View Poll Results: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1st

    0 0%
  • 2nd

    0 0%
  • 3rd

    0 0%
  • 4th

    1 1.69%
  • 5th

    1 1.69%
  • 16th

    18 30.51%
  • 17th

    16 27.12%
  • 22nd

    3 5.08%
  • Other (Please elaborate)

    12 20.34%
  • None

    28 47.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 126

Thread: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

  1. #91
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,497

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    They are not yet "convicted" criminals. If however, they have committed a crime, then they are indeed a criminal.
    "Convicted criminal" is a redundancy. They are not a criminal until they are convicted.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #92
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Sure, under the condition that it is applied retroactively through your ancestors. If one of them wasn't a citizen, you're out.
    For that to be legal, you'd have to amend the Constitution to overturn Article I, section 9, paragraph 3a provision that is there for a very good reason.
    Meh. He thought he was making a point.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #93
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,377

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    no.... the federal has no power to tax income before the 16th it was done during the civil war, however it was unconstitutional,and removed,
    No, it was never found unconstitutional, and it was repealed because it was only meant to last for the war.

    in the 1890's the opinion of the court was any income tax would have to be by an amendment to be legal...... all taxes in article 1 section 8 are voluntary taxes. .......placed on the states, ...not the people.
    Well, let's look first at Article I Section 8 "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;" How do you get that only means voluntary taxes placed on the states?

    For the income tax, the question was actually about Section 9: "No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken." The Scotus in Pollock v Farmer's Loan and Trust 158 U.S. 601 (1895) ruled that a tax on income derived from real estate or personal property was a direct tax under the meaning of Section 9 and therefore had to be apportioned among the states. The rest of the income tax was ruled constitutional, but the Court considered the 2 parts too interwined to rule only part of the act unconstitional and so threw the whole thing out.
    We have considered the act only in respect of the tax on income derived from real estate, and from invested personal property, and have not commented on so much of it as bears on gains or profits from business, privileges, or employments, in view of the instances in which taxation on business, privileges, or employments has assumed the guise of an excise tax and been sustained as such.

    Being of opinion that so much of the sections of this law as lays a tax on income from real and personal property is invalid, we are brought to the question of the effect of that conclusion upon these sections as a whole.

    It is elementary that the same statute may be in part constitutional and in part unconstitutional, and, if the parts are wholly independent of each other, that which is constitutional may stand, while that which is unconstitutional will be rejected. And in the case before us there is no question as to the validity of this act, except sections 27 to 37, inclusive, which relate to the subject which has been under discussion...
    Let me reiterate the bolded part...."no question as to the validity of this act except..." the sections dealing with income from real estate or propery.

    by government taxing our income it gives government power over you, ...something the founders did not want.
    Generally not. But that doesn't make it unconstitutional. And you can't point out anything in the constitution that would disallow an income tax. An income tax was proposed during the War of 1812 but it was not enacted. Neither was it ruled unconstitutional.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  4. #94
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    No, it was never found unconstitutional, and it was repealed because it was only meant to last for the war.

    Well, let's look first at Article I Section 8 "The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;" How do you get that only means voluntary taxes placed on the states?

    For the income tax, the question was actually about Section 9: "No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken." The Scotus in Pollock v Farmer's Loan and Trust 158 U.S. 601 (1895) ruled that a tax on income derived from real estate or personal property was a direct tax under the meaning of Section 9 and therefore had to be apportioned among the states. The rest of the income tax was ruled constitutional, but the Court considered the 2 parts too interwined to rule only part of the act unconstitional and so threw the whole thing out.
    Let me reiterate the bolded part...."no question as to the validity of this act except..." the sections dealing with income from real estate or propery.

    Generally not. But that doesn't make it unconstitutional. And you can't point out anything in the constitution that would disallow an income tax. An income tax was proposed during the War of 1812 but it was not enacted. Neither was it ruled unconstitutional.


    ITS SIMPLE.........its in the constitution.

    article 1 section 2 clause 3

    Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.


    article 1 section 9 clause 4

    No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.


    under the founders taxes are voluntary, they are not compulsory ,because that defies the founding principles of ..property.


    none of the powers of congress in article 1 section 8 , have anything to do with the personal life's of the people.


    james Madison--The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by SCitizen View Post
    One of the reasons USA has a very high murder and violent crime rate is celebration of violence in the movies.
    The USA is not unique in having a large quantity of violent content in the media, our films are distributed world wide. There is no proof of correlation between media content and violence. Censoring violence is a very slippery slope and it is extremely difficult to decide where to draw the line. Arguably, gory violence that shows the actual painful and messy consequences of violence is more responsible than violence that is depicted as quick, clean and easy.

  6. #96
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,138

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    The USA is not unique in having a large quantity of violent content in the media, our films are distributed world wide.
    USA has corrupting influence on the World.

  7. #97
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,756

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by SCitizen View Post
    USA has corrupting influence on the World.
    But is that corruption positive or negative? and since it has already occurred, how do you know said corruption is not corrupting your response to the perceived corruption?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    that is the standard conservatives use to condemn obama.
    Oh, to the contrary. I would love to even have the opportunity to put Obama in a courtroom knowing full well that he is innocent until proven guilty.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    The 17th Amendment should be repealed.

    As should the Establishment clause and the part of the 24th prohibiting poll taxes in presidential elections.

  10. #100
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Which Constitutional Amendments, if any, should be repealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    The 17th Amendment should be repealed.

    As should the Establishment clause and the part of the 24th prohibiting poll taxes in presidential elections.
    Just curious... Why do you feel that poll taxes are acceptable?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •