View Poll Results: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 26.56%
  • No

    47 73.44%
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 260

Thread: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face? [W:166]

  1. #51
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    And now blacks can't move? There is a black American teacher at my school that moved from Arkansas to New Zealand... I somehow think you are wrong.
    Blacks cannot escape racial injustice. It is systemic. It permeates society and puts them at a disadvantage in housing, employment and the justice system. One cannot compare isolated events of individual actions with systemic injustice.

    Just because whites are sometimes attacked by blacks does not mean blacks wield majority power or have the ability to perpetuate systemic injustice.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 06-24-14 at 12:52 AM.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No. You haven't explained how my choosing to be a respectful person equals a dodge... and capitulation? Get over yourself with that idiotic logic.
    You have convinced yourself that my scenario dialogue is calling a person by 'something other than their name', and used that as a dodge to avoid the point of the OP, and my subsequent aforementioned scenario. If you won't address the point, then it is perfectly reasonable for any observer to conclude you are avoiding it for the purpose of avoiding the attendant admission that would go along with addressing it. This is something I never do, and if I REALLY thought the question was ridiculous, I might say that, and THEN go ahead and address the point. Because, I have intellectual integrity. So, I'll not be 'getting over myself' anytime soon. Sorry, not sorry.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,985

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Blacks cannot escape racial injustice. It is systemic. It permeates society and puts them at a disadvantage in housing, employment and the justice system. One cannot compare isolated events of individual actions with systemic injustice.

    Just because whites are sometimes attacked by blacks does not mean they wield majority power or have the ability to perpetuate systemic injustice.
    You have a well thought out argument. We have been through this before as well and I disagree with you, as before, regarding racism and reverse racism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,985

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    You have convinced yourself that my scenario dialogue is calling a person by 'something other than their name', and used that as a dodge to avoid the point of the OP, and my subsequent aforementioned scenario. If you won't address the point, then it is perfectly reasonable for any observer to conclude you are avoiding it for the purpose of avoiding the attendant admission that would go along with addressing it. This is something I never do, and if I REALLY thought the question was ridiculous, I might say that, and THEN go ahead and address the point. Because, I have intellectual integrity. So, I'll not be 'getting over myself' anytime soon. Sorry, not sorry.
    No. Your scenario is stupid.

    You: You have an interesting name, Soaring Eagle, is it?
    Him: Yes, I am a Native American
    You: Ahh... a Redskin.

    That is so idiotic that I can barely stand it. What am I supposed to be? Some 14 year-old jerk?

    How about:

    You: You have an interesting name, Soaring Eagle, is it?
    Him: Yes, I am a Native American
    You: Nice to meet you, what tribe are you from?

    No dodge... just an understanding regarding the stupidity of the scenario.

    It finally hit me that your scenario is a False Dilemma

    False Dilemma / Bifurcation Fallacy

    The bifurcation fallacy is committed when a false dilemma is presented, i.e. when someone is asked to choose between two options when there is at least one other option available. Of course, arguments that restrict the options to more than two but less than there really are are similarly fallacious.


    Logical Fallacies» False Dilemma / Bifurcation Fallacy

    Game over... you lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No. Your scenario is stupid.

    You: You have an interesting name, Soaring Eagle, is it?
    Him: Yes, I am a Native American
    You: Ahh... a Redskin.

    That is so idiotic that I can barely stand it. What am I supposed to be? Some 14 year-old jerk?

    How about:

    You: You have an interesting name, Soaring Eagle, is it?
    Him: Yes, I am a Native American
    You: Nice to meet you, what tribe are you from?

    No dodge... just an understanding regarding the stupidity of the scenario.

    It finally hit me that your scenario is a False Dilemma

    False Dilemma / Bifurcation Fallacy

    The bifurcation fallacy is committed when a false dilemma is presented, i.e. when someone is asked to choose between two options when there is at least one other option available. Of course, arguments that restrict the options to more than two but less than there really are are similarly fallacious.


    Logical Fallacies» False Dilemma / Bifurcation Fallacy

    Game over... you lose.
    Your avoidance runs deep. I presented no dilemma at all. A dilemma is not necessary to my point, and you deciding that there is a false bifurcation is just you deepening your avoidance.

    You could have said:

    "I think your scenario is stupid because I would never let the conversation take such a turn, but to address your point: if I did find myself in a situation where I wanted to mention the person's race, I wouldn't use 'redskin' to describe their race, because I realize it is a slur. "

    Or you could have said:

    "I think your scenario is stupid because I would never let the conversation take such a turn, but to address your point: if I did find myself in a situation where I wanted to mention the person's race, I would use 'redskin' to describe their race, because I think it is a valid way to describe Native American. "

    But, instead, you chose not to address the point, choosing instead to focus on the thing that is beside the point, which is how ridiculous you supposedly think the scenario is. Then you doubled down on that avoidance by coming up with a supposed bifurcation fallacy interpretation of my post.

    Avoidance = capitulation.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  6. #56
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Maybe it is regional. Here in the Northwest many of the tribes prefer Native. You often find Native Pride tattoos or bumper stickers among them.
    Native...maybe. But not Native American. Best bet...go tribal if you know it. And if you dont, respect enough to ask.

  7. #57
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    the R-word for native Americans is like the N-word for African Americans.
    And which N-word is that?

    You DO know that 90% of Indians interviewed about the Redskins team nickname care far less about the name than they do the rampant poverty, abuse, addiction, unemployment, and every other actual PROBLEM that plagues the Indian people in reservations across the country...right? Or that several Indian Schools have the team Mascot as 'Redskins'? Face it...the only people this poutrage plays with are soft white liberals who pretend to care about the nickname but really couldnt give half a **** about the real problems they face if you outright GAVE them two spare ****s you had in your garage.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And which N-word is that?

    You DO know that 90% of Indians interviewed about the Redskins team nickname care far less about the name than they do the rampant poverty, abuse, addiction, unemployment, and every other actual PROBLEM that plagues the Indian people in reservations across the country...right? Or that several Indian Schools have the team Mascot as 'Redskins'? Face it...the only people this poutrage plays with are soft white liberals who pretend to care about the nickname but really couldnt give half a **** about the real problems they face if you outright GAVE them two spare ****s you had in your garage.
    You know exactly the N-word I am talking about, why do you want me to say it. I already said I do not like using such derogatory slurs for people. They are African American or whatever they want to call themselves, the same goes for native Americans.

    You are right, most will say there are more pressing problems for the Native American people but that does not mean we can ignore this issue when it is being raised by the Native Americans and as it is an issue, some in that community clearly think it is a big issue for them.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  9. #59
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    You know exactly the N-word I am talking about, why do you want me to say it. I already said I do not like using such derogatory slurs for people. They are African American or whatever they want to call themselves, the same goes for native Americans.

    You are right, most will say there are more pressing problems for the Native American people but that does not mean we can ignore this issue when it is being raised by the Native Americans and as it is an issue, some in that community clearly think it is a big issue for them.
    You are petrified. Thats hysterical.


    Nah. You dont ignore this because its a 'cause' for you to cling to. Its cheap. "Looky...I CARE about you poor widdle Native American snoogums...yes I do!"

    Horse****. Your pretense of care is limited to the most ridiculous and irrelevant of the actual real world problems they face. It speaks volumes about all of you.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You are petrified. Thats hysterical.


    Nah. You dont ignore this because its a 'cause' for you to cling to. Its cheap. "Looky...I CARE about you poor widdle Native American snoogums...yes I do!"

    Horse****. Your pretense of care is limited to the most ridiculous and irrelevant of the actual real world problems they face. It speaks volumes about all of you.
    why should I be petrified? I do not even life in the USA so it is neither a big issue for me or a "cause".

    I just don't like using racial slurs, wow, evil me. How dare I not want to use words meant to demean and insult people.

    And it is not all about this name issue for that NFL team, the question was would you say it to someones face and I just said that I do not, not in their face and not behind their backs.

    If you have a problem with that then so be it.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •