View Poll Results: Is America a Christian Nation?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 25.45%
  • No

    82 74.55%
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 548

Thread: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

  1. #531
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You just proved that it would come from "Enlightenment principles" not Christian principles. Using human reason, not religion, to determine our course. You can't prove that "Enlightenment principles" are Christian based either.
    Using BOTH. Since the founders were mostly Christian, it only makes sense, right? They were also big on freedom from being forced into a specific religion, however, but that does not mean that the basic principals were based upon their Christian upbringings and beliefs. Again, just common sense.

  2. #532
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Using BOTH. Since the founders were mostly Christian, it only makes sense, right? They were also big on freedom from being forced into a specific religion, however, but that does not mean that the basic principals were based upon their Christian upbringings and beliefs. Again, just common sense.
    No it doesn't. Being Christian does not make everything they think of "Christian" based. It merely means a Christian thought of it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #533
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No it doesn't. Being Christian does not make everything they think of "Christian" based. It merely means a Christian thought of it.
    Good Lord!!! Of course, most of their principals and beliefs were based on their religious beliefs, especially when it comes to natural rights of people. They believed they were bestowed by "GOD."

  4. #534
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Good Lord!!! Of course, most of their principals and beliefs were based on their religious beliefs, especially when it comes to natural rights of people. They believed they were bestowed by "GOD."
    No, they weren't. They were based on Enlightenment, which said "use your own reasoning to determine your own path". Nothing about that is religious or Christian in nature. In fact, it is pretty anti- established religions since it says you shouldn't believe what you are told but figure it out for yourself.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #535
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, they weren't. They were based on Enlightenment, which said "use your own reasoning to determine your own path". Nothing about that is religious or Christian in nature. In fact, it is pretty anti- established religions since it says you shouldn't believe what you are told but figure it out for yourself.
    Okay, keep being silly and in denial.

  6. #536
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Those are not totally related.

    As she pointed out, we were formed and still function based on certain moral standards that are rooted in Biblical tradition. I agree that many laws that were put into place, based on Biblical interpretation have been reversed over the years, not the least of which was legal slavery and Jim Crow laws. One of the next will be equality under the law for gays.

    However, this is in no way related to what you say here: "New generations are not only turning their back on faith but are actively fighting agaisnt (sic) strict traditional religious views on social standards." Many religions are transforming as well, with less focus on exclusion and more focus on inclusion; the Catholic Church through it's new Pope is an example. There are also many religions that are going strongly in the other direction; just look at the current unrest in the Middle East.

    So, you've conflated different issues to try and make a point, that many would agree with in part or in whole, but completely disagree with your reasoning.
    I dunno. I don't buy that "morals" are rooted because of the bible. Morals are subjective and evolve as society evolves. I assure you that killing someone or stealing their property or smack talking to their mama would result in getting slapped upside the head long before anyone ever heard of God, Jesus, Yehweh, or whatever.

    When I hear someone tell me that all things considered to be "moral," are because of biblical teachings, I think that is a bit assuming. That would be like someone from the Carpenter's Union telling me they invented the hammer. I just don't buy it.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #537
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I do think that's an interesting point. I've noticed on this site that we have Christians who are pro death penalty. I've been told by some that this is somehow acceptable (I can't remember their reasoning), but IMO that is a rather hypocritical stance. I would think they would let God make those decisions.
    Most Christians I know who support it do so for two reasons
    1. It is biblical
    2. They see the justice system as doling out vengeance and not justice. Personally I think that is a inmature view of the world.
    Only a victim of a crime can come to peace about whatever has happened to them.

  8. #538
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    Most Christians I know who support it do so for two reasons
    1. It is biblical
    2. They see the justice system as doling out vengeance and not justice. Personally I think that is a inmature view of the world.
    Only a victim of a crime can come to peace about whatever has happened to them.
    IMO, it is rather contradictory. Judge not, unless you think he's a bad guy, then judge away and put to death too. It's barbaric and unnecessary IMO.

  9. #539
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I dunno. I don't buy that "morals" are rooted because of the bible. Morals are subjective and evolve as society evolves. I assure you that killing someone or stealing their property or smack talking to their mama would result in getting slapped upside the head long before anyone ever heard of God, Jesus, Yehweh, or whatever.

    When I hear someone tell me that all things considered to be "moral," are because of biblical teachings, I think that is a bit assuming. That would be like someone from the Carpenter's Union telling me they invented the hammer. I just don't buy it.
    Agreed. I was describing how our country and our moral standards have evolved, including the ones which the founding fathers even stated were based on a belief in God. And, then I went even further to discuss that religion at large is evolving and transforming as well.

  10. #540
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Agreed. I was describing how our country and our moral standards have evolved, including the ones which the founding fathers even stated were based on a belief in God. And, then I went even further to discuss that religion at large is evolving and transforming as well.
    Famous Atheist Richard Dawkins says his country, England, IS a 'Christian Country'.
    It's the Same in that respect here.
    And because we are/that's our genesis (if you will), he states the Bible should be taught as literature, and that other literature, references, and History, are Not understandable without it.
    We are a Christian Country in character, if not a theocracy.
    Additionally, app 40+% of us are literalist/creationist.

    Mins 3:30-4:30



    He also makes several other accurate comments on Islam v Christianity.
    That being Christianity, in this case Anglicanism, is relatively benign compared to Intolerant Islam.
    Something I have also stated many times.
    Last edited by mbig; 07-09-14 at 12:17 AM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •