View Poll Results: Is America a Christian Nation?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 25.45%
  • No

    82 74.55%
Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 548

Thread: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

  1. #251
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    In ye olden days, being in a minority religion was a de facto recipe for being oppressed, and I think there are many Christians who feel that if that if their beliefs are not in the oppressing camp then they will through process of elimination be on the business end of that oppression. What they forget though is that the same constitution that protects me from any Christian-themed oppression also protects them from me dissolving them of their rights to practice their faith.

  2. #252
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    There is a world of difference between the admonition about Congress (and it only applied to Congress) making laws establishing religion and people imbued with Christian morality using that morality to argue for Christian type responses on public issues. Not sure that there is any real semantic difference in meaning between a Christian nation and a nation of Christians. It would be nice if only objective and "secular" responses to public issues were incorporated into public policy but that is not the case, nor can it be. As stated in Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (signed by the US and therefore part of US law):
    There is a big difference, a Christian nation would be a theocracy and a dictatorship. A nation that hs Christians in it can be a constitutional republic.
    It's okay to be white

  3. #253
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    No you said it was common sense, meaning its commonly held piece of information. the poll shows that is not the case. that is not an appeal to popularity, that is evidence that you are wrong in assuming that your stance is a commonly held conclusion.
    Well, it was nice talking to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #254
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    There is a big difference, a Christian nation would be a theocracy and a dictatorship. A nation that hs Christians in it can be a constitutional republic.
    A "nation" describes the people that live within a defined territory. The Cherokee Nation was anything but a theocracy... for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #255
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Did you ever hear of the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?

    I suggest that you read it.
    What part contradicts my argument and how does it contradict my argument. Actually, Freedom of Religion certainly does not since it is not at odds with the majority being Christian, in fact, it backs up my argument. People are free to practice any religion they like without fear of government involvement and the people have chosen mostly Christianity. The majority of Christians make the United States a Christian nation... thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #256
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    There is a big difference, a Christian nation would be a theocracy and a dictatorship. A nation that hs Christians in it can be a constitutional republic.
    Not sure about that. It could be like the UK, Denmark, or Finland. Or Thailand. All of which have state religions. None of those are theocracies or dictatorships. It would probably continue like now, with some Christians arguing for charity for the poor and the sick and measures against income inequality while other Christians emphasize other themes in the Bible.

    http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/rac...e_religion.pdf

  7. #257
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    If one needs to cite a god to be moral then that person is ignorant.
    You are entitled to your opinion...

    It also makes me wonder if it wasnt for the bible if Christians would be running around being immoral.
    Obviously there were morals but more importantly, why would you wonder that?

    I guess everyone that existed before the bible was written had no morals. And those damn godless non-christians are immoral heathens burn those assholes!
    Put down the Cool Aid and breathe...

    The claim that the US is a christian nation isnt a benign assertion that there is a large christian influence throughout American history. It is obvious that there is and has been a large christian populous and influence. By christian nation though the claim is that we virtually have or should have the christian religion in every aspect of our government. The assertion of this being a christian nation means that there wasnt any separation between church and state in the Constitution.
    People are getting their panties all twisted over nothing... a nation is nothing more than the people that live within a defined territory run by a government. The government part is irrelevant. All that IS RELEVANT is the people living within the defined territory. The people living in the USA are mostly Christian. I truly don't see what the problem is with that. It is a fact. I am an atheist and can easily accept this FACT.

    Christian deny the Constitutionality of the separation of church and state. They insist that was not what was meant by the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. Christians assert that the meaning was construed and the 1st Amendment really says that god and government are inseparable and it only stands to protect christians.
    Some Christians do... the ones you are referencing. I have never once heard a suggestion or argument that reflects this after having many theocratic and political discussions with some pretty hard core Christians, in fact.

    All in all christians are proving the point why there is a wall of separation between church and state, its to keep the fanatics from forcing religion on other people and to avoid what the framers of the Constitution ran from in England.
    Do you have some agenda here? Why do you insist on capitalizing England, the Constitution, the 1st Amendment, the United States.... but not Christians?

    ...and thanks for the history lesson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #258
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Chicago, Suburbs
    Last Seen
    06-27-14 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    307

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    This nation is called so due to the demographic of its FOUNDING (Puritans, refugees, etc). While it does not hold true today and is not today, when this nation was founded it was founded by Christians, but for everyone.

  9. #259
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Yet you won't admit its a female nation. If majority Christians makes the U.S. a christian nation, majority women makes the U.S. a female nation using the same logic. Funny how you don't seem to apply the same standards when you are the one being excluded.
    It isn't that funny... I don't see 51% compared to 49% being a majority in the sense of defining a nation. A simple majority is disingenuous to the spirit of the argument about what constitutes a "nation" but if it really bothers you that much I would concede that it is a female nation, a white nation... whatever just to satisfy your childish need to make a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #260
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterLiberty View Post
    This nation is called so due to the demographic of its FOUNDING (Puritans, refugees, etc). While it does not hold true today and is not today, when this nation was founded it was founded by Christians, but for everyone.
    Exactly... but what ended up populating the nation was a vast majority of Christians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •