View Poll Results: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 52.94%
  • No

    6 35.29%
  • Don't know/Other

    2 11.76%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    well, I don't believe political experience is necessary for our chief executive... some form of leadership experience, however, is.

    in fact, I find it preferable that our chief executive has little or no political experience, as I am of the opinion that having ample political experience is tantamount to saying " I have an abundance of corruption in my past"

    I do believe, however, that an executive with little or no political experience should have a politically savvy chief of staff .. or at least savvy advisers.
    how to wade through the murky paths of the cess pool of politics is something the chief executive should be advised on.. if he already knows his way, it just means he's at home in the cess pool, and i don't consider that to be a positive.

    as far as this this type of "experience" is concerned, i have no problem with Ben Carson as President..... i have other reason why i wouldn't vote for him and would find myself opposing him.. but lack of political experience is not one of them... it's actually a positive in my book.

  2. #12
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-13-18 @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,232

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    I think it is possible, but they would have to be very talented and knowledgeable. A Sal Khan or Elon Musk would have a much shorter learning curve than a Ben Carson. Carson has the raw talent but I think him being the 2016 President of the United States would be like him doing surgery as a first year university freshman instead of ten yrs later as a recent graduate from medical school. Ideally, you want the graduate with the knowledge plus minimum ten yrs experience. We are talking the President of the United States.
    Last edited by laska; 07-01-14 at 05:08 PM.

  3. #13
    Student Blackstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    05-21-17 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    218

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I'm asking this mainly because of the recent presidential speculation about Ben Carson, but this could also apply to other potential candidates whose names have been bounced around that have never held political office. Even if a candidate is a well spoken, intelligent, and successful individual whose policies you almost completely agree with, is that enough to make up for the lack of ever holding any sort of political office or working for the government on any level. Can that candidate be better than those who, although you might agree with them a little less, have extensive executive and/or legislative experience. Can this candidate overcome what I assume would be a large learning curve that other candidates would not have?
    Not really, but it is possible. We've seen symbolism triumph over substance in more than one election.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,133
    Blog Entries
    27

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I'm asking this mainly because of the recent presidential speculation about Ben Carson, but this could also apply to other potential candidates whose names have been bounced around that have never held political office. Even if a candidate is a well spoken, intelligent, and successful individual whose policies you almost completely agree with, is that enough to make up for the lack of ever holding any sort of political office or working for the government on any level. Can that candidate be better than those who, although you might agree with them a little less, have extensive executive and/or legislative experience. Can this candidate overcome what I assume would be a large learning curve that other candidates would not have?

    I would say yes, it all depends on whom one surrounds himself with. Eisenhower had no political experience whatsoever, although he was a 5 star general. What he did was first surround himself with good people and then reach across the aisle to the other party to make friends with them. He met with LBJ, then the Democratic majority leader in the senate three times a week in the white to discuss how IKE could get his agenda through congress. In my opinion, IKE has been the best president in my lifetime and he had no political experience whatsoever when it comes to holding political office.

    It all depends on the individual. We have had presidents who whole life was nothing but politics and some have been bummers.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:48 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,591
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I would say yes, it all depends on whom one surrounds himself with. Eisenhower had no political experience whatsoever, although he was a 5 star general. What he did was first surround himself with good people and then reach across the aisle to the other party to make friends with them. He met with LBJ, then the Democratic majority leader in the senate three times a week in the white to discuss how IKE could get his agenda through congress. In my opinion, IKE has been the best president in my lifetime and he had no political experience whatsoever when it comes to holding political office.

    It all depends on the individual. We have had presidents who whole life was nothing but politics and some have been bummers.
    Ike's experience as a 5 star was the ultimate political experience.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  6. #16
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I'm asking this mainly because of the recent presidential speculation about Ben Carson, but this could also apply to other potential candidates whose names have been bounced around that have never held political office. Even if a candidate is a well spoken, intelligent, and successful individual whose policies you almost completely agree with, is that enough to make up for the lack of ever holding any sort of political office or working for the government on any level. Can that candidate be better than those who, although you might agree with them a little less, have extensive executive and/or legislative experience. Can this candidate overcome what I assume would be a large learning curve that other candidates would not have?
    Given sufficient talent, of course. Especially in political circles, calls for experience almost exclusively translate as baseless seniority. This should have no place in a democracy.

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,334

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Given sufficient talent, of course. Especially in political circles, calls for experience almost exclusively translate as baseless seniority. This should have no place in a democracy.
    I disagree. In presidential politics, I don't see people calling out candidates experience for people who have served only one or two terms as governor or senator. There's not a push to have the 30 year reps run. It's only where you get much less than that where people call for experience. They generally don't want someone to hold the most powerful office in the world when they have never done anything like it before.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  8. #18
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    I voted yes with the caveat he has the intelligence to do so.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #19
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    I disagree. In presidential politics, I don't see people calling out candidates experience for people who have served only one or two terms as governor or senator. There's not a push to have the 30 year reps run. It's only where you get much less than that where people call for experience. They generally don't want someone to hold the most powerful office in the world when they have never done anything like it before.
    Sure, misconceptions are commonplace. Now look to a historical record of characters whose protracted tenures did nothing to offset ineptitude. Or to others whose lack of 'experience' in no way diminished their achievements. Is blind repetition sufficient to confer expertise? To what extent do we assume that great leaders owe their brilliance to cronyism, partiality or the relative poverty of their opponents?

    Those faculties that distinguish the notables from the also-rans are always those that couldn't be inculcated by longevity. Rather, they are those expressions we might call vision, creativity, strategic knack, social intelligence, communication and intuition that owe little, if anything to repositories of knowledge that in any case couldn't be completely lost on anyone who is eligible to run for higher office.

    Of course, the average electorate remains ignorant of such distinctions. To the advantage of the aforementioned lightweights.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    260

    Re: Can a presidential candidate make up for a complete lack of political experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Obama held political office before he became president.



    While alot of the fault for us getting into Vietnam is Kennedy's, we were there before him, and the war did not really start till he was dead.

    Obama held political office? That's your litmus test?

    By that logic Palin was more qualified than Obama as she'd been in political office longer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •