View Poll Results: Should we pay for water?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    59 73.75%
  • No

    15 18.75%
  • Maybe

    6 7.50%
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 303

Thread: Should we pay for water?

  1. #131
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Should we pay for water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Water is my cheapest bill. About $40 every two months.



    I'mma say, in a sense Yes, having access to potable water is a basic human right, since you're dead in 3 days without it.

    But if your income (from whatever source) is above the poverty line, you should be able to pay for reasonable water use.
    Well, there WAS a time when we drank from water fountains and not plastic bottles we bought in a convenience store!
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we pay for water?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Without water, we cannot live. Therefore since we have a right to life we have a right to water.

    The prohibition on collecting rainwater should be prohibited.


    If you're not in a position to drop your own well, a "cost plus" method of delivery should be established in the locality in which you reside. The "plus" a minimal amount which covers the expenses of withdrawing, cleaning, distributing, and maintenance of infrastructure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    You cannot have a right to other people paying for something for you.

    Just because something is required for living does not make it a right.

    Rights are unalienable, inherent rather than parasitic.

    If everything you needed was provided for you, at the expense of another's labor, why work? Your survival is not my problem, I do not live for your sake.

    These two quotes, rightly understood, are not incompatible. You don't have an intrinsic right to someone delivering water to your home, but you do have a right to the water that falls from the sky, at a subsistence level. If someone is taking water that fell from the sky and not leaving enough for everyone's subsistence, then there is a conflict. A conflict which should resolve with the individual right trumping the business.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    It is government that torments us. Government is broken.

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    The reason I brought this up, because if a major US city has half its population unable to afford basic water supply, it speaks to how broken our capitalist system is becoming.
    Get a grip. What is broken is government. Nearly every ill flows from government that has lost its way. We have a Constitution to limit the interference of government in our lives and in our affairs. Too many of us are eager to throw away our individual rights, our freedoms, our liberty, as long as someone in government promises to plunder our neighbors to give us a few undeserved crumbs.

    It is time to fix our broken government.
    It is time to amend the Constitution in ways that will compel the Federal vermin to comply with the Constitution.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Should we pay for water?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    The Capitalist system is flailing on so many levels right now, the gov't can't provide funds fast enough. On one hand they're using the FED to pump $75 billion a month into the banking system and even more into social, safety net programs. We're losing the middle class faster than in the Great Depression and will have a large, working poor class juxtaposed against a super wealthy ruling class.
    Can you say "Thank you president Obama"? He is at the center of the hope and change that is robbing you of your future.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should we pay for water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    These two quotes, rightly understood, are not incompatible. You don't have an intrinsic right to someone delivering water to your home, but you do have a right to the water that falls from the sky, at a subsistence level.
    Rightly understood?

    By who's standards?



    Not!
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #136
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we pay for water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    You don't have an intrinsic right to someone delivering water to your home, but you do have a right to the water that falls from the sky, at a subsistence level.
    There is a whole host of 'water' lawyers out there that would say you are wrong. And the water laws are insane. As I have mentioned before, there are places in the mountains here where it is illegal for you to collect snow out of your yard (for whatever reason) because some state down river has claim to that snow once it melts and runs off and runs through their state. It's pure insanity.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  7. #137
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we pay for water?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    The reason I brought this up, because if a major US city has half its population unable to afford basic water supply, it speaks to how broken our capitalist system is becoming.
    Or it speaks to how the 'poor' would rather have that fancy new smart phone with an expensive data plan that actually put their true needs first.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    06-24-14 @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    63

    Re: Should we pay for water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    There is a whole host of 'water' lawyers out there that would say you are wrong. And the water laws are insane. As I have mentioned before, there are places in the mountains here where it is illegal for you to collect snow out of your yard (for whatever reason) because some state down river has claim to that snow once it melts and runs off and runs through their state. It's pure insanity.
    I have heard about this from a colleague who lives near Denver. They have reasons for their insanity.

  9. #139
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Should we pay for water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    These two quotes, rightly understood, are not incompatible. You don't have an intrinsic right to someone delivering water to your home, but you do have a right to the water that falls from the sky, at a subsistence level. If someone is taking water that fell from the sky and not leaving enough for everyone's subsistence, then there is a conflict. A conflict which should resolve with the individual right trumping the business.
    Take for instance not only the rainwater but aquafiers. Some places have demanded residents to fill their wells and link up to the main and pay for water. That company has no more right to that aquafier than the individuals sinking there wells but the coercive force of government actively denies them of what they've procured for themselves.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we pay for water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    There is a whole host of 'water' lawyers out there that would say you are wrong. And the water laws are insane. As I have mentioned before, there are places in the mountains here where it is illegal for you to collect snow out of your yard (for whatever reason) because some state down river has claim to that snow once it melts and runs off and runs through their state. It's pure insanity.
    I am not saying what the law is, but rather what the law ought to be. Subsistence is a birthright as far as I am concerned.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •