View Poll Results: Is America a Christian Nation?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 25.45%
  • No

    82 74.55%
Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 548

Thread: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

  1. #371
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Perhaps my perceptions is shaped by the fact that I grew up in los Angeles all my life. I'm not sure then... what kind of nation are we?
    300 million people spanning 4 million square miles, it's too vast for me to come up with a simple answer to that. There are 700 resident white trash towns and huge modern cities and everything in between. However, i'm not sure that most americans are grateful for this melting pot so much as just tolerate it (and not even that, when you consider "show me your papers" laws like arizona's).

    I just know we're not a "Christian nation" in the conventional sense or every other belief and nonbelief system would be violently forced underground.

  2. #372
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    When one uses the various arguments to abjectly disqualify describing the nation of people existing within the United States as a "Christian Nation", there are few other "Nations" one could likely point out in any kind of reasonable fashion.
    Really? Brazil has a huge statue of Jesus presiding over its major city. Latin America in general would qualify i think, and missionaries are always trying to turn Africa into Christian dominated territories that, among other things, pass laws to kill homosexuals.

    It's impossible to imagine the US - with its founders' wisdom to separate religion from state and the court system as protection - allowing that kind of oppression.

  3. #373
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I would also think you're ABSOLUTELY wrong and simply projecting if you're calling the U.S. a "Progressive" nature...capital P....if you're refusing to acknowledge that it's reasonable to suggest it may be a Christian Nation.
    Wow talk about projecting. Your bias is really showing if you think that being a Christian nation is somehow progressive. The Inquisition and Crusades were centuries ago and there are a billion Christians all over the world. It certainly would be nothing new or unique.

  4. #374
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    yes there are many artifacts of when our nation was once a Christian nation. Long established traditions that started there. But, and you are not the first to bring up those traditions, those things no longer reflect their origin. Much like our holidays Christmas, Halloween, Easter all of which, which I admit I was corrected on, stem from Christianity, but they are in no way a reflection of their true intention any more.
    The vast majority, if we are going ot be honest here, are not eagerly awaiting Jesus's birthday they are eagerly awaiting their new Xbox, car, golf clubs. They are eagerly awaiting a bag of candy or chocolate bunnies. Sure those things have roots in Christianity, but they are hardly Christian anymore - that's why everyone celebrates them even atheist.

    I don't work on Sundays - but I don't go to church just because I'm off, like one is supposed, honor god. The vast majority do things entirely unrelated to Christ, even Christians.
    Yeah, similarly i like to joke that with the day off on Memorial Day "it's about time the military is good for something." Of course i don't mean it but it's to acknowledge that most don't give a damn anymore. We haven't had a 'war of necessity' in almost anyone's lifetime and the military today is way too huge and mostly an enormous waste of government spending.

    But yeah, as an atheist, yay for Christmas! New Xbox and a day off. Finally Jesus is good for something

  5. #375
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    One is suggesting ones opinion is fact and belittling the worth of anyones argument who suggests otherwise as being utterly illegitimate.
    I never insisted my opinion is fact. Not once Your whole tone sounds offended. I find it hilarious that you are on my ass for apparently taking a stance that you believe no one can take on this issue, one of objectivity. and yet you haven't said anything to the user Bod who is doing the exact same thing, and he/she actually does believe his opinon is fact - stated so in two posts.

    A "nation" is the people that live within an area controlled by a government... we are a Christian Nation. Just a fact. I am an atheist and I accept this fact. No biggy.
    But Bod is arguing in favor of Christianity - so yeah you targeting me does seem a tad biased, especially since I never claimed my stance is fact. I stand by my stance, but I have also pointed out in a previous post that this thread shows that a nation is subjectively defined. Because everyone here has opposing views on how to define this nation, .
    Last edited by Zinthaniel; 06-23-14 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  6. #376
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,390

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    I'm unclear what are the characteristics of a Christian nation, so I don't know how to vote.

  7. #377
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Really? Brazil has a huge statue of Jesus presiding over its major city. Latin America in general would qualify i think, and missionaries are always trying to turn Africa into Christian dominated territories that, among other things, pass laws to kill homosexuals.
    What do any of those have to do with other "nations" existing within the United States, which is what I was talking about. I wasn't talking about nations in other foreign states that could be considered christian.

    It's impossible to imagine the US - with its founders' wisdom to separate religion from state and the court system as protection - allowing that kind of oppression.
    Indeed, that's one of the great things about seperating the Nation within a State from the Government within said State.

  8. #378
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Wow talk about projecting. Your bias is really showing if you think that being a Christian nation is somehow progressive.
    You.....you're not actually reading my posts right? That's the only thing that could explain your past two non-sensical responses.

    I'm not suggesting that somehow a "Christian Nation" equals a "Progressive Nation" or vise versa. I'm suggesting that using the logic one would TRY to use to claim that it's impossible to legitimately make a claim that the USA is a "Christian Nation", it would ALSO be impossible to claim that it's a "Progressive Nation".

    It'd be like saying Gymanstics isn't a sport on the basis that it doesn't use a ball, and then turning around and claiming that Swimming is a sport.

  9. #379
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    and yet you haven't said anything to the user Bod who is doing the exact same thing, and he/she actually does believe his opinon is fact - stated so in two posts.
    First, the thread was multiple pages long when I started and I decided to comment on the OP and the debate point presented there.

    Second, your posts is the OP and held the initial questionable claim that has since spawned others. As such, I tend to focus on the discussion set forth by the OP, if I find it interesting, when I start into a thread as it is the impetus for all that comes after it.

    Third, I disagree with the claims of Bod and others asserting that this was a Christian Nation in my original post by suggesting I disagreed personally with suggesting it's a "Christian Nation" in the modern day. Those that disagreed with me on that point haven't continued a dialogue with me on my views and theirs; you have.

    Fourth, I see a difference between declaring what you think is fact and declaring what anyone else thinks as illigitimate. One is an overvaluing of oneself, but is inherently individual. The other is a belittling of everyone else who disagrees with you nad a dismissal. The later happened to catch my interesitng more so than the first.

    The little I've read of Bod's argument has largely been him claiming he thinks we're a christian nation, and then proceeding to claim it's a "fact". I disagree with him, and vocalized that disagreement in my original post and why I disagree with it. He's not put forth anything else of interest for me to write about.

    Your argument with regards to men/women DID interest me, because it was someone who claimed other peoples viewes were not "legitimate" putting forth a piece of logic that SEEMED like it could be contradictory. Thus my follow up question based on your interesting post, and then an on going dialogue between the two of us. Nothing Bodi has said has been of real interest or caused any provactive thought as it just seemed like standard, run of the mill chest pounding about the notion of "christian nation". The potential to engage in a discussion about the potential illogic of a persons argument, or to see if the person was actually rather consistent in their logic which would be rather respectable, was of interest. Thus the reason for my initial response to your "male/female" question.

    If over the course of this conversation you've changed from suggesting "There is no legitimate reason to refer to this Nation as Christian" to suggesting (paraphrased) "There is no legitimate reason to refer OBJECTIVELY to this Nation as Christian, becuase nations are subjective" then my apologizes for missing that how that transition of your original premise has occured and I'd agree...

    One can not say objectively that this is a "Chrisitan Nation"; in part because the definition of Nation that one could be using, and the criteria related to it, are largely subjective in nature. However, one CAN legitimately make a claim that this is a "Christian Nation" for much the same reason.

  10. #380
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If over the course of this conversation you've changed from suggesting "There is no legitimate reason to refer to this Nation as Christian" to suggesting (paraphrased) "There is no legitimate reason to refer OBJECTIVELY to this Nation as Christian, becuase nations are subjective" then my apologizes for missing that how that transition of your original premise has occured and I'd agree...
    Touche. I did start of with a firm confident statement declaring my stance.
    Though I personally stand by my argument, as a result of this thread I also now believe that my stance may be subjective. The criteria of what makes a nation is apparently different for different people.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •