View Poll Results: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    48 52.75%
  • No

    43 47.25%
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 510

Thread: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

  1. #71
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    My point is that what is being discussed in this thread is a dangerous precedent to set. Where does it end? It should never start. The insurance industry includes all these factors in their actuarial formulas. There's no reason to change that.
    If you get insurance through your work, that is not the case. If you are employable and your coverage takes care of preexisting conditions, then you are good to go. Most workplaces have taken on the promotion of health as a cost control measure because many large companies underwrite their own policies. That means they pay the COST OF CARE, not premiums, and pay companies like Blue Cross to administer the program. Wellness is a big deal in a lot of employment settings. But, bear in mind that there are certain protected disabilities that the employer has no choice but to ensure, regardless.

    CIAO. I'm tired. Going to get a bath and rest a bit! Catch you later.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  2. #72
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    It should start and in earnest. It will be good for society.
    How will it be good for society, when personal habits cannot be legislated or taxed or charged to a point that they no longer exist, and for drug addicts, many fat people and others that have risky habits or adverse lifestyle habits are on public assistance to begin with, so it will be the tax payer that pays the bill (Medicaid), and that will absolutely have no effect on the habits of these people because they will NOT pay anything, much less a higher rate? Which, will be BAD for society, or at least those of us that actually pay taxes. You can't pay more of nothing. Nothing is what it is, so most of these people will not be effected by an increase in costs for them.

    We already pay for them, as I said, by the insurance companies including them in the actuarial calculations for the minority of them that are not on Medicaid. So this proposal just doesn't make any sense, other than to have the tax payer have to carry more of the burden, which those of us that do pay taxes (and I pay a hell of a lot of tax) we would prefer to not increase our already high tax bill to cover what is already covered and paid for.

  3. #73
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    If you get insurance through your work, that is not the case. If you are employable and your coverage takes care of preexisting conditions, then you are good to go. Most workplaces have taken on the promotion of health as a cost control measure because many large companies underwrite their own policies. That means they pay the COST OF CARE, not premiums, and pay companies like Blue Cross to administer the program. Wellness is a big deal in a lot of employment settings. But, bear in mind that there are certain protected disabilities that the employer has no choice but to ensure, regardless.

    CIAO. I'm tired. Going to get a bath and rest a bit! Catch you later.
    Rest up dear. Talk to you later.

  4. #74
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,044

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Ummm......

    .......A Doctor who went to medical school and graduated and is sitting there pointing at a screen telling you "Mr So and So, you are medically fat."
    yea because doctors are never wrong.


    That's who. Exactly.


    Here's an example of doctors telling people they are fat. Doctors aren't Nazis and they aren't evil, they're just.. doctors..!!
    Thats great but not at all the same.

    What part of insurance Nazi's was hard for you to understand? See this is the problem why medical care is so ****ing high: INSURANCE COMPANIES. But par for course for a private collective system. The only difference between universal healthcare and our current insurance based medical system is how it is paid for. Your whining about fat people ****ing it all up for everyone else is the result of people not just paying for their own healthcare. If you dont want to pay for someone elses eating habits stop buying health insurance. Come on step up to the plate and stop riding on someone elses buck.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That seems to be the case for age now - everyone will develop that medical condition.
    Well, there is an alternative, but it isn't very popular.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #76
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    as i said in the post. they screwed the poor smokers right to the wall. it was insane. glad i quit, and thank you Allen Carr.
    Smoking is a choice. No one is born a smoker.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #77
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs?
    Only if rich people get charged more for being able to afford it.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #78
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    I'm sorry but that's just not an answer. I'm by no means a political conservative or progressive, but to have a position of, as you do, "Well poor people all eat fattening food so we have to base everything our society does off that reality" is deeply flawed any way you cut it.

    Poor people are always going to eat fattening food, no matter what. They're uneducated and that's why. They smoke. They don't exercise. They don't use birth control. They have children at 17. It isn't a matter of wealth. Eating healthy can be extremely cheap too. Eating fattening foods is actually rather expensive. It isn't cheap as you claim it is. MacDonald's takes money. The grocery store is cheaper by far.
    It's simply not true that a healthy eating lifestyle is more economically feasible than an unhealthy one.

    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...ype=blogs&_r=0

    The poor are uneducated because our government burdens people who choose to pursue a college education with student loan debt as opposed to free higher education. They smoke cigarettes, marijuana, or whatever other drug because our criminal "justice" system values punishment over rehabilitation. They don't exercise because jobs with poor pay require long hours. They either don't use birth control because they can't afford it or the birth control doesn't work. It's not a fool proof system. You're painting it out as though the poor chose this lifestyle because they're lazy and want society to do everything for them, but that heavily conflicts with reality.

    Either way, as a liberal poster posted previously, fat people actually do end up over long periods of time paying more for health care, obviously, but not near enough compared to what they end up costing non fat people in the short and medium term.


    If a fat person has to make 15 doctor trips from age 50-60 and a non fat person has to make 5 doctor trips from 50-60, how is that fair that the non fat persons bills are heavily influenced by the fat persons as obviously the industry does? It is basically indirect theft of people who stay healthy.
    I'm of the opinion that healthcare should be free and government funded. Systems such as this are actually cheaper in other countries, so it would save tax dollars for the healthy people you seem to be so concerned about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Encouraging and rewarding healthy lifestyles is not 'shaming.'
    Apologies to you and the OP; I misread the post about shaming people as coming from the OP. It came from someone else. But making someone living an unhealthy lifestyle because they cannot afford any better is in no way going to encourage them to live a better lifestyle.

    Let me give you a real life situation: Methamphetamine producers/dealers frequently get severe burns over large portions of their bodies when a batch blows up all over them. I know of one burn unit that had to treat so many injured, uninsured meth producers that it was well on the way to closing its doors due to lack of funding. In fact, it may already have, I have not talked to anyone who would know lately. Treatment of serious burns involves long expensive hospitalizations, expensive surgeries like skin grafts, and expensive medications to prevent or treat infections. So, we are all equal in your eyes. Go cook yourself along with your batch of meth and Dr. Feelgood will treat you with the most modern methods available to medical science with no regard for the cost to people who likely are just scraping by in their own households to pay the bills.

    That is a really lopsided house you are building there. People really need to expect to have to be responsible for the choices they make in life. Granted there are many illnesses that are not so clear cut, and with medications that cause metabolic changes, obesity is one. But cooking meth , smoking, doing drugs, driving while drunk, and many other things are choices. Making those choices should come with a price for the person who made them.
    As I stated before, I'm of the opinion that healthcare is a human right. And human rights are pretty cheap if you exclude people from them at will. People make irresponsible choices, yes. I'm not clear on why cooking meth makes people deserving of any aid whatsoever. If someone does something illegal or immoral, that does not mean they've lost their value as humans.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    I don't really this smarmy way of trying to control people. I know it might add costs to healthcare, but this is SUPPOSED to be a free country.

    Oh, I know, I know, sure they can be fat if they want, but they'll have to pay more. It just seems like a scheme to control. What's going to be next?

  10. #80
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,383

    re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    65 and older get Medicare.
    I said older, not old. Rates go up every year of age starting at 18.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •