View Poll Results: Is America a Christian Nation?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 25.45%
  • No

    82 74.55%
Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 548

Thread: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

  1. #361
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Nicaragua had a female president in its first ever election back in 1990, while the US media and public is always pondering if this country is ready for a female prez with Hillary running. Changing perhaps, progressive...not so much.
    In regards to culture, religion and people, I believe that most accurate description of our country - one that even stretches across our history, and unlike Christianity, still has a very strong influence in all levels of the US, is Multi Cultural. The Melting Pot Nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  2. #362
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    In regards to culture, religion and people, I believe that most accurate description of our country - one that even stretches across our history, and unlike Christianity, still has a very strong influence in all levels of the US, is Multi Cultural. The Melting Pot Nation.
    Not by design, that's for sure, at least aside from colleges and such. Just look at our crazy immigration policies and segregation. My hometown was 97% white. It's a good thing it ended up that at least various cultures are accessible in big cities however.

  3. #363
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Not by design, that's for sure, at least aside from colleges and such. Just look at our crazy immigration policies and segregation. My hometown was 97% white. It's a good thing it ended up that at least various cultures are accessible in big cities however.
    Perhaps my perceptions is shaped by the fact that I grew up in los Angeles all my life. I'm not sure then... what kind of nation are we?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  4. #364
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I'm not sure, if anything I'd say the third one. Simply because many of the values in our country are male centric, but that's changing. I believe our nation is a Progressive Nation or a Nation that is changing.
    The reason I ask is that based on your claims with regards to males, it'd absolutely be reasonable to suggest we're a Predominantly Christian-Centric Nation as well then if you'd go with the last one in terms of males.

    I would also think you're ABSOLUTELY wrong and simply projecting if you're calling the U.S. a "Progressive" nature...capital P....if you're refusing to acknowledge that it's reasonable to suggest it may be a Christian Nation.

  5. #365
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    In regards to culture, religion and people, I believe that most accurate description of our country - one that even stretches across our history, and unlike Christianity, still has a very strong influence in all levels of the US, is Multi Cultural. The Melting Pot Nation.
    The melting pot concept and multi-culturalism doesn't really synch up well, so using them back to back is kind of weird.

    The entire notion of the "melting pot" is that as you add individual things into the "melting pot" they all contribute their own unique flavor but overall it becomes one cohesive meal.

    The notion of "multi-culturalism" is just that, MULTIPLE cultures existing and surviving next to each other. That's the anti-thesis to the "melting pot" philosophy as it relates to cultural intigration into a country.

    The Melting Pot concepts suggests that individuals from disparate cultures entering a joint society all add their own tastes to one unique, uniformed, joined culture. The Multicuturalism concept suggests that those individuals from disparate cultures entering a joint society all keep their own cultures seperate to any over arching culture of the society.

    To go with the food analogy that "Melting Pot" easily lends itself to....

    A Melting Pot dinner would be a bisque containing hints of ginger, cilantro, and oregano (incorporating flavors from asian, south america, and the mediterranian)

    A Multi-Cultural dinner would be Ginger Chicken along side some spaghetti and elote with crema.

  6. #366
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Perhaps my perceptions is shaped by the fact that I grew up in los Angeles all my life. I'm not sure then... what kind of nation are we?
    The only likely accurate assertion to what kind of "nation" exists within the United States of America is likely an "American" nation. A general identification with the Government and Country that nation exists within with some generalized shared cultural factors.

    When one uses the various arguments to abjectly disqualify describing the nation of people existing within the United States as a "Christian Nation", there are few other "Nations" one could likely point out in any kind of reasonable fashion.

  7. #367
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The reason I ask is that based on your claims with regards to males, it'd absolutely be reasonable to suggest we're a Predominantly Christian-Centric Nation as well then if you'd go with the last one in terms of males.

    I would also think you're ABSOLUTELY wrong and simply projecting if you're calling the U.S. a "Progressive" nature...capital P....if you're refusing to acknowledge that it's reasonable to suggest it may be a Christian Nation.

    No I disagree. I'm not seeing how you made that connection. I said that our nation could be male centric since our culture by in large in male centric. A lot of principals, standards, etc that run through our country are male centric - I don't believe the same can be said for Christianity in this modern day.

    I'm not qualifying a nation by only one thing - population or majority.

    I believe the culture here is removed from the teachings of Christ - are laws make it point to avoid being theocratic - if and when they do seem to be based on religious teaching there is a backlash, especially if that said law infringes on the rights of a group of people. Many old laws that are still around from when we where a Christian nation are being challenged.

    The Duck Dynasty controversy is one example of many that reflect Christianity's standing in our country currently. Now a days I hear many Christian complain about how they feel they are persecuted or attacked for their religious beliefs. Many feel like they are being pushed out the way. Those are not analogous with what sentiments you think you would find in a nation that could be Defined as Christian.


    If this nation was Christian it wouldn't simply be because of the majority it would it also be reflected in other areas - Like the law, our standards, and overall culture. It's not though, not any more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The only likely accurate assertion to what kind of "nation" exists within the United States of America is likely an "American" nation.
    So I can't say absolutely that this Nation is not Christian, but when asked directly you yourself will not define out country as Christian either.

    Look I'm not attacking Christianity, which I'm assuming is your religion, I just believe that it can be said objectively that our nation is not currently a Christian nation, and I doubt it will ever become a Christian nation again - judging by the current trend of things.
    Last edited by Zinthaniel; 06-23-14 at 12:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  8. #368
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    No I disagree. I'm not seeing how you made that connection. I said that our nation could be male centric since our culture by in large in male centric. A lot of principals, standards, etc that run through our country are male centric - I don't believe the same can be said for Christianity in this modern day.
    You pointed out how men still holds the majority of political power in this country; so too do Christians hold most of the political power as well. Look at the religion of most of our elected officials, and specifically those at the higher reaches of government. You pointed out how culture still objectifies women; well it still largely gives deference to christians as well. Look at the many businesses that still routinely open later, if at all, on Sunday's to account for church attendance. Look at how censors still generally view "god damn" as offensive but "damn" as not. Look at the prominence of the christian faith in various shared avenues of our culture, like sports. And while law can not be codified enforcing a particular religion, it is ridiculously laughable to suggest that many of the laws on our books weren't inspired by, or gained support from, individuals who were in part motivated by their religious convictions, morals, and beliefs.

    While I've not seen you do this one way or another, I've seen the same argument from others who who routinely criticize Christians for being offended when attacked by pointing to how influential and ingrained throughout society it is and thus they can't be persecuted. And it's laughable when they then turn around and act as if it's not ingrained throughout society as a means of discrediting an argument that one could suggest that America could be considered a Christian Nation...or at least as I'm suggesting here, based on your logic, Predominantly Christian-Centric.

    You keep going on and on about a theocracy; the form of government does not a nation make.

  9. #369
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You pointed out how men still holds the majority of political power in this country; so too do Christians hold most of the political power as well. Look at the religion of most of our elected officials, and specifically those at the higher reaches of government. You pointed out how culture still objectifies women; well it still largely gives deference to christians as well. Look at the many businesses that still routinely open later, if at all, on Sunday's to account for church attendance. Look at how censors still generally view "god damn" as offensive but "damn" as not. Look at the prominence of the christian faith in various shared avenues of our culture, like sports. And while law can not be codified enforcing a particular religion, it is ridiculously laughable to suggest that many of the laws on our books weren't inspired by, or gained support from, individuals who were in part motivated by their religious convictions, morals, and beliefs.

    While I've not seen you do this one way or another, I've seen the same argument from others who who routinely criticize Christians for being offended when attacked by pointing to how influential and ingrained throughout society it is and thus they can't be persecuted. And it's laughable when they then turn around and act as if it's not ingrained throughout society as a means of discrediting an argument that one could suggest that America could be considered a Christian Nation...or at least as I'm suggesting here, based on your logic, Predominantly Christian-Centric.

    You keep going on and on about a theocracy; the form of government does not a nation make.

    For you to jump through hoops to try and suggest it'd be reasonable to suggest this is a Male Centric Nation, or even more crazily a "Progressive" (Capital P, so speaking ideologically and not simply the generalized used of hte word), to suit your political agenda and yet to abjectly and wholey declare it impossible to even reasonable suggest that it could be considered a Christian Nation highlights the agenda driven, political motivated basis for your arguments here.
    yes there are many artifacts of when our nation was once a Christian nation. Long established traditions that started there. But, and you are not the first to bring up those traditions, those things no longer reflect their origin. Much like our holidays Christmas, Halloween, Easter all of which, which I admit I was corrected on, stem from Christianity, but they are in no way a reflection of their true intention any more.
    The vast majority, if we are going ot be honest here, are not eagerly awaiting Jesus's birthday they are eagerly awaiting their new Xbox, car, golf clubs. They are eagerly awaiting a bag of candy or chocolate bunnies. Sure those things have roots in Christianity, but they are hardly Christian anymore - that's why everyone celebrates them even atheist.

    I don't work on Sundays - but I don't go to church just because I'm off, like one is supposed, honor god. The vast majority do things entirely unrelated to Christ, even Christians.

    So yea though many Legislators are Christian, but those same legislators if and when they try to past laws that are purely religious based are often met with opposition by the people - no matter how accurate that law may be reflecting to word of God. No to mention that newer generations are becoming more secular -

    Study: Young Americans less religious than their parents - CNN.com

    Losing Our Religion: The Growth Of The 'Nones' : The Two-Way : NPR

    America is or is not a Christian Nation.-religion-gallup-none-jpg

    Also, again, with Christians by and large complaining about feeling poorly represented, attacked for their beliefs, and pushed aside - it doesn't fit for a nation that is supposedly Christian. It doesn't make since. why would any Christian feel that way if the USA could accurately be described as a Christian nation.
    Last edited by Zinthaniel; 06-23-14 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  10. #370
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    So I can't say absolutely that this Nation is not Christian, but when asked directly you yourself will not define out country as Christian either.
    Do you not see the difference between suggesting there is no legitimate reason to refer to the nation as a Christian one, and suggesting that I personally would not term it as so?

    Here, let me help you out.

    One is suggesting ones opinion is fact and belittling the worth of anyones argument who suggests otherwise as being utterly illegitimate.

    One is suggesting ones personal opinion is just that, opinion, and recognizes that depending on how one is defining the criteria for ones claim that a legitimate claim can be made either way.

    No, I would not personally define the people of the United States of America as a "christian nation" myself...but I absolutely think there are some reasonably legitimate reasons and arguments as to why someone would make such a claim.

    Look I'm not attacking Christianity, which I'm assuming is your religion
    Of course you would assume that. One, because it's the predominant religion within the country to the point that it's a defacto notion to assume people are that religion (this is a similar argument as to the claim that "white privledge" exists; do you happen to believe in that notion? Because if you do, that's yet another style of logic that one can go to make a legitimate argument that this could be a christian nation). Two, because of you're personal prejudices assuming anyone that could defend it in some fashion must be Christian.

    The closest to my religious views you could tie me to (I've posted them up in full in various places in the forum) would be an agnostic diest. I self identify as Christian, less due to any actual strict adherance to the religion and more in defence to the cultural notion of what I grew up as a part of.

    I just believe that it can be said objectively that our nation is not currently a Christian nation
    The "Nation" as it relates to the people of the United States of America can not "objectivelY" be claimed to be ANY sort of Nation other than perhaps an "American" nation.

    Everything else you've tossed out as possible "nations" are no more "objective" than the notio nof a "Christian Nation"...they're still entirely subjective in nature, based on the arbitrary criteria and measurements you've determined in your head.

    If your issue is with the notion of people calling the United States a "[blank] nation" when it's not objecitvely true, then your focus and bone to pick singularly on "Christian Nation" belies your seeming intent.

Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •