View Poll Results: Who has been our greatest President?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • George Washington

    23 21.50%
  • Thomas Jefferson

    5 4.67%
  • Abraham Lincoln

    19 17.76%
  • Teddy Roosevelt

    4 3.74%
  • Woodrow Wilson

    0 0%
  • Franklin Roosevelt

    19 17.76%
  • John Kennedy

    1 0.93%
  • Ronald Reagan

    21 19.63%
  • Bill Clinton

    3 2.80%
  • Other (please elaborate)

    12 11.21%
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 322

Thread: Who has been our greatest President?[W:196]

  1. #271
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Funny, conservative policy is to push for personal excellence not endless government assisstence. I think, you are far more enamored with intent then results.
    Funny, conservative policy has nothing to do with personal excellence. It's more about dictating how others should be, and insulting them if they don't fit into that model. It's very closed minded. I think you are far more enamored with ideology than results.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #272
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Is there a way the discussions about taxes can stop and people can get back on the topic? This is an interesting thread, once all of the completely non-topic posts stop.
    I would agree with you. Problem is that whenever a discussion about the "greatest President" comes up, as soon as FDR is mentioned, our cadre of militant libertarians come out spewing as much hyperbolic ridiculousness as possible, demonstrating an inability to understand the big picture, and a war between FDR-haters and FDR-supporters ensues. I could go through DP history and probably pull up at least a dozen threads just like that.

    Look. We all get it. Libertarians don't like FDR because he was more active and hands on. Progressives like him for those reasons. Guess what? Both are OPINIONS. Those who think they are factually correct about their position tend to be hacks who can't see anything past their own little world. FDR did some very good things. He also did some very questionable things. THAT'S an accurate statement.

    But, moving on, though I don't think he was one of our greatest Presidents, John Adams is an intriguing figure. Yes, the Alien and Sedition Acts was one of the worst laws ever to be put forth in the US, but he handled the XYZ Affair and the Quasi-War, masterfully.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #273
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Funny, conservative policy has nothing to do with personal excellence. It's more about dictating how others should be, and insulting them if they don't fit into that model. It's very closed minded. I think you are far more enamored with ideology than results.
    You mean, having some societal norms? Both sides do. Don't ****ing try to say they don't, you'd be lying through your teeth. Look at those two brothers on HGTV, lost their show because they dared to hold a position not left of center. Just a simple example.

    We can argue the merits of each approach, but don't try to pass that tolerance **** off as not being it's own kinda group think forced societal norms.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #274
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by TobyOne View Post
    In my lifetime (50 yrs) Reagan. Overall probably Washington. Overrated: FDR.
    Underrated:GWB
    . Rated just about right: Carter and Obama.



    G.W.Bush will ultimately be rated a little above the bottom.

    He's not the worst, but he down in that territory.

    Reagan will be somewhere in the middle, not great, but OTOH, not terrible.

    FDR is mighty close to the top, maybe #3.

    Lincoln was the best and Washington was pretty good.

  5. #275
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    However, I would like to put in a plug for one of our more under rated Presidents: Chester A. Arthur. Gotta respect the man. He helped foster civil service reform... even though it alienated him from his party, and it's past manipulation was something that he himself had used to gain power in the past. Doing this showed quite a bit of integrity and bravery, politically, something that we would see very little of in today's world.
    Considering that Arthur's predecessor was shot by someone who opposed civil service reform, it would have made Arthur look really, really bad to pursue his Stalwart agenda, so I'm not sure how much of his integrity stemmed from anything other than political necessity.
    Last edited by MadLib; 06-29-14 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  6. #276
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    In this order:

    1. Abraham Lincoln

    2. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

    3. Thomas Jefferson

    4. Theodore Roosevelt

    5. Woodrow Wilson

    Washington's contribution to the founding of the United States should not be overlooked, but I'm not sure what he did as President (other than not become a military dictator) that would make him be considered one of our greatest.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  7. #277
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Considering that Arthur's predecessor was shot by someone who opposed civil service reform, it would have made Arthur look really, really bad to pursue his Stalwart agenda, so I'm not sure how much of his integrity stemmed from anything other than political necessity.
    Though that may have been part of it, Arthur was solidly in the corner of civil service reform from all indications.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #278
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    You mean, having some societal norms? Both sides do. Don't ****ing try to say they don't, you'd be lying through your teeth. Look at those two brothers on HGTV, lost their show because they dared to hold a position not left of center. Just a simple example.

    We can argue the merits of each approach, but don't try to pass that tolerance **** off as not being it's own kinda group think forced societal norms.
    Of course both sides try to force their own societal norms. But don't try to pass off the conservative agenda as "personal excellence". Both sides have their own viewpoints on what that means, in essence making the concept pretty meaningless in debate.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #279
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,325

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Most of these people listed were simply in the right place at the right time. they were all good leaders, but what about those who actually made positive change by their leadership?

    I'm going to move outside the box and say John Adams. Our country was still in it's infantry, and he was very instrumental in many ways.

    It's hard to separate a historical role as being the cause of the president, or luck. I do dismiss so many of them as simply being president at the right time.

  10. #280
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I'm going to move outside the box and say John Adams. Our country was still in it's infantry,
    So, I guess Lincoln was president while your country was in civil war cavalry?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •