View Poll Results: Is America a Christian Nation?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 25.45%
  • No

    82 74.55%
Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 548

Thread: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

  1. #241
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    America is not a "Christian nation", per se, but it was founded on Christian values (for the most part). We have since deviated greatly from said Christian values, though, so I don't think it's an apt comparison today.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Carolina del Norte
    Last Seen
    07-06-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    750
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    In the same way that Papua New Guinea is a Cargo Cult nation.

  3. #243
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    America is not a "Christian nation", per se, but it was founded on Christian values (for the most part). We have since deviated greatly from said Christian values, though, so I don't think it's an apt comparison today.
    And that's not necessarily a bad thing in all cases. I find some of them to be intrusive, judgmental and sometimes just plain jerks. I think it's surprising that some "religious" people assume they're going to "heaven." I guess it doesn't say anything in the Bible about not being an asshole though.

  4. #244
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And that's not necessarily a bad thing in all cases. I find some of them to be intrusive, judgmental and sometimes just plain jerks. I think it's surprising that some "religious" people assume they're going to "heaven." I guess it doesn't say anything in the Bible about not being an asshole though.
    I don't think the Bible says anything about nice people going to Heaven, though. Righteous people, yes. Maybe the criteria is harsher than we would like to think.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I don't think the Bible says anything about nice people going to Heaven, though. Righteous people, yes. Maybe the criteria is harsher than we would like to think.
    Right, heaven is full of assholes.

  6. #246
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I agree with you and I read your stance prior to making this topic in a different thread. I'm not arguing that this nation was never a Christian Nation, just that it currently is not.
    What is the definition of a "Christian Nation"? I dont think that everyone is in agreement to what "Christian Nation" means. So therefor a lot of people will be just talking past each other on their own assumptions.

    One definition is this: a "Christian nation," is a nation founded upon Christian and biblical principles, whose values, society, and institutions have largely been shaped by those principles.

    But there is a large problem with that definition. It takes more defining.

    Now we have to ask what is meant by "Nation"?

    When we speak of the USA as a nation we must take in account everyone. The founders of the US took great pains to make sure that they did not create a majority rule situation. They specifically said that there would be no religious tests. meaning basically that you dont need to belong to a certain faith to be a true American. Calling this a "Christian Nation" would be against such beliefs.

    What are "Christian and biblical principles"? Christians do not and have never owned the basic principles of society.

    Did those principles, values, morals and what not exist before Christians? What Christians believe about principles, values, morals isnt unique before or after the US was created. Christians think that they are the only good people on this planet the rest of us are evil heathens. They think that the only reason that our society isnt run amuck with savages is because of their bible. They run out and attempt to convert anyone that they deem under the spell of the great deceiver. Their bias is so think that they assert that only because of the bible that principles, values, morals exist. They sound like egotistical assholes to me.


  7. #247
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    It is nation of Christians. It isn't a Christian nation.

    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    There is a world of difference between the admonition about Congress (and it only applied to Congress) making laws establishing religion and people imbued with Christian morality using that morality to argue for Christian type responses on public issues. Not sure that there is any real semantic difference in meaning between a Christian nation and a nation of Christians. It would be nice if only objective and "secular" responses to public issues were incorporated into public policy but that is not the case, nor can it be. As stated in Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (signed by the US and therefore part of US law):
    •Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance

  8. #248
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I can find the occasional Christian who wants America to literally adopt biblical law.
    Sure. I find plenty of atheists who confuse freedom of religion with freedom from religion.

    Defining the discussion based on the outliers is why our country is so polarized.
    I'd agree with that, but you're probably an ally of the occupy wall street terrorists who want to target cops, so, I'd feel too dirty talking to you in order to do so.

  9. #249
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Right, heaven is full of assholes.
    Certainly it is full of people who started out that way. Jesus didn't come for the perfect, he came for the sinners.

  10. #250
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    A Special thread for Bodhisattva.

    The United States is not a Christian Nation. That is my stance.

    A nation is defined by it's government and it's people - not only by it's majority. To refer to it as A Christian Nation is to falsely represent many Americans.

    Our Country grants freedom for all religions and lack thereof. Grand Cathedrals, churches, Temples, Mosques, and Conventions for Non Believers can be found all over this country. All of which are given equal respect and right to exist.
    Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Our Government and thus our laws are entirely secular. There are a vast array of laws that directly contradict the teachings in the bible and thus God's will (i.e. laws regarding homosexuals, divorce, and other things considered blasphemous). Making the term "Christian Nation" ever more strange and obviously misplaced.

    There is no legitimate reason to refer to this Nation as Christian.
    The People are mostly Christian, the government is secular.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •