in that are starving, why let these people in?

  4. #4
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,203

    Re: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    The Cartels are also big into human trafficking so...hell no.

    BTW: These people have been given a list of excuses for entering the US illegally. They're going to say whatever they need to.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    Neither yes nor no .
    We need a new approach here, NOT the old tired conservative failed one ..
    Why are so many using drugs ?
    Where are they getting all the money from ?
    I have never received any good answers , nothing that makes sense.
    And, these Central American nations also have their responsibilities, which apparently have been ignored..

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    Now, I am voting "yes" , , a complex yes ..We must also have a ton of change/reform, improvement..NO more meddling ! .. in the affairs of Iraq, Afghanistan , Syria, etc. But, pay attention to home ..and our people .. including those who find it necessary to use drugs..
    A yes vote to counter those from the conservative-extremists.. or libertarians

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    The US and almost all organized areas around the world have really messed up with drugs. We should not have forbidden them but sold them in a monitored way. We have wasted enormous resources and fed criminal organizations so much moneys that the have grown to the size of states.

    We certainly have to change our ways. But that does not mean, that we need allow sanctuary unless we want to. I do not really see the obligation. If we don't let people in that are starving, why let these people in?
    Is it better to leave these people at home to be murdered ? IF we are truly and exceptional nation, then we will accept responsibility .. that is IF ..and do we have the people for this ??

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,357

    Re: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Is it better to leave these people at home to be murdered ? IF we are truly and exceptional nation, then we will accept responsibility .. that is IF ..and do we have the people for this ??

    If you say so, that corresponds to your set of what it means to be "exceptional". But I ask you, is it better to leave the people home to starve to death or to take the risk of the gangs that they have? Do you propose bringing everyone in the world home or just the ones you have pictures of? And are you personally going to pay for them?

  9. #9
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I was watching a report this morning on the influx of illegal immigrants. They interviewed one lady who said the reason she and her children entered America was to escape the danger of living in her own country that is now controlled by drug cartels. It dawned on me, the drug cartels exist because of the American market and demand for illegal drugs. A huge often unspoken cause of the illegal immigration problem is possibly American-made; our demand for illegal drugs that have made their country uninhabitable due to the organized crime culture that now exists in their country. If American vices have inadvertently created a drug cartel controlled war zone in their country, do we have a moral obligation to offer the otherwise law abiding citizens of those affected countries sanctuary as refugees?
    I empathize with them, but no.

    It should also be noted that people everywhere have vices, the same vices even. People get high/intoxicated all over the world. It's not just America. The difference being that we have the wherewithal to pay higher prices. Excuse us for having built a better standard of living.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #10
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Does the US owe otherwise law abiding Latin Americans sancuary from druglords?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I empathize with them, but no.

    It should also be noted that people everywhere have vices, the same vices even. People get high/intoxicated all over the world. It's not just America. The difference being that we have the wherewithal to pay higher prices. Excuse us for having built a better standard of living.
    Yes, I agree However, the Latin American cartels aren't supplying Germany with illegal drugs.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •