View Poll Results: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    48 52.75%
  • No

    43 47.25%
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 510

Thread: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

  1. #141
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I don't disagree with your comments because we don't yet know the extent to which genetics plays a role and we don't yet know the extent to which chemicals in foods - such as steroids in chicken - impact the amount of excess fat some people pack on without "bad behaviour".

    As for the poor being fatter, I don't disagree about that as well. I would point out, however, that often the foods that are best for you are the ones that cost the most - fresh fruits and vegetables, as an example, cost more than canned that are often heavily salted.

    But if you follow the logic of the OP, we should charge poor people more for healthcare because their poverty promotes their lifestyle related health issues. That sounds like a winner in the logical conclusions game.
    I've seen many people claim that eating healthier is cheaper. I'm sorry, but that's just not in my experience. Both in observations and personal attempts.

    Now, I'm in a financial position where I can afford better quality food, but not everybody is, nor have I always been as fortunate as I am now.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #142
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    No, it cannot.

    Type 1 diabetes is caused by an autoimmune disorder, which attacks and destroys the pancreas.

    Type 2 diabetes is caused by a genetic disorder which interferes with the chemical action of insulin.

    Neither of these conditions is ever caused by poor diet. Both of these conditions require a specialized diet, but if you do not have the underlying autoimmune or genetic disorders that cause them, then no amount of poor diet will will ever cause you to develop either condition.
    That's old school thinking. Recent research is suggesting that Type 2 can be either genetic AND/OR diet/lifestyle. Personally, I believe that that will be eventually proven.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #143
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Along with freedom comes responsibility. Want to surf the ten meter waves? Go for it. Want to sit on the couch eating potato chips every evening? Go for it. Do what you like. However, if what you like raises the cost of medical care, be prepared to pay more than people who don't engage in risky behavior.
    Sounds good. Be careful what you wish for. Ala carte pricing just might bite you in the butt over something you would never suspect, while collective pricing actually saves most people money in the long run.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #144
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Exactly. Two years ago I was diagnosed as being diabetic, and a bunch of other stuff. I started eating better and started exercising and lost weight, and I am now off of most of the medications that I was on. I guess that technically I am still diabetic, but I control it with diet, instead of pills.
    For now. What you describe is fairly common in newly diagnosed diabetics. Most diabetics eventually start regressing again. If you can come back in ten years and say the same thing, then you will have beaten the odds. Not impossible or unheard of, but not as simple as you're thinking right now.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Wow the fat influential posters weren't able to corrupt the poll! There's hope for the world!


    Last edited by Ryan5; 06-22-14 at 01:50 AM.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yep. In today's world, with the knowledge we have available, to dismiss fat people as simply being undisciplined isn't just ignorance... it's willful ignorance. There are way too many potential variables for one to make such a simplistic conclusion.
    Well, a lot of people think that fat people are just lazy and/or eat too much. I learned that just wasn't true with my job, and typing about people who have very limited mobility or they are confined to a wheelchair, and they can't exercise hardly at all.

  7. #147
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    No, I am not rationalizing poor health choices.

    With or without the underlying genetic condition that causes type 2 diabetes, we are all responsible for making choices that will affect our health for good or for ill. And in some cases, poor choices may indeed rightfully be cited as the cause of a particular ailment, rather than merely an aggravating condition.

    Type 2 diabetes is not such a case. It is the underlying genetic condition which causes it. Poor diet and lifestyle choices will certainly aggravate this condition, but they are not the cause of it.

    But really, it gets back to the argument that someone else was making, based on the assumption that everyone who is obese is so because of poor choices. This is false. The genetic condition that underlies type 2 diabetes can cause obesity, and it can be extremely difficult for someone with this condition to avoid this effect. To assume that every person who suffers from obesity is just a fat, lazy slob, who deserves the condition, is just plain ignorant.
    As any endurance athlete knows, everyone burns 5 calories per liter of oxygen. Genetics, race, sex, age, all have no effect on that. Ultimately your body must adhere to the laws of chemistry and physics. If you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight.

    For example, a 155 pound individual running on a 60 degree day at a pace of 7.5 minutes per mile without wind and on level terrain, will burn a net of 108 calories per mile regardless of their genetics because the physical laws of the universe requires that much energy to move their body at that pace over mile.

    Some people rationalize a lot of excuses on why they cannot lose weight or why they are not in better shape, or why various entirely preventable diseases afflict them. I have have a daughter with Cerebral Palsy. She has no use at all of her right arm and little use of her right leg. Despite that she runs cross country and is on the local swim team. Just last weekend she got out and ran 6 miles with me. If she can be strong and fit, then just about anyone outside of a wheelchair can be. Its all a matter of choosing to make those life choices.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    As any endurance athlete knows, everyone burns 5 calories per liter of oxygen. Genetics, race, sex, age, all have no effect on that. Ultimately your body must adhere to the laws of chemistry and physics. If you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight.

    For example, a 155 pound individual running on a 60 degree day at a pace of 7.5 minutes per mile without wind and on level terrain, will burn a net of 108 calories per mile regardless of their genetics because the physical laws of the universe requires that much energy to move their body at that pace over mile.

    Some people rationalize a lot of excuses on why they cannot lose weight or why they are not in better shape, or why various entirely preventable diseases afflict them. I have have a daughter with Cerebral Palsy. She has no use at all of her right arm and little use of her right leg. Despite that she runs cross country and is on the local swim team. Just last weekend she got out and ran 6 miles with me. If she can be strong and fit, then just about anyone outside of a wheelchair can be. Its all a matter of choosing to make those life choices.
    A lot of people (who have been in car accidents, etc.) cannot mobilize themselves enough to lose weight. Some people are on pain medications on a chronic basis and still have excruciating pain.

  9. #149
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    As any endurance athlete knows, everyone burns 5 calories per liter of oxygen. Genetics, race, sex, age, all have no effect on that. Ultimately your body must adhere to the laws of chemistry and physics. If you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight.

    For example, a 155 pound individual running on a 60 degree day at a pace of 7.5 minutes per mile without wind and on level terrain, will burn a net of 108 calories per mile regardless of their genetics because the physical laws of the universe requires that much energy to move their body at that pace over mile.

    Some people rationalize a lot of excuses on why they cannot lose weight or why they are not in better shape, or why various entirely preventable diseases afflict them. I have have a daughter with Cerebral Palsy. She has no use at all of her right arm and little use of her right leg. Despite that she runs cross country and is on the local swim team. Just last weekend she got out and ran 6 miles with me. If she can be strong and fit, then just about anyone outside of a wheelchair can be. Its all a matter of choosing to make those life choices.
    Choosing a high impact aerobic activity like running long distances may not be the best in the long run either. High impact activities take a toll on the knees and back in particular, and can lead to a situation in which the individual can no longer even walk comfortably. A low impact activity such as hiking, biking, the ellipticals at the gym, or swimming would be a better choice.

    When you're 20, running may seem like a good idea. Fifty years down the road, it just might not.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #150
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Should medically judged fat people pay higher medical costs? [W:87]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, a lot of people think that fat people are just lazy and/or eat too much. I learned that just wasn't true with my job, and typing about people who have very limited mobility or they are confined to a wheelchair, and they can't exercise hardly at all.


    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •