View Poll Results: Is America a Christian Nation?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 25.45%
  • No

    82 74.55%
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 548

Thread: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

  1. #41
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is interesting. Are you now stating that the standard that you erected in order to declare Uganda a Christian Nation is illegitimate?


    How can something be "entirely" secular when there are obvious counterexamples, such as Blue Laws, the existence of an office of Congressional Chaplain, etc.? Do you not mean to say that the vast majority of laws are not intended to enforce specifically Christian teachings?
    Our modern culture and the laws in this country that contradict so many of the teachings in the bible suggest that this country is hardly Christian as a nation. If you are simply referring to people who claim to be christian are large in population then sure, but that doesn't define a nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  2. #42
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Jesus, like the Hermes Trismegistus taught 'as above so below, as below so above.' Many monuments in DC have reflecting pools or are by water to illustrate this ancient concept: Try Washington Monument, Capitol building among others. Also, the vestibule of the Library of Congress has the same emblem on the ceiling and the floor below it to illustrate the same. Jesus was teaching the Ancient Egyptian mystery religion. So, you might be surprised at what you find in DC if you took the time to look for it. The words inscribed on the top of the Washington Monument are "Laus deo" which mean 'praise be to God.' Here is a list of religious symbols in DC which I simply do not want to copy, but you are free to read them:

    Mixing religion and politics: Faith symbols tucked into power capital
    Nation is defined by it's government and it culture, not a bunch of old relics from a time long passed. Do you honestly think our government and our American culture reflects Biblical teachings?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  3. #43
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    This is one of those questions that is asked a lot but is never answered to everyone's satisfaction, isn't black & white, and will probably never really be answered.

    I can only say that for myself, as a non-religious person (by choice, as is my husband), I see myself living in a society that certainly has many Christian-only relevancies. Christmas, for instance. No, we don't observe the religious aspect of it, but we certainly observe it, and it is certainly a Christian holiday. Same for Easter. I don't observe Rosh Hashannah, or Ramadan.

    I don't believe in God, but I say "Oh my God" at least 2 times per day. I don't say "Oh my Allah".

    So even though we don't intend to, it seems that most of us have "Christianity" as part of our lives.

    The groups who came here in the 1600s came here for religious reasons. The Puritans couldn't observe their religion in England so they came here to be free. Of course that was an odd brand of Christianity and when they got here, they banned people from society for not observing their views, which is the same thing that happened to them in England, causing them to come here.

    I think probably the founding Fathers assumed Christianity would be the prevailing religion in the USA not having much if any exposure to Hinduism and Muslim and other religions, but they probably didn't assume it would be exclusive.

    So while that was all a non-answer, I'd say no, we're probably more a melting pot of religions, but yes, Christian and all its strains is the prominent one so if you base it on pure population alone, we would be a Christian nation. If you base on it the way it should be governed, then no, it shouldn't be considered a Christian nation.

  4. #44
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Nation is defined by it's government and it culture, not a bunch of old relics from a time long passed. Do you honestly think our government and our American culture reflects Biblical teachings?
    Yes, I think the way the majority of Americans live their lives reflects that they do their very best to live by Biblical teachings. But you have to leave the ghetto to see that.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  5. #45
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    This is one of those questions that is asked a lot but is never answered to everyone's satisfaction, isn't black & white, and will probably never really be answered.

    I can only say that for myself, as a non-religious person (by choice, as is my husband), I see myself living in a society that certainly has many Christian-only relevancies. Christmas, for instance. No, we don't observe the religious aspect of it, but we certainly observe it, and it is certainly a Christian holiday. Same for Easter. I don't observe Rosh Hashannah, or Ramadan.

    I don't believe in God, but I say "Oh my God" at least 2 times per day. I don't say "Oh my Allah".

    So even though we don't intend to, it seems that most of us have "Christianity" as part of our lives.

    The groups who came here in the 1600s came here for religious reasons. The Puritans couldn't observe their religion in England so they came here to be free. Of course that was an odd brand of Christianity and when they got here, they banned people from society for not observing their views, which is the same thing that happened to them in England, causing them to come here.

    I think probably the founding Fathers assumed Christianity would be the prevailing religion in the USA not having much if any exposure to Hinduism and Muslim and other religions, but they probably didn't assume it would be exclusive.

    So while that was all a non-answer, I'd say no, we're probably more a melting pot of religions, but yes, Christian and all its strains is the prominent one so if you base it on pure population alone, we would be a Christian nation. If you base on it the way it should be governed, then no, it shouldn't be considered a Christian nation.
    Good post.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  6. #46
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Our modern culture and the laws in this country that contradict so many of the teachings in the bible suggest that this country is hardly Christian as a nation. If you are simply referring to people who claim to be christian are large in population then sure, but that doesn't define a nation.
    You claimed that Uganda was a Christian nation because a majority of its populace was Christian and its leadership cited their Christian beliefs in making and defending policy.

    I pointed out to you that a majority of the population of the United States is Christian, and that our leadership cites their Christian beliefs in making and defending policy, yet for this one you don't want to accept the results of your own test.

    You can choose both or neither - if you wish to chuck Uganda overboard as not a Christian nation, that is fine, then at least you are being consistent. But there is only one string that is consistent with your flip-flopping claims thus far and that is that you wish to paint Christianity in as dark a light as possible. Until you choose to be consistent with the application of your definitions, that will be the only continuous position you have taken.

  7. #47
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Yes, I think the way the majority of Americans live their lives reflects that they do their very best to live by Biblical teachings. But you have to leave the ghetto to see that.
    Wow really -
    *With on a national level
    -promiscuity on the rise
    -Rising divorce rates
    -Liberated homosexuals and tolerance to them
    -half naked celebrities on every channel in every movie
    - sex on everyone's mind

    all of that is American - and that some how equals "Christian Nation". ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  8. #48
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't believe in God, but I say "Oh my God" at least 2 times per day. I don't say "Oh my Allah".
    Yeah, but you also don't speak a Semitic language (I assume). God is Allah is Yahweh.

  9. #49
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Wow really -
    *With on a national level
    -promiscuity on the rise
    -Rising divorce rates
    -Liberated homosexuals and tolerance to them
    -half naked celebrities on every channel in every movie
    - sex on everyone's mind

    all of that is American - and that some how equals "Christian Nation". ok.
    Hm. What makes you think that "Christian" means "doesn't sin"? The fact that we recognize that we sin is one of Christianity's first principles.

    Worth noting, perhaps, fewer teens are having sex, divorce rates are falling, having sex on the mind isn't necessarily a bad thing, and loving homosexuals is a pretty Christian thing to do. But I get where you were headed.
    Last edited by cpwill; 06-19-14 at 08:54 PM.

  10. #50
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    You claimed that Uganda was a Christian nation because a majority of its populace was Christian and its leadership cited their Christian beliefs in making and defending policy.
    No i Didn't actually. I said Uganda was a christian nation because it populace is predominately christian and it government creates laws that reflect christian values - God's will. The nation has shown increasing interest in becoming a theocracy- along with their anti gay law was a slue of other laws regarding social standards, infidelity, and clothing all, unabashedly, related to Christian beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •