View Poll Results: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    48 52.75%
  • No

    43 47.25%
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 510

Thread: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

  1. #391
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    Part of the problem is that there is very little in the way of information that would allow you to shop around in order to find the best price. In addition, there is very little reason to shop around because someone else is paying for it..........my wife has patients badger her for equipment they do not need. When she explains they do not need it and she will not prescribe it, they get rather upset and generally go on a rant about how it is free anyway. Free to whom? (Yes. I am a big proponent of personal health care savings programs)
    I also think that the ones who offer the best coverages are already the most expensive policies to have. It just doesn't make sense that you are going to get any kind of good coverage at a discounted price. I've known several people who had really terrible insurance, but they paid a lot less probably. Lol!

    Right, when people don't have to pay for something out of their own pockets and don't understand how the insurance works, then they just assume it's "free." They don't realize that we ALL pay in the end.

  2. #392
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,555

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I also think that the ones who offer the best coverages are already the most expensive policies to have. It just doesn't make sense that you are going to get any kind of good coverage at a discounted price. I've known several people who had really terrible insurance, but they paid a lot less probably. Lol!

    Right, when people don't have to pay for something out of their own pockets and don't understand how the insurance works, then they just assume it's "free." They don't realize that we ALL pay in the end.
    There's nothing like "free" to bring the costs of things up.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #393
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    There's nothing like "free" to bring the costs of things up.
    Nothing is "free" unfortunately. Somebody somewhere is paying for it.

  4. #394
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,368

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I also think that the ones who offer the best coverages are already the most expensive policies to have. It just doesn't make sense that you are going to get any kind of good coverage at a discounted price. I've known several people who had really terrible insurance, but they paid a lot less probably. Lol!

    Right, when people don't have to pay for something out of their own pockets and don't understand how the insurance works, then they just assume it's "free." They don't realize that we ALL pay in the end.
    I agree. However, I was referring to a lack of information from health care providers. I generally cannot contact a few hospitals and and expect to get an estimate of costs for a procedure. I guess there is no reason to get the best value for the money in health care. It is free after all.....
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  5. #395
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    I agree. However, I was referring to a lack of information from health care providers. I generally cannot contact a few hospitals and and expect to get an estimate of costs for a procedure. I guess there is no reason to get the best value for the money in health care. It is free after all.....
    Well, I don't think health care providers are insurance experts either. They have billing departments for that stuff. I'm not against the federal government laying some basic ground rules for insurance companies to make it easier for them, so that they can offer coverage out of their own state to other people in other states. That would open up competition (like it did with the car insurance companies). However, HOW much difference for the same level of coverage is there going to be from one company to another? Especially when considering just how expensive healthcare really is?

  6. #396
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,368

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, I don't think health care providers are insurance experts either. They have billing departments for that stuff. I'm not against the federal government laying some basic ground rules for insurance companies to make it easier for them, so that they can offer coverage out of their own state to other people in other states. That would open up competition (like it did with the car insurance companies). However, HOW much difference for the same level of coverage is there going to be from one company to another? Especially when considering just how expensive healthcare really is?
    I personally would like the feds to require health care providers to at least provide cost estimates of services provided. There are always unforeseen issues that can come up, but as you pointed out, if one provider charges more than another for those tests and gets the same outcome, I would go for the cheaper provider. If one hospital charges $5000 to perform an endoscopy and gets the same outcome as a hospital performing the same procedure for $15,000, I would go for the cheaper.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  7. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by JumpinJack View Post
    For a guy who is too scared to publicize his political leanings, you sure have strong opinions. For me, I opt to be kind.

    Political leanings mean nothing in relation to how one lives their health lifestyle, so there's that.


    Be kind? Are you so sure you're being kind by telling medically fat kids and or adults that they're healthy?

    Will they think you so kind when they're 55 and in the hospital dying of some diseases amplified via them being fat?
    Will they think you so kind when they realize they can't get a pretty girlfriend?
    Will they think you so kind when they earn a decent living yet still cannot attain a quality mate or high self esteem due to their weight?

    Something very much tells me no. I very much do not believe you or anyone else is being "kind" by attempting to blur the lines of what actually amounts to being fat.



    People need to be told they're a fatass, and to their face with vitriol. They deserve to face temporary humiliation if it will push them to change to where they will live another 20 years or get to marry who they want. I would argue anything less is being extremely cruel to them. Life is actually very much a zero sum game.

  8. #398
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Political leanings mean nothing in relation to how one lives their health lifestyle, so there's that.


    Be kind? Are you so sure you're being kind by telling medically fat kids and or adults that they're healthy?

    Will they think you so kind when they're 55 and in the hospital dying of some diseases amplified via them being fat?
    Will they think you so kind when they realize they can't get a pretty girlfriend?
    Will they think you so kind when they earn a decent living yet still cannot attain a quality mate or high self esteem due to their weight?

    Something very much tells me no. I very much do not believe you or anyone else is being "kind" by attempting to blur the lines of what actually amounts to being fat.



    People need to be told they're a fatass, and to their face with vitriol. They deserve to face temporary humiliation if it will push them to change to where they will live another 20 years or get to marry who they want. I would argue anything less is being extremely cruel to them. Life is actually very much a zero sum game.
    Interesting. I wonder if you say such things to fat people often, when you don't have the anonymity of being online that is?

  9. #399
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    I personally would like the feds to require health care providers to at least provide cost estimates of services provided. There are always unforeseen issues that can come up, but as you pointed out, if one provider charges more than another for those tests and gets the same outcome, I would go for the cheaper provider. If one hospital charges $5000 to perform an endoscopy and gets the same outcome as a hospital performing the same procedure for $15,000, I would go for the cheaper.
    Oh, so would I. You would be crazy not to, IMO. I don't know why they can't give estimations if you have some planned procedure. I don't see any reasons why they shouldn't be able to advertise prices. That could help bring down prices and make things more competitive in the health care industry.

  10. #400
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if you say such things to fat people often, when you don't have the anonymity of being online that is?

    http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ih9...8#.U646mfldXng

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •