View Poll Results: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 26.56%
  • No

    47 73.44%
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 260

Thread: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face? [W:166]

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Come on people, you would all avoid calling a Native American a redskin in a non-joking manner. That is the question in this poll, and making it about 'joking' is just a dodge of the question.

    Conversation with a person to whom you had been just introduced:

    You: Interesting last name
    New Person: Oh, thank you, I am Native American.
    You: Oh, a redskin.

    NOT going to happen.
    In a situation as you describe here no, I wouldn't. But then I also wouldn't call some black guy that introduced themselves as "oh, a black" either. Same goes for whites, chinese, arab, or any other thing. I'd use my manners that my mother taught me and say "Nice to meet you Mr./Mrs. <insert last name here>". Or just simply say "hello".

    All that you're doing is trying to take one specific context and apply it to ALL contexts in order to proclaim that it's a slur. Hate to tell ya this but thats just not how it works. Context ALWAYS matters. Why do you think that black people can call other black people "niggers" and no one bats an eye...yet if some other race did it (particularly whites) the chains of war are unleashed? Context is what makes something offensive or not. Not the words themselves. If I was to go up to my wife and in all seriousness called her the B word she'd have a right to be offeneded and would no doubt slap the crap outta me. However if I went up to my wife and said the same thing in a joking manner all that she would do is call me some similar name. Possibly even the same. Words are only offensive if they are meant to be offensive. If they're not meant to be offensive then they are not. It really is that simple.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #72
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,858

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    In a situation as you describe here no, I wouldn't. But then I also wouldn't call some black guy that introduced themselves as "oh, a black" either. Same goes for whites, chinese, arab, or any other thing. I'd use my manners that my mother taught me and say "Nice to meet you Mr./Mrs. <insert last name here>". Or just simply say "hello".

    All that you're doing is trying to take one specific context and apply it to ALL contexts in order to proclaim that it's a slur. Hate to tell ya this but thats just not how it works. Context ALWAYS matters. Why do you think that black people can call other black people "niggers" and no one bats an eye...yet if some other race did it (particularly whites) the chains of war are unleashed? Context is what makes something offensive or not. Not the words themselves. If I was to go up to my wife and in all seriousness called her the B word she'd have a right to be offeneded and would no doubt slap the crap outta me. However if I went up to my wife and said the same thing in a joking manner all that she would do is call me some similar name. Possibly even the same. Words are only offensive if they are meant to be offensive. If they're not meant to be offensive then they are not. It really is that simple.
    That makes a lot of sense. But why are offensive words as b..,n..., even in our vocabulary, jokingly or otherwise? I don't find it very funny even if a black guy calls another n....

  3. #73
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,241

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, actually I have done so, but I have a good many NA friends, and they know it isn't an insult coming from me, but that I am kidding with them.
    The old " its not racist because I have friends who are natives" ( one of them is also half black and in a wheelchair). Classic white person argument.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. But why are offensive words as b..,n..., even in our vocabulary, jokingly or otherwise? I don't find it very funny even if a black guy calls another n....
    Because humans have the capacity to hate and the ability to express that hate. But at the same time we have the capacity to not hate, and the ability to express that also. This is why context matters more than the words by themselves. It is that context the determines if we are in hate mode, or not hate mode.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #75
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    *facepalm*

    The premise of this thread is clear... and also absurd. The OP believes they have cleverly conceived a question that nobody with an opposing point-of-view can answer, hence proving their own point-of-view. Unfortunately for them the question is so full of holes and off-target as to be meaningless, and as such is really nothing but a bait question. It was a train wreck before the original post was completed.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #76
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    *facepalm*

    The premise of this thread is clear... and also absurd. The OP believes they have cleverly conceived a question that nobody with an opposing point-of-view can answer, hence proving their own point-of-view. Unfortunately for them the question is so full of holes and off-target as to be meaningless, and as such is really nothing but a bait question. It was a train wreck before the original post was completed.
    True. Unfortunately, for some people, that's all they got. Faux outrage and a closed mind, with no willingness to consider that just maybe they are missing something.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #77
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    The old " its not racist because I have friends who are natives" ( one of them is also half black and in a wheelchair). Classic white person argument.
    When you personally go get involved in their actual culture, become a part of their family, and have them identify you as one of them, just as I did, then you can feel free to come back and lecture me. Until then, you are speaking from the standpoint of ignorance.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #78
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    No, I wouldn't call someone a Redskin to his face any more than I would call someone a Blackskin, Whiteskin, Yellow Skin, or Brownskin to his face. Why on Earth would anyone do that?

    I also wouldn't call someone Fatty, Shorty, Stinky, Blondie, Brunettey, Stupid, Lazy, Weakling, Smarty, Tall Boy, Pretty, Handsome, Bulky, Freckley or any other name. Maybe I was raised wrong. I was raised to call people by their names.

    What was the purpose of this thread?

  9. #79
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    In a situation as you describe here no, I wouldn't. But then I also wouldn't call some black guy that introduced themselves as "oh, a black" either. Same goes for whites, chinese, arab, or any other thing. I'd use my manners that my mother taught me and say "Nice to meet you Mr./Mrs. <insert last name here>". Or just simply say "hello".

    All that you're doing is trying to take one specific context and apply it to ALL contexts in order to proclaim that it's a slur. Hate to tell ya this but thats just not how it works. Context ALWAYS matters. Why do you think that black people can call other black people "niggers" and no one bats an eye...yet if some other race did it (particularly whites) the chains of war are unleashed? Context is what makes something offensive or not. Not the words themselves. If I was to go up to my wife and in all seriousness called her the B word she'd have a right to be offeneded and would no doubt slap the crap outta me. However if I went up to my wife and said the same thing in a joking manner all that she would do is call me some similar name. Possibly even the same. Words are only offensive if they are meant to be offensive. If they're not meant to be offensive then they are not. It really is that simple.
    No, actually, I am not trying to apply one context to all contexts. I specifically narrowed the context to non-joking contexts because people were avoiding the point by bringing up joking contexts. There are other contexts where it might be acceptable, but, in general, you can't call a Native American a redskin without it being offensive.

    My sample dialog was an oversimplified dialog to illustrate how race might come up in a non joking manner, but it isn't the only way, and is not essential to my point. To solely focus on it when responding to my post is simply a dishonest way to respond. A person who cannot respond to a person's point obviously knows on some level they are afraid to admit something.

    It is ridiculous to try to construe a person's post as something other than it is, and then respond to that. Gee, I think there is indeed a named fallacy for it or something.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  10. #80
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,396

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Context, context.
    Yup. If I am with my native friends and we are playing around, yeah I might throw it out there but I would never just say that to some randon person I don't even know.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •