View Poll Results: Should Congress Pass A Bill That Requires Employers to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 29.59%
  • No

    64 65.31%
  • Other

    5 5.10%
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 252

Thread: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

  1. #121
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    You are harping on an issue that is irrelevant to this topic, imo, and I won't play your game.

    Get over it.
    It is relevant to the topic. You clearly stated that you believe paid parental leave causes a government to become a dictatorship; I am challenging you on that claim. Either defend it or avoid the question. It makes no difference to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I think you should get paid for your work, not for contributing to over population.
    Actually, low birth rates have been proven to help cause a lower standard of living.

    Why a Falling Birth Rate Is a Big Problem - US News

  2. #122
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    It is relevant to the topic. You clearly stated that you believe paid parental leave causes a government to become a dictatorship; I am challenging you on that claim. Either defend it or avoid the question. It makes no difference to me.
    Now see...this is why I find talking to you...and those like you...to be pretty much a waste of time.

    I never stated...clearly or otherwise...that I "believe paid parental leave causes a government to become a dictatorship". In fact, my contention is that the Democrats...with their success in dictating in respect to Obamacare...has now turned to another issue they think they can have success with. In other words, parental leave is causing the dictating...the desire to dictate is causing this parental leave proposal.

    Now...I'm getting quite bored with your antics...with your spin, illogic, strawmen and just plain misunderstandings. Until you come up with something new...something reasoned...something logical...I won't be responding to you.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    That's like comparing building a sand castle to launching a rocket into space..

    The illogical nature of that simplistic statement in regards to the intrinsic depth of maternity leave and how critical it is to a society is truly shameful and ignorant.
    You should probably look up what some of those words mean before trying to use them.

    Unless having a child is a product or service you are providing to your employer, your employer shouldn't have to pay for it. Neither should your boss pay you for adopting a dog from the pound.

    If you want to be paid for not choosing abortion then you should get an insurance policy for it, or invest.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You should probably look up what some of those words mean before trying to use them.

    Unless having a child is a product or service you are providing to your employer, your employer shouldn't have to pay for it. Neither should your boss pay you for adopting a dog from the pound.

    If you want to be paid for not choosing abortion then you should get an insurance policy for it, or invest.

    Yeah that's why almost every single European civilized country pays it..
    Last edited by Ryan5; 06-26-14 at 04:39 AM.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Yeah that's why almost every single European civilized country pays it..
    The country? Or the employer? There's a diference.

  6. #126
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    That's like comparing building a sand castle to launching a rocket into space..

    The illogical nature of that simplistic statement in regards to the intrinsic depth of maternity leave and how critical it is to a society is truly shameful and ignorant.
    there is no "intrinsic depth" to maternity leave...

    it's time off of work so a woman can have a baby, that's it.... nothing less, nothing more.

  7. #127
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,597
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    I believe that maternity AND paternity leave should be offered by all employers. Paid? No, not so much. Realistically, companies must bring in temporary help to cover the work of women and/or men who have taken maternity/paternity leave. Most employers would be bankrupted by having to pay maternity/paternity leave AND the temporary help required to keep the company running.

    We live in a country where birth control is easily accessible, where pregnancy termination is legal for unwanted pregnancies, and I approve of that wholeheartedly. However, if a couple decides to have a child they should be able to have at least one of them take time off to care for the newborn without losing their job, but it is not the employer's responsibility to pay for that choice. Employers have a finite amount of money to pay for the position available; they do not have the obligation of paying for two individuals to handle the job in question... one on maternity/paternity leave, and the other a temporary employee that actually does the work.

    As wonderful as it would be for new parents to have mandated, paid leave every time they have a new addition to the family, it is neither fiscally responsible nor personally responsible to expect one or both employers to pay for that decision.

  8. #128
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,075

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Only the big companies. Not small businesses.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  9. #129
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    I don't believe companies themselves should be required to offer paid maternity leave. That would hit them pretty hard financially, and in many cases, would encourage companies not to hire women of childbearing age, because of the money that they might cost them.

    I wouldn't mind seeing the current 12 week unpaid FMLA leave turn into paid leave (paid for by the government). Even something like 2/3 the person's normal salary would be okay. And maybe phase it in slowly over a few years.

    And I'd be fine limiting it to a certain number of children as well.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,851

    Re: Should All Companies be Required to Provide Paid Maternity Leave?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I don't believe companies themselves should be required to offer paid maternity leave. That would hit them pretty hard financially, and in many cases, would encourage companies not to hire women of childbearing age, because of the money that they might cost them.

    I wouldn't mind seeing the current 12 week unpaid FMLA leave turn into paid leave (paid for by the government). Even something like 2/3 the person's normal salary would be okay. And maybe phase it in slowly over a few years.

    And I'd be fine limiting it to a certain number of children as well.
    I don't think we need any new entitlements...unless we raise taxes to cover the cost.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •