View Poll Results: Do you believe diversity offers a company benefits beyond their image?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    17 41.46%
  • No

    20 48.78%
  • Other

    4 9.76%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 103

Thread: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Well, you can have one which may be right or may be wrong or you can have several to choose from, some of which are right and some of which are wrong.
    I made no mention of them being right in any way shape or form.
    I clearly stated not when they are wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    It isn't just about simple right or wrong anyway. Take the example given above about nobody at an American cereal company knowing people in some other countries put yoghurt rather than milk on cereal.
    Pretty much irrelevant and does not supersede qualifications.
    Now if a company wants to hire someone for such, good for them, that would be the qualifications and relevant.
    But seeking diversity for the sake of diversity is asinine. And we know the type of diversity you are speaking to is not the diversity meant.


    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Similarly, I work in IT for a hospital and some of the people we hire aren't just ones with IT skills and knowledge but people who also have medical knowledge. With both covered within the team, we can provide a better service than just having one or the other.
    Unless hired for such insight, irrelevant.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #32
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    My company is on a big diversity kick lately. I believe the main reason companies strive for a diverse workforce is because it makes them look good. But that's not the message that they try to pass off to us (obviously).

    So do you think that diversity offers a company benefits beyond making them look good? Do you think a diverse workforce works better/smarter/harder/more efficiently/etc. than one made up of the best qualified people regardless of demographics?
    Yes, diversity does have benefits, but it's not the "be all and end all" that some portray it to be.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #33
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    My company is on a big diversity kick lately. I believe the main reason companies strive for a diverse workforce is because it makes them look good. But that's not the message that they try to pass off to us (obviously).

    So do you think that diversity offers a company benefits beyond making them look good? Do you think a diverse workforce works better/smarter/harder/more efficiently/etc. than one made up of the best qualified people regardless of demographics?

    I think it helps society if the society is in fact diverse. If like China for example, there society is not diverse, then it has no benefit.

    One thing I've personally found to be true is in the business world, being the most qualified is only one factor that determines who gets hired/promoted, and its not even the primary factor. Favoritism based on a wide range of things has a far bigger impact on hiring and promotion than qualifications. Family connections, friends of somebody the boss knows, loyalty to whoever has dirt on the company and was nice enough not to whistle blow, rewarding someone for a favor owed. And I'm going to go there: who the boss has a crush on, who is willing to flirt with the boss while skilling keeping him at a safe distance, who is willing to sleep with the boss. If you have factors like these playing a bigger role in hiring/promotions than qualifications up front, IMHO its hard to make the "just hire the most qualified person" case. Chances are if you get advanced through the "most qualified" path, you're probably the hardest, smartest, most talented worker in the building; willing to go the extra mile time after time after time while others have nowhere near the same level of expectations, many of whom hold key positions possibly over you because they advanced through the favoritism path.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    260

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    Ah diversity....

    By all means let's not hire based on qualifications or ability, let's just look at skin color and genitalia.

  5. #35
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,494

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    I made no mention of them being right in any way shape or form.
    I clearly stated not when they are wrong.
    Opinions and perspectives are going to be right or wrong (or most likely somewhere in between). You can't talk about "wrong" and not let "right" in to the discussion too. The point is that if you're working with just one and it is wrong (or imperfect), you're stuck with it. If you have several varying opinions (of varying validities), you might have a discussion and work towards the best conclusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Pretty much irrelevant and does not supersede qualifications.
    I was making a much more general point (joke) about the benefits of ending up in a situation with a diversity of knowledge, experiences and opinions. How we might get there is a different matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    But seeking diversity for the sake of diversity is asinine. And we know the type of diversity you are speaking to is not the diversity meant.
    I certainly agree there is no point seeking diversity for no specific reason and I fully understand what most people are talking about when they refer to diversity (positively or negatively) but there is an element of the practical diversity I'm talking about that will inevitably come from a group with a range of ages, genders, social, racial or national backgrounds compared to any kind of homogenous group.

    Again though, I'm talking about the outcome, not the route to it (yet?). I don't think there can be an honest discussion of those practical questions (Affirmative Action, quotas, employment discrimination laws, "the glass ceiling" etc.) without some shared understanding and agreement on the consequences.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Unless hired for such insight, irrelevant.
    They are hired for that insight. What's more, they can be hired to bring that diversity to the wider team. With two candidates, one high technical and one less technical but with clinical experience, the choice may well factor in what range of technical skills and clinical background already exist in the team.

  6. #36
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    I suppose it could but "diversity" is usually just a political correct word for different skin tones.

  7. #37
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    11-18-15 @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    440

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    That's a load of crap, since I see plenty of straight white males get hired and promoted.
    But would you call that diverse?

    I mean this is a big country with vast regional differences. Would you consider a company that hired nothing but straight, white men from all over the country with vastly different backgrounds as diverse? If your answer is no then doesn't the poster have a point that "diverse" has become code word for not straight white male?
    Last edited by shavingcollywob; 06-30-14 at 11:14 AM.

  8. #38
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    Quote Originally Posted by DB20 View Post
    Ah diversity....

    By all means let's not hire based on qualifications or ability, let's just look at skin color and genitalia.
    And my post wasn't meant to imply favoritism in hiring and promotions means people are not qualified to hold their positions, only that they might not be the MOST qualified. So in a world where hormones, loneliness, eye-candy, flirtation, being in the right family, having the right friends, office politics, etc. all play a bigger role than being the MOST qualified anyway; I can see why some people do not take issue with promoting diversity in the workplace in the mix. Especially if for whatever reasons people of different ethnicity or genders are statistically under represented in the eye-candy, filtration, official politic, nepotism "in-crowd."
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #39
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Opinions and perspectives are going to be right or wrong (or most likely somewhere in between). You can't talk about "wrong" and not let "right" in to the discussion too. The point is that if you're working with just one and it is wrong (or imperfect), you're stuck with it. If you have several varying opinions (of varying validities), you might have a discussion and work towards the best conclusion.
    Not at all. I did not mention it and it was not needed.,
    When you are dealing with right and wrong, diversity matters not one bit.


    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    I was making a much more general point (joke) about the benefits of ending up in a situation with a diversity of knowledge, experiences and opinions. How we might get there is a different matter.
    Which is why I replied with the following.
    Pretty much irrelevant and does not supersede qualifications.
    It was irrelevant.


    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    I certainly agree there is no point seeking diversity for no specific reason and I fully understand what most people are talking about when they refer to diversity (positively or negatively) but there is an element of the practical diversity I'm talking about that will inevitably come from a group with a range of ages, genders, social, racial or national backgrounds compared to any kind of homogenous group.
    There are very few situations (in regards to over all employment) where such is needed. And when it is, it is hired for. As expanding business onto foreign markets taught us. You know; Like with the Chevy Nova.


    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Again though, I'm talking about the outcome, not the route to it (yet?). I don't think there can be an honest discussion of those practical questions (Affirmative Action, quotas, employment discrimination laws, "the glass ceiling" etc.) without some shared understanding and agreement on the consequences.
    Consequences? That is offensive as it implies something that is not there.
    The only thing needed for that discussion is qualifications.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #40
    User aseidner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    132

    Re: Is diversity beneficial outside of image?

    When a company elevates diversity to a level of importance above qualification and ability, I think that the diversity they achieve does not have many tangible benefits outside of improving their image in the eyes of a PC obsessed society. In fact, if employees and applicants became aware of such a practice, I think a great deal of resentment may be fostered towards the company.

    If a company were to seek diversity while still maintaining the same standards for all applicants, I think they could see some benefits beyond image if they chose the applicant that satisfied the diversity goal over another otherwise equal applicant that did not. Namely, I think it's useful to have different perspectives at the workplace. In any case, it is my understanding that companies do not do this and instead try fabricate diversity by changing the standards by which they hire employees. Diversity is great when it happens, but I think that trying to force it yields results that are of little actual value.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •