View Poll Results: Should Congress Pass A Bill That Requires Employers to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 29.59%
  • No

    64 65.31%
  • Other

    5 5.10%
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 252

Thread: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

  1. #211
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Not a strawman at all. Just discussing travesties.

    You see travesties...I see choices. It's that simple.
    Of course they are choices... but how a society treats it's mothers and children is a reflection of that societies values... that is the travesty, in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #212
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The interactions of people's are not abstract... they are 100% tangible.

    And men sacrificing for ages is an Appeal to Tradition fallacy...
    Interactions between people are just actions and must be strictly voluntary. No government is capable of regulating such choices.

    No men sacrificing for ages is not an appeal for tradition it is recognition of reality. If one wants something there are consequences. The appeal for mandated maternity leave is simply demanding the success without the sacrifice and work.

  3. #213
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Of course they are choices... but how a society treats it's mothers and children is a reflection of that societies values... that is the travesty, in this case.
    Society is only an abstract concept again it cannot treat anyone bad or good

  4. #214
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Of course they are choices... but how a society treats it's mothers and children is a reflection of that societies values... that is the travesty, in this case.
    I think our society should treat mothers, fathers, individuals and organizations...like businesses...the same, by allowing...no, by requiring...them to make their choices free from arbitrary government mandates.

    That is the greatest value of our society...the ability, the right and the accompanying responsibility of all segments to make their own choices.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  5. #215
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    Interactions between people are just actions and must be strictly voluntary. No government is capable of regulating such choices.

    No men sacrificing for ages is not an appeal for tradition it is recognition of reality. If one wants something there are consequences. The appeal for mandated maternity leave is simply demanding the success without the sacrifice and work.
    It is an Appeal in that you are using it as a counter argument....

    ...and interactions between people being tangible IS society... government has nothing to do with it.

    Society is only an abstract concept again it cannot treat anyone bad or good
    In this instance society is abstract... not as a real entity though and in this instance that is why government intervention is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #216
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It is an Appeal in that you are using it as a counter argument....

    ...and interactions between people being tangible IS society... government has nothing to do with it.



    In this instance society is abstract... not as a real entity though and in this instance that is why government intervention is needed.
    Interactions between people are not society and society has never been defined that way.

    People choose when and how to interact yes government has everything to do with it when you and others call for government force to be applied to specific interactions.

    Society is always an abstract concept and nothing more which is why there is no good for society or bad for society and government intervention for the sake of society is nothing more than thinly veiled tyranny.

  7. #217
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    Interactions between people are not society and society has never been defined that way.

    People choose when and how to interact yes government has everything to do with it when you and others call for government force to be applied to specific interactions.

    Society is always an abstract concept and nothing more which is why there is no good for society or bad for society and government intervention for the sake of society is nothing more than thinly veiled tyranny.
    You touch upon a very important question: Does government have a responsibility to shape society? To control the evolution of society? Or is government the servant...the tool...of society? I'm no scholar, but I would contend that the Founding Fathers intended government to be the servant of the American society.

    Unfortunately, there is a group...liberals/progressives/Democrats...who think it should be the other way around. As a result, they use this "society" argument to aid them in enabling the government to be the master instead of the servant.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Sure. Female employment is too high anyway.

    Seriously, "required" is an ugly word.

  9. #219
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Yes you (plural) did.
    You (plural)? What? Is that cryptic for something.

    I'm a mother of 3. I can assure you, he didn't disrespect me. I see you're a man based on that little blue arrow. Since when does a man speak for mothers?

  10. #220
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Yes. It is an absolute travesty that women have to give up on careers in order to have a family... I would think that those that favour private enterprise would actually want this as it promotes the best people for the job.

    women dont have to do anything

    they CHOOSE to do something

    hard to be a mom when the job requires 80 hour weeks.....

    hard to be a mom when you have to travel 40-50% of the time

    everyone understands that women have to make these choices.....

    you dont like them.....i understand

    that wont change the fact that in order to get to the highest rungs in a lot of companies, you have to do the 80 hour weeks, and the travel

    it sucks for everyone......not just women, everyone

    making choices in life decide which paths we follow.....

    i have met a few women who can do it all (career, kids, marriage) but they are fairly rare

    usually one of the three gets less attention than required......

    again...choices......

    woman's choice to have a child.....and her and her partner's choice on who will care for said child

    but the EMPLOYER has zero to do with their decision......
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •