View Poll Results: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 26.56%
  • No

    47 73.44%
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 260

Thread: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face? [W:166]

  1. #201
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I actually do find your answer satisfactory. The fact that you need a laundry list of stipulations for 'redskin' to be socially acceptable speaks volumes.
    Except that I don't. I just gave a list of many situations that the word could be considered acceptable. I'm quite sure that joking around with friends isn't a "laundry list of stipulations". The fact that I gave a list just shows that there are tons of situations in which it could be acceptable. Should I also provide a list in which its not acceptable? Would that satisfy you on that part or would that "speak volumes" also?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #202
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There are native americans who have expressed offense to the notion of the Redskins name being forced or pressured to change. By the logic that "Its not okay to even offend a minority of a minority", there is no right answer because you're going to offend a minority of the minority in some fashion either way.

    So what you COULD do is simply deem which minority is more important and suggest the other's opinion shouldn't be the basis for a decision. But then again, once you do that you basically create the basis for logic to suggest that the minority of the minority you actually support shouldn't be the basis for a decision as well.
    My logic doesn't depend on anything relating to football. If it is economically viable to use a Native American as a mascot in the 21st century, have at it.

  3. #203
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    The only way to achieve what you are talking about here is to totally ban and get rid of any and all terms regarding race. Including the word "race" itself.
    Nonsense. No one objects to intellectual discussion. Slurs are not the same thing.

    Slur =/= race

  4. #204
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,099

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Nonsense. No one objects to intellectual discussion. Slurs are not the same thing.

    Slur =/= race
    Who gets to decide that it is a slur? The minority few in the group?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #205
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Who gets to decide that it is a slur? The minority few in the group?
    History.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,099

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    social incompetence and phony correctness.
    The latter more than the former, in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #207
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,099

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    History.
    It was used by the Native Americans themselves... to describe themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #208
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Nonsense. No one objects to intellectual discussion. Slurs are not the same thing.

    Slur =/= race
    Actually in the context of your arguement, yes, slurs does equal race. Or are you not talking about racial slurs? What you are proposing can only be achieved by the elimination of the whole concept of race. To make it to where no one considers themselves black, or white, or brown or any other race. IE: We're all human. Which is not a bad thing. It would be wonderful if we would stop seeing "race" and start seeing "humans". Indivdual people can do that. But as a whole we cannot. We're too tribal currently to do so. Perhaps in a couple of hundred years we can get past it. Right now though its nothing more than a pipe dream.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #209
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It was used by the Native Americans themselves... to describe themselves.
    It was used by the majority power as a slur. Whether and how it was manipulated by the minority is irrelevant, as is offense and other personal interpretation.

  10. #210
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Actually in the context of your arguement, yes, slurs does equal race.
    I don't appreciated being portrayed as a strawman. Such childish nonsense is not worth engaging. Let me know when you have at least the slightest clue regarding my position.

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •