View Poll Results: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 26.56%
  • No

    47 73.44%
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 260

Thread: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face? [W:166]

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    I wouldnt call a native american a Redskin, because it has no meaning to me. Its just the name of a football team. I wouldn't necessarily call them native americans either because American is a European name, not a race. If you want to label people by physical characteristics, native americans are actually Asian, specifically Mongol Chinese, from what i understand. Perhaps the correct term is Mongol-American?

    However since the point of this thread to somehow convince us that Redskin is derogatory, I dont see any proof of that in its use as the name of a football team, thus its ok. Intent is what matters.

  2. #112
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Congratulations, you found another way to get right-wingers to look stupid. They're trying to remain firm and make excuses for why its okay, they think they can explain it away. Their responses in this thread are hilarious, talk about bs!
    "In 2004, the National Annenberg Election Survey asked 768 people who identified themselves as Indian whether they found the name “Washington Redskins” offensive. Almost 90 percent said it did not bother them."

    But a handful of 'activists' are playing soft white liberals, riding that white guilt pony for all it is worth. The sad thing is...those that pretend to actually care about this dont ACTUALLY give a **** about Indians and never have.

  3. #113
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Again, do you honestly think the OP was about name-calling? As in "hey, Redskin" or "hey, Native American". Or do you think it was about the situations where you do need to refer to a person's race in front of them and you have a choice between 'Native American' or 'Redskin'? Like, when AmericanWoman said she is half Mexican. I could have responded "How was it growing up here being part Mexican?" Or I could have responded "How was it growing up here being part wetback?" See how I have a choice between two words there? Do you think the OP was referring to that kind of situation rather than name calling? You REALLY and honestly think the OP was referring to the ridiculous situation of name calling?
    Because the OP was a roundabout (and silly) way to ask the same question that was asked in the other poll, which is "Do you think "Redskin" is a slur".

    The OP asked if you would call someone "Redskin" to his face. My answer is "no" and not because I think "Redskin" is an intentional slur. It's because I don't call anyone names, slurs or otherwise, to his face.

    Your example of "How was it growing up part Mexican" versus "How was it growing up part Wetback" leads me to the question...why would you even ask that? Would you consider framing a question that way? I do hope your answer is "no". That's something a kid would do, not an adult.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    "In 2004, the National Annenberg Election Survey asked 768 people who identified themselves as Indian whether they found the name “Washington Redskins” offensive. Almost 90 percent said it did not bother them."

    But a handful of 'activists' are playing soft white liberals, riding that white guilt pony for all it is worth. The sad thing is...those that pretend to actually care about this dont ACTUALLY give a **** about Indians and never have.
    Here is an article with a more nuanced context for that poll:

    How Many Native Americans Think ‘Redskins’ is a Slur? CBS DC
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  5. #115
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,043

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    I voted No.

    The reason is I generally call people by their names. If they are strangers, a conversation can be done without knowing names.

    If the poll is trying to link the term to the NFL and why the team name should change, the poll is flawed.

    It all depends on the context in which the word is used. Yelling out "hey, whitesking person or redskin person " may be offensive to some. Asking someone how are the Washington Redskins going to do in the upcoming season is not, imo.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Because the OP was a roundabout (and silly) way to ask the same question that was asked in the other poll, which is "Do you think "Redskin" is a slur".

    The OP asked if you would call someone "Redskin" to his face. My answer is "no" and not because I think "Redskin" is an intentional slur. It's because I don't call anyone names, slurs or otherwise, to his face.

    Your example of "How was it growing up part Mexican" versus "How was it growing up part Wetback" leads me to the question...why would you even ask that? Would you consider framing a question that way? I do hope your answer is "no". That's something a kid would do, not an adult.
    Funny how you think that it is something a kid would do rather than an adult, and yet AmericanWoman 'liked' my post.

    I wouldn't ask the question because I already have enough information along those lines. However, there is nothing wrong with asking people about themselves and the specific context of their lives. Thus, if I did want to know, I would rephrase it slightly to the following "How did growing up part Mexican affect you? Did you notice any difficulties, or were things pretty smooth?" I would rephrase it this way only because I wouldn't want to make it seem like the experience of people in specific situations was monolithic.

    I disagree that an adult cannot ask about a person's experiences with regard to their race. I want to know first hand experiences because I believe it contributes to the ability to empathize. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

    That said, it is irrelevant whether you think it is something a child would do. Any specific example of using a racial designation in front of a person can be conveniently characterized as 'immature' or whatever in order to attempt to avoid answering the question, but I think the person should have to repeatedly avoid answering the question so that it becomes very clear what that person is doing. You haven't answered the question once yet, and instead have been answering a different question - the question as to whether it is ok to name-call. Nobody is asking whether it is ok to name call. Everyone pretty much agrees it is not ok to name call, and that redskin would be a way to name call which would not be ok. Since that is the case, I wonder why you are so interested in making that point. But, I mean that rhetorically, I hardly need an answer from you to figure that one out.

    In that light, let's try again. Do you honestly think the OP was about name calling or do you think it was about the need to use a racial designation in front of a Native American person, and choosing between 'Native American' or 'Redskin'?
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  7. #117
    Educator
    mtm1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    05-25-17 @ 04:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,067

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    This is a better question than the other poll.

    If your answer is "no," you should ponder why not. And maybe even post why not in this thread.
    answered no.

    why would someone bring that up? i know i wouldn't.

    people are people!!
    Go Vols

  8. #118
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Yup. If I am with my native friends and we are playing around, yeah I might throw it out there but I would never just say that to some randon person I don't even know.
    And the same is true for virtually anyone else. Most of us weren't raised by billy goats, without any social skills. Even the most coarse of us should have the good sense not to even push the issue, and we don't normally want to hurt anyone's feelings, unless we have serious issues ourselves. I believe the op was just an attempt at being over the top and hyperbolic, for effect. The truth is that it's very unlikely that someone is going to call a total stranger red skin, whitey, or any other of a variety of terms pointing strictly to skin color.

    I would say that just because I consider some NA's to be literally family members, and they know I would never intentionally insult them. They have their nicknames for me too.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #119
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    This is a better question than the other poll.

    If your answer is "no," you should ponder why not. And maybe even post why not in this thread.
    I wouldn't, but then I wouldn't call them an Indian, Chief, Brave or Warrior either.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  10. #120
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Would you call a Native American "redskin" to their face?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    So, now, why would you avoid the use of 'black' if it isn't offensive in some way?
    I already stated that TWICE now, so let me do it again.

    I recognize that SOME people within that group do find it offensive to be labeled as such, so when dealing with people on a direct level where I have to reference race I tend to go with the word with the least potential to offend that would normally be in my vocabularly regarding that race.

    A PERSON finding a word offensive is different than the word inerently being only usable in an offensive manner.

    It's also because it's a situation where I'm directly referencing a person. Referencing things AROUND a person is a situation that needs less discretion. If I'm having to reference a black person by their race, I'm probably going "african american". If I'm talking about racial relations AROUND a black person, I'll probably talk use the word "black" as a reference to that race.

    The reason for that is I think, in general, people are less apt to reasonably look at the context of a statement that is directed at them then a generalized one because of the personal nature of it. So the more likely a scenario is that I think someone will quickly take offense if they find something offensive, the more I'll try to be polite and go with the least likely to offend topic or word. The less likely that they'll take quick offense in a scenario, the more natural I'll let myself speak.

    But because I'm not an ass or a hyper partisan type looking to make a point in everything I do, I don't go out of my way to use words or express views or thoughts that don't normally come to my mind simply to prove a point.

    I've never suggested there aren't native americans that find Redskins offensive in all forms, OR that would find it offensive when used specifically in the modern day to refer to them or their race. I absolutely acknowledge it CAN be used in an offensive manner, and some ARE offended. And because I have politeness and tact, when I'm addressing someone specifically (or a group of someones specifically) I'm going to go with the least objectionable. But what I have suggested is that it's not ALWAYS offensive in all contexts and that a majority of native americans are not significantly offended or bothered by it as a name of a sports team.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •