View Poll Results: Is Redskin a slur?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    43 39.81%
  • No

    65 60.19%
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 307

Thread: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

  1. #261
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Claiming the people who are objecting to the name consist of effeminate men and little girls.
    That is NOT a Straw Man.

    A straw man argument is one that misrepresents a position in order to make it appear weaker than it actually is, refutes this misrepresentation of the position, and then concludes that the real position has been refuted. This, of course, is a fallacy, because the position that has been claimed to be refuted is different to that which has actually been refuted; the real target of the argument is untouched by it.

    Logical Fallacies» Straw Man Fallacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #262
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,273

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Whatever whitey.
    So was that supposed to be an insult? Because if it was, you failed.

    If you're white like I am, we all know that people of the same race can call each other "slurs" all the time and it isn't supposed to be offensive. If you aren't white like me, it doesn't bother me either because I am white, and don't get offended when someone acknowledges it. I'm also blonde, and if you called me "blondie" it would have the exact same effect as "whitey".

  3. #263
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,533

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So was that supposed to be an insult? Because if it was, you failed.

    If you're white like I am, we all know that people of the same race can call each other "slurs" all the time and it isn't supposed to be offensive. If you aren't white like me, it doesn't bother me either because I am white, and don't get offended when someone acknowledges it. I'm also blonde, and if you called me "blondie" it would have the exact same effect as "whitey".
    Whatever blondie.

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    07-21-14 @ 07:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    614

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That is NOT a Straw Man.

    A straw man argument is one that misrepresents a position in order to make it appear weaker than it actually is, refutes this misrepresentation of the position, and then concludes that the real position has been refuted. This, of course, is a fallacy, because the position that has been claimed to be refuted is different to that which has actually been refuted; the real target of the argument is untouched by it.

    Logical Fallacies» Straw Man Fallacy
    This has been explained to this poster many times before. It matters not a whit, stop posting strawmen Bodihisattva.

  5. #265
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    It has nothing to do with being a bad ass. Actual men to do not go "oh thats racist" because a tiny minority of a minority suddenly decided that a work or sports team name is racist.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #266
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,327

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    I do not think it was ever intended to be a slur or offensive. But then again I am not in their world.

    Frankly, my guess it is not just about the name, but all the silly behavior that goes along with it. None of it meant as offensive, but like I said, I have not been subject to INTENTIONAL slurs all my life, so I have no reason to be offended by an unintentional slur.

  7. #267
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    It has nothing to do with being a bad ass. Actual men to do not go "oh thats racist" because a tiny minority of a minority suddenly decided that a work or sports team name is racist.
    Especially when they do it in that effeminate whiney voice with their hand waving hysterically...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #268
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,115

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    I do not think it was ever intended to be a slur or offensive. But then again I am not in their world.

    Frankly, my guess it is not just about the name, but all the silly behavior that goes along with it. None of it meant as offensive, but like I said, I have not been subject to INTENTIONAL slurs all my life, so I have no reason to be offended by an unintentional slur.
    What world are you in... or on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #269
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    I don't get why people get so butthurt over names. It's kinda childish if you ask me.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  10. #270
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,533

    re: Is Redskin a slur? [W:282]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Especially when they do it in that effeminate whiney voice with their hand waving hysterically...
    What's even worse are fat old racists that run their low iq mouth from behind a keyboard. They don't have the balls to say these things in public so they vent their hate online with other pussies.

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •