View Poll Results: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st

    0 0%
  • 2nd

    0 0%
  • 3rd

    0 0%
  • 4th

    1 1.69%
  • 5th

    1 1.69%
  • 16th

    18 30.51%
  • 17th

    16 27.12%
  • 22nd

    3 5.08%
  • Other (Please elaborate)

    12 20.34%
  • None

    28 47.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 126

Thread: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Just curious... Why do you feel that poll taxes are acceptable?
    Because I don't adhere to the modern idea that voting is a fundamental right.

    To be clear, I don't think that poll taxes are a good idea, but insofar as states have general authority over presidential elections, I don't see why they should be prohibited from imposing a poll tax, if they choose to do so.

  2. #102
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Because I don't adhere to the modern idea that voting is a fundamental right.

    To be clear, I don't think that poll taxes are a good idea, but insofar as states have general authority over presidential elections, I don't see why they should be prohibited from imposing a poll tax, if they choose to do so.
    Interesting point-of-view. What would the purpose of a poll tax be other than disenfranchisement*? I don't necessarily disagree that voting is not a fundamental right, but neither do I feel that unnecessary roadblocks should be put up to discourage anybody from doing it.

    *-A term I do not use loosely, as I feel that it is way over-used and incorrectly used in today's society, but I think it applies here.

    Side note: I disagree with those who feel that requiring (paid for) ID qualifies as a poll tax.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Interesting point-of-view. What would the purpose of a poll tax be other than disenfranchisement*? I don't necessarily disagree that voting is not a fundamental right, but neither do I feel that unnecessary roadblocks should be put up to discourage anybody from doing it.

    *-A term I do not use loosely, as I feel that it is way over-used and incorrectly used in today's society, but I think it applies here.

    Side note: I disagree with those who feel that requiring (paid for) ID qualifies as a poll tax.
    Again, I'm not defending a poll tax as such, only the right of states to impose such if they choose to.

    As far as why (non illegitimate reasons) a state might wish to impose a poll tax, they could be simply trying to raise revenue, they could use the money to help pay for the election itself, they could be trying to prevent people who have no concern with politics from voting, they could be of the opinion that contributing to society by paying such a tax should be required to participate in the elections, they could simply use it as a way of avoiding the costs of enforcing general taxation, or they could have some other reason. As I said, I'm not defending the prudence of poll taxes, but only that states should be allowed to do so.

  4. #104
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Again, I'm not defending a poll tax as such, only the right of states to impose such if they choose to.

    As far as why (non illegitimate reasons) a state might wish to impose a poll tax, they could be simply trying to raise revenue, they could use the money to help pay for the election itself, they could be trying to prevent people who have no concern with politics from voting, they could be of the opinion that contributing to society by paying such a tax should be required to participate in the elections, they could simply use it as a way of avoiding the costs of enforcing general taxation, or they could have some other reason. As I said, I'm not defending the prudence of poll taxes, but only that states should be allowed to do so.
    Something tells me that one would take care of itself.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Something tells me that one would take care of itself.
    Perhaps I should have been more specific, I meant those who have no concern with being the least bit knowledgeable about politics. Think of people who don't know who the VP is, or how many senators their state has, but vote anyway.

  6. #106
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Perhaps I should have been more specific, I meant those who have no concern with being the least bit knowledgeable about politics. Think of people who don't know who the VP is, or how many senators their state has, but vote anyway.
    Got'cha. In a similar vein, I have never been a fan of "get out the vote" campaigns. Either you already care enough to vote (and educate yourself, hopefully) or you don't. If you don't, please just stay home. You shouldn't be gumming up the process for everyone else.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Got'cha. In a similar vein, I have never been a fan of "get out the vote" campaigns. Either you already care enough to vote (and educate yourself, hopefully) or you don't. If you don't, please just stay home. You shouldn't be gumming up the process for everyone else.
    I agree.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?
    • 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 16th
    • 17th
    • 22nd
    • Other (Please elaborate)
    • None

    This poll presumes the reader/participant is at least minimally educated and knows which Amendments are which.

    You may vote for more than one, as some people feel that several should be repealed.
    We should make a new Constitution every 19 years. No amendments necessary, just put the new stuff in the new Constitution, leave out what you don't want anymore, reword things to fit modern dialect.

    No more "interpreting" this right or that right, its either in there plane as day or it doesn't exist. Right to marry, right to abortion, right to military arms.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-06-14 at 02:50 AM.

  9. #109
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Because I don't adhere to the modern idea that voting is a fundamental right.

    To be clear, I don't think that poll taxes are a good idea, but insofar as states have general authority over presidential elections, I don't see why they should be prohibited from imposing a poll tax, if they choose to do so.
    Ummm, I could be wrong (the law of averages says it will happen eventually) but it looks to me that you think that a poll tax has something to do with voting. Are you sure you know what a poll tax is? I know when I was younger I thought it was a tax on voting.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Ummm, I could be wrong (the law of averages says it will happen eventually) but it looks to me that you think that a poll tax has something to do with voting. Are you sure you know what a poll tax is? I know when I was younger I thought it was a tax on voting.
    A poll tax is a tax that must be payed in order for a person to vote.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •