View Poll Results: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    48 52.75%
  • No

    43 47.25%
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 510

Thread: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

  1. #191
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Everyone, minus rare, extreme exceptions that are not common at all, is capable of being a healthy weight, even people with diabetes.

    Body type or your parents genes do not mean you have to be overweight. It's all about what the actual person does in their life that is the determinate factor.

    You are simply angry and so you run around blurring the lines or attempting to that "Obesity is so hard to determine and there's tons of exceptions". That is not true and you know it.
    When challenged, you're not even willing to pretend to have an open mind. Got it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #192
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What leeway would you allow? (If you were the Health Czar)

    If a person's ideal weight for their height were 165 lbs, would you allow 170? 190? 210? Obviously 240 would be unacceptable, based on your comment above. Would you allow no leeway at all?
    . I think that body fat percent is a more accurate measure of obesity and health risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    When challenged, you're not even willing to pretend to have an open mind. Got it.
    Body mass index (BMI) | Better Health Channel

    Risks of being overweight and physically inactive

    If you are overweight (BMI over 25) and physically inactive, you may develop:
    cardiovascular (heart and blood circulation) disease
    gallbladder disease
    high blood pressure (hypertension)
    type 2 diabetes
    osteoarthritis
    certain types of cancer, such as colon and breast cancer
    depression and other mental health disorders.



    Again, these are many symptoms OF obesity. They are NOT exceptions that mean "You are unable to control your weight" as you nonsensically claim.


    Again, you are simply irrational on this issue. Yet that's not honestly surprising and adds up directly with our cultural irrationality on the issue.

  4. #194
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,062

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    It's all about what the actual person does in their life that is the determinate factor.

    So then it would appear that you want someone to dictate what a "actual person does in their life". Just so that you can hopefully keep insurance rates down. Your logic leads straight to 'death panels' as a logical way to keep those insurance rates down.

    Basically Fred is fat and unhealthy, to hell with the fat ass he is raising our insurance rates!. I can see the propagandists slogans already: Everyone wake up! The fat people are destroying this country! Only TRUE Americans are not fat! Load up the fatties and send them to a camp!

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I understand that, but the vast majority of people can, yet choose not to. The vast majority of people that are clinically obese were not victims of a horrific accident.
    How do you know? Have you done some polling recently? All I know is that I type for a trauma center in California, and I type about patients who are seriously hurting. I mean SERIOUSLY hurting. Automobile accidents are common and they really, really mess you up bad.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    So then it would appear that you want someone to dictate what a "actual person does in their life". Just so that you can hopefully keep insurance rates down. Your logic leads straight to 'death panels' as a logical way to keep those insurance rates down.

    Basically Fred is fat and unhealthy, to hell with the fat ass he is raising our insurance rates!. I can see the propagandists slogans already: Everyone wake up! The fat people are destroying this country! Only TRUE Americans are not fat! Load up the fatties and send them to a camp!
    Or, they could just pay a bit more for their health insurance.

    Or, better yet, people who live a healthy lifestyle could be given a discount.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #197
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Body mass index (BMI) | Better Health Channel

    Risks of being overweight and physically inactive

    If you are overweight (BMI over 25) and physically inactive, you may develop:
    cardiovascular (heart and blood circulation) disease
    gallbladder disease
    high blood pressure (hypertension)
    type 2 diabetes
    osteoarthritis
    certain types of cancer, such as colon and breast cancer
    depression and other mental health disorders.



    Again, these are many symptoms OF obesity. They are NOT exceptions that mean "You are unable to control your weight" as you nonsensically claim.


    Again, you are simply irrational on this issue. Yet that's not honestly surprising and adds up directly with our cultural irrationality on the issue.
    Unfortunately, this BMI standard is really just an adjusted lbs per inch of height metric, and doesn't take into consideration build or bodyfat or muscle or bone mass. It's no better than the old height/weight charts of 20 years ago.

    My BMI is well over 25, yet no one in their right mind would call me fat, or overweight, or even pudgy or soft. BMI is really a standard created for dimwitted doctors who are to ignorant to understand body composition analysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    So then it would appear that you want someone to dictate what a "actual person does in their life". Just so that you can hopefully keep insurance rates down. Your logic leads straight to 'death panels' as a logical way to keep those insurance rates down.

    Wrong.

    What I and most rational, normal weight Americans want is simply for medically judged (by a doctor) obese Americans to be told:

    "Hi, Sir or M'am, your medical file says medically obese so the charge will be $300.00 today. Thank you."

    and then

    "Hi Sir or Ma'm, your medical file says normal medical weight for age, so the charge will be $150.00 today. Thank you."


    THAT is what we want. We do not want to keep being charged to pay for your daily box of sugar donuts and Twinkies via increased medical bills for all.


    Last edited by Ryan5; 06-22-14 at 06:44 PM.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    Wrong.

    What I and most rational, normal weight Americans want is simply for medically judged (by a doctor) obese Americans to be told:

    "Hi, Sir or M'am, your medical file says medically obese so the charge will be $300.00 today. Thank you."

    and then

    "Hi Sir or Ma'm, your medical file says normal medical weight for age, so the charge will be $150.00 today. Thank you."


    THAT is what we want. We do not want to keep being charged to pay for your daily box of sugar donuts and Twinkies via increased medical bills for all.
    I think most of the obese people are poor. Now what?

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I think most of the obese people are poor. Now what?

    This one doesn't look poor. Now what?


Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •