View Poll Results: Should Congress Pass A Bill That Requires Employers to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 29.59%
  • No

    64 65.31%
  • Other

    5 5.10%
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 252

Thread: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

  1. #171
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Why are you singling out Russia here? What about Belgium, Canada, the UK, China, Japan, South Korea, Guatemala, Brazil, Costa Rica, Venezuela, France, Singapore, Somalia, Egypt, Poland, Ireland, Italy, Romania, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Mongolia, India, Pakistan, Israel, North Korea, Cyprus, and the many, many, many other countries that have found a way to make maternity leave happen? And what a great research project this would be! Any interest in tackling it?
    I singled out Russia because they pay for over a year. No I have no interest in doing homework, thanks though. You posted the misleading graphic, so maybe you should do the homework.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,784

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I singled out Russia because they pay for over a year. No I have no interest in doing homework, thanks though. You posted the misleading graphic, so maybe you should do the homework.
    Oh so the graphic is lying? Then surely it should be easy to prove that! Now let's see that proof.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #173
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Oh so the graphic is lying? Then surely it should be easy to prove that! Now let's see that proof.
    Do you know the difference between misleading and lying?

    Nowhere on your graphic does it say who pays for the leave.

    At least in Mexico and Canada the government pays for the leave.

    How can you compare countries that pay for the leave themselves to what Obama wants which is for the employer to foot the bill.

  4. #174
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,614

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Maybee you American can see it is apatriotic idea. Because companies that have a long term intersting inthe American market benefit from maternity leave. Because they need children to bee born both as future customers as well as employees. Theyalso need to be able to hire competent people and so it's also good for them to have a larger pool to hiring from if woman also can bep art of the work force. While maternity leave is bad for companies that only believes in shorttime profit or just move to other markets if their are more profitable for productions and/or sells.


    But of course the best if it payed by the goverment. Because having children being born and woman in theworkforce is good for the entire society. Also the cost will not behigher for branshces or companies that hires more woman. But that depends on a mayority of people wanting to pay for the huge benefite to society having children born and not wasting the talent and competence of 50 % of the workforce.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,880

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergslagstroll View Post
    Maybee you American can see it is apatriotic idea. Because companies that have a long term intersting inthe American market benefit from maternity leave. Because they need children to bee born both as future customers as well as employees. Theyalso need to be able to hire competent people and so it's also good for them to have a larger pool to hiring from if woman also can bep art of the work force. While maternity leave is bad for companies that only believes in shorttime profit or just move to other markets if their are more profitable for productions and/or sells.


    But of course the best if it payed by the goverment. Because having children being born and woman in theworkforce is good for the entire society. Also the cost will not behigher for branshces or companies that hires more woman. But that depends on a mayority of people wanting to pay for the huge benefite to society having children born and not wasting the talent and competence of 50 % of the workforce.
    Okay. You think the idea of parental leave is okay...if the government pays for it. But, as you say, it depends on if the taxpayer wants to pay for it or not.

    It sounds, though, as if you are not American. Do you live in a country that provides such parental leave? If so, I have a question:

    Let's say a woman goes on parental leave. The government pays her. She's good to go. But what about the company she was working for? Does the government pay THEM for their lost income? Does the government pay THEM the cost of hiring a replacement worker? And does that woman get to come back when the leave is over and step back into her old job? Even if the replacement worker is doing better work for the company?

    Or...do y'all just think, "Screw the company. They got money. Let them suck it up."?
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Outside of following health and safety regulations, all companies should not be required to provide anything, IMO.

    No paid leave, no severance pay, no maternity leave, no 'nuttin''.

    And they should be able to hire and fire anyone they want to for any reason they want to.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,784

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Do you know the difference between misleading and lying?

    Nowhere on your graphic does it say who pays for the leave.

    At least in Mexico and Canada the government pays for the leave.

    How can you compare countries that pay for the leave themselves to what Obama wants which is for the employer to foot the bill.
    I will not play these games with you, Mason. You are more than welcome to Google these answers for yourself, yet for some reason you have chosen not to. Furthermore, by not even acknowledging the emotional and physical struggles that mothers of newborns have to endure, you disrespect mothers all over the world. (You are aware of said struggles, right?)
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  8. #178
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I will not play these games with you, Mason. You are more than welcome to Google these answers for yourself, yet for some reason you have chosen not to. Furthermore, by not even acknowledging the emotional and physical struggles that mothers of newborns have to endure, you disrespect mothers all over the world. (You are aware of said struggles, right?)
    No, he didn't disrespect mothers all over the world.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,784

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    No, he didn't disrespect mothers all over the world.
    Yes you (plural) did.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  10. #180
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    All mandated social programs like paid maternity leave, etc., come at a very dear price of loss of control, loss of liberty, loss of self determination, and assurance of a more flat, less prosperous society. Such will be in varying degrees depending on how restrictive a nation's government might be. But before giving Russia high praise, consider the results of a government run social order that controls almost every aspect of Russian life:

    Russia’s economic freedom score is 51.9, making its economy the 140th freest in the 2014 Index. Its score is 0.8 point higher this year, with improvements in four of the 10 economic freedoms, including control of government spending, counterbalanced by declines in trade freedom, freedom from corruption, and fiscal freedom. Russia is ranked 41st out of 43 countries in the Europe region, and its overall score is below the world average.

    Over the 20-year history of the Index, Russia’s economic freedom has been stagnant, with its score improving less than 1 point. Overall, notable improvements in trade freedom and monetary freedom have been largely offset by substantial declines in investment freedom, financial freedom, business freedom, and property rights, and Russia’s economy remains “mostly unfree.”
    Russia Economy: Population, GDP, Inflation, Business, Trade, FDI, Corruption


    Things are rarely as simple as they seem.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •