View Poll Results: Is America a Christian Nation?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 25.45%
  • No

    82 74.55%
Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 548

Thread: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

  1. #381
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Touche. I did start of with a firm confident statement declaring my stance.
    Though I personally stand by my argument, as a result of this thread I also now believe that my stance may be subjective. The criteria of what makes a nation is apparently different for different people.
    Then it was not realizing that growth in your original stance that lead to much of my responses; as I was responding to you from a notion that you were still trying to argue that any such claim was "not legitimate".

    One of the reasons I enjoy responding to interesting points that make me examine either my own, or someone else's, logic is it actually sometimes causes me to realize or hit upon things I had not really seen before. Yours did that actually with touching on the notion of White Privledge, and how that logic lends itself to an argument of the U.S. potentially being a Christian Nation.

    White Privlege basically suggests that the very essence of being "white" is in and of itself a privledge due to the way society works. That when a person is being described that it's assumed they're white, unless said otherwise. That those we see in various forms of media by and large are white by default unless an effort to "diversify" is actively made. That due to the institutionalized barriers to other races over the years, on average a white individiual is better off from day one than a minority individual is likely to be in terms of wealth, location, educational oppertunities, and on and on. That essentially without any actual purposeful action or even intent, so much of it is ingrained as default in our culture that it provides a "privledge".

    The same kind of logic in sorts could go to the notion of a "Christian Nation". You bring up the religious holidays that have no basically become "secular", celebrated by people across all stripes. But that could be argued that regardless of how they may be celebrated now or their loss of religious meanings, the fact that said religions "holidays" are still essentially viewed as the "default" and are widely celebrated, even outside of that religion, is a point in that religions favor. That essentially the spread of christian holidays to non-christians, even with the loss of the christian meanings, is actually an instance of christianity infiltrating the society and culture at an even greater mark. You look at what you did in regards to me, and the assumption that I'm christian. It's the default in this country by and large. Unless you're told someone is athiests or jewish or muslim the assumption typically is that they're christian. You hear the media talk about the potential "issues" someone may have due to being islamic and running for office, or even some of the "christian" sects that aren't viewed as christian like Mormonism (and all the talk surrounding Romney with that). Yet rarely do we hear talk about how a politicials religion will hurt them if that religion is "Christian". While it's intensity of its impact, and specifically it's religious impact, may be less significant it could be argued that the spread of said impact is just as large as it's ever been.

    It's still a slowly forming thought in my mind, and given that I don't buy the white privledge logic to the degree that some do I don't know if it's an argument I ultimately would subscribe to myself, but coming at it from a devil's advocate stand point it's beginning to form an interesting platform of an argument in my head.

  2. #382
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You.....you're not actually reading my posts right? That's the only thing that could explain your past two non-sensical responses.

    I'm not suggesting that somehow a "Christian Nation" equals a "Progressive Nation" or vise versa. I'm suggesting that using the logic one would TRY to use to claim that it's impossible to legitimately make a claim that the USA is a "Christian Nation", it would ALSO be impossible to claim that it's a "Progressive Nation".
    Your first post used the words "other nations" so forgive me for replying on that basis.

    I don't see the connection between the arguments "Christian nation" and "progressive nation." One set of arguments is based on data - we are statistically majority Christian - and the other is simple opinion. The only thing that made sense in your reply to Zinth was that some make the case that Christians are immune to persecution and yet it's not a Christian-centric country. Yeah, some atheists are like that, but it's generally different people making those claims.

    But then again, you said that because it's the most prevalent religion and 'culturally ingrained', it's reasonable to call this a Christian nation, then asserted that a theocracy would be irrelevant in defining this a Christian nation. How else would this become a theocracy except for the vast majority to approve? Basically, we're not Christian-centric enough for it to fully reach that point, and it's a damn good thing. Yet we're Christian-centric enough for Christians to be immune from persecution in the way that atheists frequently are not.

    Yes, as you point out, laws are often passed because some ignoramus in office, with the majority's approval, decides to impose his beliefs on the minority. You could reasonably argue, i think, that Mississippi is a Christian state, a de facto theocracy, on the grounds that happens all the time. Or there are Christian counties, towns and so on. But to declare this a Christian nation, there's no basis for that.

  3. #383
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,697

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    An eyewitness report? What, did he resurrect too?
    Had you bothered to watch the video you would have known the answer to that question.

    Here, try again.

    23 Minutes in Hell

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhhEvfSaSA
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  4. #384
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,697

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Really? Brazil has a huge statue of Jesus presiding over its major city. Latin America in general would qualify i think, and missionaries are always trying to turn Africa into Christian dominated territories that, among other things, pass laws to kill homosexuals.
    Show me a 'Christian missionary who teaches that it's ok to kill homosexuals? What's his name and background? Because that's not taught in the New Testament I read.
    "Progressives aren't really progressive. They're regressive, all the way back to Sodom and Gomorrah." - author unknown

  5. #385
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Your first post used the words "other nations" so forgive me for replying on that basis.
    Gotcha. Your issue was that you didn't actually read my first post, but rather started on a post in a line of posts.

    When I was speaking of "Nations" within the United States I'm speaking from the manner I noted in my first post....where "nation", plainly speaking, is speaking of a group of people within a location with a similar tie that binds them. One STATE (such as the State of Brazil or the State of Canada or the State of the USA) can have MULTIPLE nations within it potentially.

    I don't see the connection between the arguments "Christian nation" and "progressive nation."
    My issue was that the various methods that Zinn disqualified the notion of the USA being a "Christian Nation" would by and large disqualify it from being a Progressive Nation.

    But then again, you said that because it's the most prevalent religion and 'culturally ingrained', it's reasonable to call this a Christian nation, then asserted that a theocracy would be irrelevant in defining this a Christian nation.
    Yes, I've claimed that it's REASONABLE (not that I'd necessarily agree) to suggest that the United States is a "Christian Nation" in the common vernacular and in a political science sense based on the substantial majority of the population subscribing to said religion. I don't particularly agree, but it's reasonable. And yes...while the presence of a theocracy could strengthen the argument for a "Christian Nation", a theocracy isn't required for a "Christian Nation" to exist.

    I'm going to relink to my first post in this thread, as I imagine that's may clear up some of the confusion. LINK

  6. #386
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    You can use the term nation to define any government regulated land of a group of people. How you define that nation is more than just Majority wins. Israel has an official religion. It enforces laws and a culture that is centered around that. That's the distinction.

    Religion in Israel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Not according to you guys. A majority does not represent the whole. A government, just like me, can't just arbitrarily define the whole of the people living in its territory as one thing when there are distinct differences in that group. Sorry... can't have it both ways. The term "Nation" has a definition and only intellectual cowards would try to twist it like you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #387
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I disagree, and it isn't a fact. If the nation is the people than this can't be a Christian nation not all the people are Christian. All you can say is that it is a majority Christian nation.
    That is what I have said... but one step further. That the majority represents more of what the nation represents than some minorities thereby, for definition purposes and general knowledge, defines the USA as a Christian Nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #388
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    I'm in the "no" camp.

    There is no question that Christianity is an important part of US history. But since we cannot have an official state religion, it's not a "Christian nation," in the same way that Islam is the official religion of Saudi Arabia.
    But Islam does not represent the whole. There are Christians living in almost every Muslim nation. What a few government officials have to say is as irrelevant as what I have to say about the matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #389
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Not according to you guys. A majority does not represent the whole.
    Yeah it doesn't.
    A government, just like me, can't just arbitrarily define the whole of the people living in its territory as one thing when there are distinct differences in that group.
    That may be true. But when a country has a majority that is also compounded by a government that makes that majorities beliefs law - and thus the standards of those beliefs are enforced across the country then yes the government has effectively defined that nation by enforcing those beliefs and regulating the culture by virtue of those beliefs. America only has a majority of christains, but our goverment has moved away from enforcing christain beliefs or enforcing christian standards in our culture. As a result our culture has moved away from christain teachings.

    When the christians in our country complain about a lack of representation, feeling persecuted for their beliefs, or robbed of the right to excersise their beliefs I believe that is a tell tale sign that our country just may not be a Christain nation.

    When devout Christians on a reality tv show are kicked off their own show for expressing Christian beliefs after recieving societal backlash - I think it's safe to say that the country is not a Christian Nation.


    How many times do Christian celebrities or Politicians have to renig a comment they made honoring a scripture from the bible that also just so happened to piss of a group of people? Why would would these things happen in a Christian Nation?

    Sorry... can't have it both ways.
    Too bad I never said I wanted it both ways.
    The term "Nation" has a definition and only intellectual cowards would try to twist it like you are.
    Yes, you've described your self perfectly.
    Last edited by Zinthaniel; 06-23-14 at 07:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  10. #390
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That is what I have said... but one step further. That the majority represents more of what the nation represents than some minorities thereby, for definition purposes and general knowledge, defines the USA as a Christian Nation.
    No it doesn't, where did you come up with that method to define it?
    It's okay to be white

Page 39 of 55 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •