View Poll Results: Should there be sex offense convictions based on accusers word without corroboration?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes -- more then now.

    2 6.06%
  • Yes -- keep current system.

    1 3.03%
  • Yes -- in very rare cases.

    2 6.06%
  • No.

    28 84.85%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65

Thread: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

  1. #11
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    There's nothing sadder than a list like this. One wonders, as in one case where a signed confession was ignored and never, apparently, passed on to the defense, if anyone goes to jail or loses their law license or is censured in any way.

    Every once in a while we read about someone where new evidence has absolutely shown that the person is not guilty, yet just to get it reviewed takes years. It shouldn't be that way.

    The justice system is far from perfect. Thanks for the work you went to in order to remind us.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #12
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If someone is accused of anything, let alone a sex crime, without proof and they plead guilty - they're idiots. The system is designed to give benefit of the doubt, so even people who actually did do it are often better to go to trial than plead out.
    In theory, you're right. In practice, the state can spend a family broke. Public defenders are only appointed if one is broke. Getting there may devastate an innocent man and his family.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In theory, you're right. In practice, the state can spend a family broke. Public defenders are only appointed if one is broke. Getting there may devastate an innocent man and his family.
    If it ever happened to me, I would defend myself. I've seen enough Law and Order. I can manage.

  4. #14
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If it ever happened to me, I would defend myself. I've seen enough Law and Order. I can manage.
    BREAKING NEWS: Libertarian receives death penalty for shoplifting licorice. Details at 11.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #15
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If it ever happened to me, I would defend myself. I've seen enough Law and Order. I can manage.
    This would be a very bad idea.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    This would be a very bad idea.
    Not really. I've had a few law classes in college and I keep up on courtroom procedure. I'm also a rather eloquent speaker.

    Am I Johnny Cochran? Nope. Could I get myself off from a baseless charge? Easily.

  7. #17
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Not really. I've had a few law classes in college and I keep up on courtroom procedure. I'm also a rather eloquent speaker.

    Am I Johnny Cochran? Nope. Could I get myself off from a baseless charge? Easily.
    You sound confident, so I won't worry about you. Hopefully you'll never have to defend yourself.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    You sound confident, so I won't worry about you. Hopefully you'll never have to defend yourself.
    So far, so good.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,823

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by SCitizen View Post
    In most date rape cases there is evidence of intercourse, but not evidence of force or lack of consent.
    There is still the totality of the circumstances around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #20
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,831

    Re: Should those accused os sex offences be convicted on "he said she said" evidence?

    Quote Originally Posted by SCitizen View Post
    In most date rape cases there is evidence of intercourse, but not evidence of force or lack of consent.
    What is the source for this?
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •