View Poll Results: Should Congress Pass A Bill That Requires Employers to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 29.59%
  • No

    64 65.31%
  • Other

    5 5.10%
Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 252

Thread: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

  1. #151
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    You believe that people who can't afford to raise children should be encouraged to have them anyway and we should just subsidize them with more welfare? I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. There isn't a nicer way to put it.

    We give away 'free' birth control and low cost abortions. People need to be responsible and use them if they can't afford to have children.
    Encouraging a low birth rate is no better. Paid parental leave=/=welfare, and I fail to see how either this or a national daycare program will have negative effects poverty wise. I do believe that abortion and birth control should be free, but birth control isn't foolproof, those who identify with the pro-life movement aren't going to want to have an abortion, and there are people in lower income levels who, believe it or not, would actually like to raise a family.

    Quote Originally Posted by braindrain View Post
    It makes the worker deserving of the pay his skill and negotiating power can earn him. It does not mean his pay should be tied to the pay of the person taking all the risk or providing the skill and brainpower that makes the company profitable. And no company is controlling the lives of anyone. They are free to quit and start their own business any time they want.
    They are controlling the lives of the employee because the employee is, most of the time, entirely or mostly dependent on the wages provided by the company, and will not be able to successfully transition to owning a small business. Hell, finding another job can be near impossible in this climate, and with all the unemployment benefit cuts going on right now, it's not getting any easier. You're also implying that the skill and brainpower of a CEO is inherently superior to that of their workers. Geniuses are born into poverty and never make it out, while some idiot can inherent millions of dollars and a whole lot of bargaining power. Money does not measure intellect.

    They can create their own personal economic stability and guess what nothing can or should be a guarantee. That is why in the constitution it says pursuit of happiness and not just happiness
    That's in the Declaration of Independence, which has no relevance to public policy making. Also, I'm not talking about guaranteeing happiness. I'm talking about eliminating poverty and providing a near-guarantee towards economic stability, which not everyone has the ability to do. You think that the millions of people in poverty could all get out if they just tried harder? That's an extremely naive viewpoint.

    than it should be up to the company if they want to provide maternity leave. It is not the governments job to tell a company how to increase productivity.
    And it most definitely letting people do what ever they want (having a baby) and making someone else ( the company) pay for it while that employ is at home providing nothing to the company.
    There is a competitive disadvantage for companies who choose to provide paid leave though, because they will be making more expenses towards their employees, which on the surface puts them at a disadvantage, despite the productivity tidbit. And the mandate itself is designed to benefit the worker, not the company.

    It is about rewarding the lazy (those who want to get paid while doing no work) and punishing the rich by making them pay an employee who is not doing his job. What else can you call it. And paid maternity leave is not a need necessary for life. People have got along just fine for hundreds of years without it. You just want more for doing less. Call it whatever you want but that is the truth of it.
    You think that parents want paid parental leave so that they can lounge around all day? Raising a baby is work, and that simply cannot be twisted to mean anything different. And just because we've haven't been offering paid parental leave in the past isn't a legitimate reason not to. We have a low birth rate and higher poverty rates because this policy has not been in place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Ok, thanks for sharing, but these proposals because of their complexity would be better for another thread so as not to derail.



    It's not that one of those rights outweighs the other. It's that one exists and the other (the latter) does not. Children have a right to be provided for, but parents do not have the right to be given the means to provide for their own children.
    How do you believe that corporations bringing in profits is going to benefit society? I don't have a problem in theory with the idea of corporations bringing in profit, but why is this a right, while parental leave is not? If children have a right to be provided for, but parents do not have a right to have the means to provide for their child, how exactly is the child going to be provided for? I don't see what you're getting at.

    Your question (about repealing laws providing for unpaid maternity leave) is difficult, and particularly because it has already been in place. I don't know that I would advocate its repeal per se because there are much bigger fish to fry concerning employee benefits (mostly related to health insurance). Philosophically I would only agree to mandate that employers disclose upon hire the specific conditions of personnel policies relating to things like this. If the company decides you are guaranteed nothing after taking a couple weeks off to give birth, then that's their right but it should be clearly communicated so that a fertile 25-year old can think carefully about taking that job as well as think carefully about whether to get pregnant if she or he wants to keep that job long-term. Only mandate people receive full information so that they can make informed decisions about such important things as family and career.
    Your suggestion sounds better than the status quo, but as I have mentioned in previous posts, the lack of a mandate is going to put those who choose to offer paid parental leave at a competitive disadvantage, and therefore discourage those in lower incomes from raising a family altogether.

    I believe (and this is consistent with my personal experience) that some companies are financially prudent to voluntarily offer family-friendly policies because they want stable employees. Unstable and flighty employees and high turnover have big costs for some employers. It takes time and money and lost productivity to be continuously teaching new people how to do their jobs, and when you get a young family in a job, they are not going to quit on a whim and they are going to do whatever necessary to do a good job because they want to set down roots and provide for their families. That has value to employers and so it should be up to them to recognize that and offer compensation accordingly. It should not be up to a federal government to blanket the nation in that sort of policy, mandating it everywhere all of the time when it only makes sense some places some of the time.
    Well it is not always going to make sense economically for the business to offer paid parental leave, because each situation is different, (I do think it absolutely makes sense for them to choose to do from a moral and ethical perspective however) but the goal of a mandate is not to help the business, and any parts of the mandate that do aid the business are positive side effects. The goal of the mandate is to aid the worker, and with the exception of those in upper incomes who aren't going to struggle financially from not having paid leave, and even then it won't hurt them, workers who are also new parents will benefit from the mandate.

  2. #152
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,230

    Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    How do you believe that corporations bringing in profits is going to benefit society?
    Is this a serious question?

    I don't have a problem in theory with the idea of corporations bringing in profit, but why is this a right,
    Because adults have a right to produce things and trade with one another. Profit is an inevitable potential result of this.

    while parental leave is not?
    Because having that job in the first place is not a right.

    If children have a right to be provided for, but parents do not have a right to have the means to provide for their child, how exactly is the child going to be provided for?
    Children have rights to be provided for by their legal guardian(s). The legal guardian has a responsibility to come up with the means. Current and prospective employers have no responsibility either way regarding the children, unless that was decided between the parties to be part of the employment contract.

    Your suggestion sounds better than the status quo, but as I have mentioned in previous posts, the lack of a mandate is going to put those who choose to offer paid parental leave at a competitive disadvantage,
    No it won't. Employers would only choose to offer it if it gave them an advantage, such as better commitment and longevity from the employee.

    and therefore discourage those in lower incomes from raising a family altogether.
    Anyone who has not secured the means to provide for a family SHOULD be discouraged from starting one.

    Well it is not always going to make sense economically for the business to offer paid parental leave, because each situation is different,
    Therefore you think companies should be forced by government to do what does not make sense.

    The goal of the mandate is to aid the worker, and with the exception of those in upper incomes who aren't going to struggle financially from not having paid leave, and even then it won't hurt them, workers who are also new parents will benefit from the mandate.
    Not if, as I said, it puts them at a disadvantage to getting fully benefitted jobs in the first place. Young workers are often desired because they demand less pay which is commensurate with their lesser experience. Forcing them to be paid more artificially tilts the scale in favor of older folks who are done having kids.

    I can't imagine how political liberals are successful business people. It seems they believe wholeheartedly and unquestioningly that simply raising the price of something results in a corresponding increase in revenue. They just do not think about the negative demand side effects that come with arbitrarily raising something's price.

  3. #153
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,969

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Encouraging a low birth rate is no better. Paid parental leave=/=welfare, and I fail to see how either this or a national daycare program will have negative effects poverty wise. I do believe that abortion and birth control should be free, but birth control isn't foolproof, those who identify with the pro-life movement aren't going to want to have an abortion, and there are people in lower income levels who, believe it or not, would actually like to raise a family.

    First nothing is free. Just say what you mean and admit you want others to pay for it. And if low income couples want to raise a family than they should get a better job or make sacrices in other areas not just force others to pay for their wants. I want a Ferrari should I be able to get that for free just because I want it.
    They are controlling the lives of the employee because the employee is, most of the time, entirely or mostly dependent on the wages provided by the company, and will not be able to successfully transition to owning a small business. Hell, finding another job can be near impossible in this climate, and with all the unemployment benefit cuts going on right now, it's not getting any easier. You're also implying that the skill and brainpower of a CEO is inherently superior to that of their workers. Geniuses are born into poverty and never make it out, while some idiot can inherent millions of dollars and a whole lot of bargaining power. Money does not measure intellect.
    That is not controlling anyone. They are free to find another job our start their own any time they want. That is basically the definition of not being controlled. No one said it was going to be easy. You are right that there are geniuses who stay in poverty and it is usually a result of bad choices or lack of motivation. The majority of millionaires didn't inherent their money and there are thousands of new millionaires created every year so while brain power may not be an indicator of wealth brainpower combined with motivation are a pretty good one.


    That's in the Declaration of Independence, which has no relevance to public policy making. Also, I'm not talking about guaranteeing happiness. I'm talking about eliminating poverty and providing a near-guarantee towards economic stability, which not everyone has the ability to do. You think that the millions of people in poverty could all get out if they just tried harder? That's an extremely naive viewpoint.
    But it does give the ideas our country was founded on. And your plan to guarantee that is by taking more from the people who earned it to give to others. That is not how this country was designed.


    There is a competitive disadvantage for companies who choose to provide paid leave though, because they will be making more expenses towards their employees, which on the surface puts them at a disadvantage, despite the productivity tidbit. And the mandate itself is designed to benefit the worker, not the company.

    It is not supposed to be the governments job to decide which companies are successful and which ones are not. If a company wants to offer it and incurr the increased expense while being able to attract better employees that is there right. It is not the place of government to tell companies how to run thier business. Besides what do you think these companies will do just accept less profits. Of course not they will just increase prices as if American made products are not to expensive as it is. Plus I am sure those low income families will love paying more for everything.

    You think that parents want paid parental leave so that they can lounge around all day? Raising a baby is work, and that simply cannot be twisted to mean anything different. And just because we've haven't been offering paid parental leave in the past isn't a legitimate reason not to. We have a low birth rate and higher poverty rates because this policy has not been in place.
    I know how much work that it is to raise kids. I have a 6 YO and a 2 month old. And it doesn't matter what they are doing because what they are not doing is providing any use to the company that you want to force to pay them. Plus you said it was a nessicity of life. If that is true how do couples make it today without it not to mention what did they do in the past. Why again do you think making others pay for the things others want is morally right.
    I noticed you never answered the part about what should happen if we go with the 16 month maternity leave and she gets pregnant again right away. Just how many years should this company have to pay for someone to live while getting nothing in return. I will just never understand the liberal desire to force others to pay for the choices of others. Why is expecting people to be responsible for themselves such a bad idea.
    Last edited by braindrain; 06-27-14 at 09:58 PM.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    And yet you say that you are not a fascist. If government does not control businesses through regulations how would this social engineering work?

  5. #155
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,787

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Do you agree with the President's recent statements that the US should join the rest of the industrialized world and have provided paid maternity leave? The President said that Congress should work on legislation requiring employers to have paid maternity leave? Do you believe this should be law or not?
    Why is this particular situation special?

    What else should the employeer pay for where employees are concerned?

  6. #156
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,787

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    'MURICA! Also, Papau New Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Swaziland!

    In Russia, where does the money come from to pay a woman for more tan a year for maternity leave?

  7. #157
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,787

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    Some countries shoot people crossing their borders....would you like us to change that policy also?

    Other countries, you take a test in 8th grade, and then they TELL you where you go next....college, or technical/trade school....shall we adopt this policy also?

    There are a lot of countries that do things differently than us.....i wouldnt say theirs is the best way........would you?
    The chart doesn't tell us who pays for the matermity leave.

    Is it 100% paid by the company, or does the government have to pay some of that?

  8. #158
    I am the pretty one.
    TobyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,389

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    I never get the argument that we should do something because "the rest of the world" is doing it. Who gives a F what the rest of the world is doing? And how has liberal policies worked for the foreign countries of Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and California?

    The liberals dysfunctional need to be just like Europe either causes their anti-americanism or is the source of it. Not sure which.

  9. #159
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,787

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    The chart doesn't tell us who pays for the matermity leave.

    Is it 100% paid by the company, or does the government have to pay some of that?
    I just asked a buddy here in Mexico that owns a company who pays for the maternity leave.

    The government health insurance pays 100% of the money. The employer pays 0.

    Is Obama willing to include maternity leave in a government health care program where the US Government pays 100% for it?

  10. #160
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,787

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Another reason not to hire straight women. Lesbians rarely get pregnant.
    If you only hire lesbians, men, and women that are not of child bearing age the problem is solved.

    .
    What world do you live in where lesbians do not get pregnant?

    This also brings up the gay aspect.

    If two gay males are adopting a baby, should one be entitled to paid leave to bond with that baby?

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •