View Poll Results: Who has been our greatest President?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • George Washington

    23 21.50%
  • Thomas Jefferson

    5 4.67%
  • Abraham Lincoln

    19 17.76%
  • Teddy Roosevelt

    4 3.74%
  • Woodrow Wilson

    0 0%
  • Franklin Roosevelt

    19 17.76%
  • John Kennedy

    1 0.93%
  • Ronald Reagan

    21 19.63%
  • Bill Clinton

    3 2.80%
  • Other (please elaborate)

    12 11.21%
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 322

Thread: Who has been our greatest President?[W:196]

  1. #11
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    It's really hard to pick one president on his accomplishments unless you are familiar with the majority of their
    Congress that they had to work with during their term. The president I picked isn't on the list provided.
    Especially the last 3+ years.
    I chose Andrew Jackson because he hated debt and made it a deliberate policy to pay off the national debt entirely -- and succeeded in doing so.
    He was a Jeffersonian through and through and the smaller the government the better.
    Ironically he was the father of the modern Democrat party. My how things have changed.
    And certainly for the better since the civil war ones like McDaniel went to your GOP.

    We no longer have "trails of tears" across our own country either.
    There was a time when Indian casinos wouldn't take $20 bills .
    Physics is Phun

  2. #12
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    FDR was a "great president" in the sense he accomplished is goals. he also had the most deleterious impact on America since he pissed all over the concept of a limited government. He made the government a malignancy
    But who has been our greatest President--the thread?

    Not bash FDR every time you see his letters .
    Physics is Phun

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Personally, probably FDR, but then again, I support Federalism over state's rights, and am not a supporter of the limited government that others are. In a country as large and varied as ours, government needs to be large and varied, too.

    However, I would like to put in a plug for one of our more under rated Presidents: Chester A. Arthur. Gotta respect the man. He helped foster civil service reform... even though it alienated him from his party, and it's past manipulation was something that he himself had used to gain power in the past. Doing this showed quite a bit of integrity and bravery, politically, something that we would see very little of in today's world.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #14
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Personally, probably FDR, but then again, I support Federalism over state's rights, and am not a supporter of the limited government that others are. In a country as large and varied as ours, government needs to be large and varied, too.

    However, I would like to put in a plug for one of our more under rated Presidents: Chester A. Arthur. Gotta respect the man. He helped foster civil service reform... even though it alienated him from his party, and it's past manipulation was something that he himself had used to gain power in the past. Doing this showed quite a bit of integrity and bravery, politically, something that we would see very little of in today's world.
    Rarely do we hear about the Tree army, C.C.C., W.P.A. during FDR 's days.
    Since I travel the roads they built, I'm appreciative of what they did, only a few thousand in Texas still living.

    I hate to admit it, but when I went to Mount Rushmore with my wife for the first time, I had to ask who that 4th guy was.
    Comes with being fixated on Chem/Physics.

    And thus began my thirst for the Progress--ive era.
    One followed by another assassination, just like Arthur.
    Physics is Phun

  5. #15
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Personally, probably FDR, but then again, I support Federalism over state's rights, and am not a supporter of the limited government that others are. In a country as large and varied as ours, government needs to be large and varied, too.

    However, I would like to put in a plug for one of our more under rated Presidents: Chester A. Arthur. Gotta respect the man. He helped foster civil service reform... even though it alienated him from his party, and it's past manipulation was something that he himself had used to gain power in the past. Doing this showed quite a bit of integrity and bravery, politically, something that we would see very little of in today's world.
    A lesser known aspect of our Presidential history. Nice call.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    I was torn between Washington and Reagan. So I went with in my lifetime and Reagan.

  7. #17
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,903

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Abraham Lincoln. Ending slavery and preventing a rogue state that would've continued the barbaric practice from seceding is likely the greatest problem this nation has ever faced. Washington is also admirable in a lot of areas, but I'm not going to give the title to someone who supported slavery. The same issue arises with FDR and Japanese internment. Reagan, Clinton, and Wilson shouldn't even qualify for the top nine, let alone number one.



    Are you willing to overlook the Trail of Tears for the sake of balancing the budget?
    Just as you pointed out, there are things that all the presidents on that list did that were controversial. I chose Jackson because he showed we could live debt free. He has been the only one to ever do so. And we are paying the price today for not having more like Jackson in regard to spending. You cite those you could not support because of some form of slavery or internment. But national debt the size we now carry enslaves every taxpaying citizen. We are now at the point we struggle to come up with the money just to make interest payments let alone pay it down. And it will be a trail of tears for generations not yet born if something isn't done quickly.


  8. #18
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,249

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    I picked Reagan, but there are others I would consider:

    Eisenhower
    McKinley
    Jefferson (I know he's on the list)

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Just as you pointed out, there are things that all the presidents on that list did that were controversial. I chose Jackson because he showed we could live debt free. He has been the only one to ever do so. And we are paying the price today for not having more like Jackson in regard to spending. You cite those you could not support because of some form of slavery or internment. But national debt the size we now carry enslaves every taxpaying citizen. We are now at the point we struggle to come up with the money just to make interest payments let alone pay it down. And it will be a trail of tears for generations not yet born if something isn't done quickly.
    A balanced budget could certainly be done in today's world, sure, but it was a drastically different time in Jackson's day. While revenue was limited compared to today, demands were as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Who has been our greatest President?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    But who has been our greatest President--the thread?

    Not bash FDR every time you see his letters .
    Keep in mind the "New Deal" that was Roosevelt's hall mark domestic policy.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •