View Poll Results: Is America a Christian Nation?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 25.45%
  • No

    82 74.55%
Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 548

Thread: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

  1. #181
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What I wonder is: Why delete it in the first place?

    I think he is the first to do this in the history of DP, from my recollection.
    No I've done it too. Now in my case what I will usually do is leave up the first line or two and then add in "<snip>" to show that I am quoting the entire thread, but not bothering to show it all because it was too long overall. So I am a little more obvious about what I am doing, but it is pretty much the same thing that Zin just said that he does.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  2. #182
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What deity represents your faith?
    He could be an Agnostic....
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  3. #183
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    ..
    I didn't make an appeal to popularity. I referenced the poll because you claim that your stance is the obvious conclusion. if that were the case then the poll should be in your favor this is in regards to your assumption that your stance is obvious, not your argument as a whole, or that it's common sense. It's not a common conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  4. #184
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    He could be an Agnostic....
    Do they vary on possible deities?

  5. #185
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,945
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Yep! : But I think with us, it's our t*** in the wringer till June!

    Good night, Pero. See you tomorrow.
    Okay, that got me a belly laugh, now I will have a hard time going to sleep. Take care and until tomorrow.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    No I've done it too. Now in my case what I will usually do is leave up the first line or two and then add in "<snip>" to show that I am quoting the entire thread, but not bothering to show it all because it was too long overall. So I am a little more obvious about what I am doing, but it is pretty much the same thing that Zin just said that he does.
    I have done that as well... but at least we have left a part for context. If I come back from this weekend and see your snipped quote and his quote with three dots in it I will remember your quote and have no idea what the hell he is referencing. That is the point, right? The context?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #187
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Do they vary on possible deities?
    Atheism is more absolute.

    Agnostism is more ambivalent
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  8. #188
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I didn't make an appeal to popularity. I referenced the poll because you claim that your stance is the obvious conclusion. if that were the case then the poll should be in your favor this is in regards to your assumption that your stance is obvious, not your argument as a whole, or that it's common sense. It's not a common conclusion.
    You did it again somehow. I think you need to take a little time and watch what you are doing as you are somehow changing the link structure while deleting what is the post. ANd quite honestly, I don't see that particular post as being long enough to warrant such a complete deletion due to length. I agree with your premise on the action, especially since I do it myself, but your application of the premise leaves me scratching my head.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Do they vary on possible deities?
    You honestly don't know what an Agnostic is? Here is one definition:

    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
    Agnosticism is the view that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, as well as other religious and metaphysical claims—are unknown or unknowable.[1][2][3] According to the philosopher William L. Rowe, in the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, whereas a theist and an atheist believe and disbelieve, respectively.[2]
    I've always heard it as more of they believe in some kind of higher power, but they are not accepting any given religion's claim as to what exactly that higher power is.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  9. #189
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Atheism is more absolute.

    Agnostism is more ambivalent
    Atheism is the denial of a deity, agnosticism is So, is there a particular deity you find feasible?


    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    You honestly don't know what an Agnostic is?
    Oh, please. I'm asking which deity(s) might be possible.

  10. #190
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: America is or is not a Christian Nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I didn't make an appeal to popularity. I referenced the poll because you claim that your stance is the obvious conclusion. if that were the case then the poll should be in your favor this is in regards to your assumption that your stance is obvious, not your argument as a whole, or that it's common sense. It's not a common conclusion.
    I say something is obvious and
    You say by the looks of it many disagree with you.

    That is the Appeal to Popularity.

    You are suggesting that an idea, my claim that something is obvious, is not true simply because it is widely held.

    This is pretty basic stuff... or are you going to get some others to disagree with that as well and indicate that because they disagree with my argument that this is basic stuff I am therefore wrong.

    Now I fully understand your inability to understand why America is a Christian Nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •