View Poll Results: Is America a Christian Nation?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 25.45%
  • No

    82 74.55%
Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 548

Thread: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

  1. #191
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,807

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    You did it again somehow. I think you need to take a little time and watch what you are doing as you are somehow changing the link structure while deleting what is the post. ANd quite honestly, I don't see that particular post as being long enough to warrant such a complete deletion due to length. I agree with your premise on the action, especially since I do it myself, but your application of the premise leaves me scratching my head.
    Get ready... he is about to tell you to get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #192
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,945

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Oh, please. I'm asking which deity might be possible.
    That question runs counter to the entire concept of agnosticism, by either definition I listed. Any and all are possible under such a belief system.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  3. #193
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    That question runs counter to the entire concept of agnosticism, by either definition I listed. Any and all are possible under such a belief system.
    All agnostics believe in the possibility of all deities? I don't think so.

  4. #194
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I say something is obvious and
    You say by the looks of it many disagree with you.

    That is the Appeal to Popularity.

    You are suggesting that an idea, my claim that something is obvious, is not true simply because it is widely held.

    This is pretty basic stuff... or are you going to get some others to disagree with that as well and indicate that because they disagree with my argument that this is basic stuff I am therefore wrong.

    Now I fully understand your inability to understand why America is a Christian Nation.
    No you said it was common sense, meaning its commonly held piece of information. the poll shows that is not the case. that is not an appeal to popularity, that is evidence that you are wrong in assuming that your stance is a commonly held conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  5. #195
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,945

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    All agnostics believe in the possibility of all deities? I don't think so.
    You twisted the words around. Because they don't hold to any one religion's description then all hold the potential to be the correct one, even those not yet thought up by man. Because of working with the unknown and unknowable, all the possibilities are, at the risk of sounding simplistic, possible. Just because all the possibilities are there doesn't mean that they are all simultaneously true. IOW, the agnostic might hold that there is indeed one singular deity but still leaves open the possibility that it is the Christian God, the Wiccan Goddess, Thor, Zeus, Jupiter, Ra or any number of other possibilities. Some agnostics hold that both the singular deity and the pantheon are equal possibilities.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  6. #196
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So what? That doesn't negate the fact that Christianity permeates most of American society. In fact, America was MORE Christian when that was written than it is now.
    Using that treaty as evidence only indicates that you don't understand your history, which is ironic.



    Did you ever hear of the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?

    I suggest that you read it.

  7. #197
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    how about we have no organizations petition Washington and only individuals.

    that is what the founders had in mind.
    I would agree 100% with that.. along with a cap on campaign contributions and that corporations are not people, people are people.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  8. #198
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    ...and even worshipping the idea that there is no god and that those that arrive at the morals from God are ignorant.
    If one needs to cite a god to be moral then that person is ignorant. It also makes me wonder if it wasnt for the bible if Christians would be running around being immoral. I guess everyone that existed before the bible was written had no morals. And those damn godless non-christians are immoral heathens burn those assholes!


    The claim that the US is a christian nation isnt a benign assertion that there is a large christian influence throughout American history. It is obvious that there is and has been a large christian populous and influence. By christian nation though the claim is that we virtually have or should have the christian religion in every aspect of our government. The assertion of this being a christian nation means that there wasnt any separation between church and state in the Constitution.

    Christian deny the Constitutionality of the separation of church and state. They insist that was not what was meant by the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. Christians assert that the meaning was construed and the 1st Amendment really says that god and government are inseparable and it only stands to protect christians.

    America Acknowledges God

    Separation of Church and State in America

    Frequently Asked Questions - Religion | First Amendment Center

    All in all christians are proving the point why there is a wall of separation between church and state, its to keep the fanatics from forcing religion on other people and to avoid what the framers of the Constitution ran from in England.

  9. #199
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    You twisted the words around.
    Does an agnostic consider the possibility of Zeus and Jesus or Allah to be equal? Surely an agnostic has a deity or deities in mind when granting the possibility.

  10. #200
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Does an agnostic consider the possibility of Zeus and Jesus or Allah to be equal? Surely an agnostic has a deity or deities in mind when granting the possibility.
    why do you assume that an agnostic has to make some sort of
    ambivalent affiliation with an already existing diety?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •