View Poll Results: Who is the party of Freedom?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Democrats

    5 11.36%
  • Republicans

    9 20.45%
  • The Free Bacon Party

    13 29.55%
  • Rutabaga

    17 38.64%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 123

Thread: Who is the Party of freedom?

  1. #41
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,238

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Back when I used to spend a lot of time in E. Europe, I loved how the Czechs formed new parties with their new freedom. One party was the Erotic party, they made their money by publishing a tabloid every week or so, which was basically nude pictures. The other was the Beer party. Never, ever come between a Czech and his pivo.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  2. #42
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I mostly feel this way as well but the reason I am not Libertarian is I usually feel the rights of the people extend further than Libertarians do. Another difference I have is I believe that certain things should be gauranteed to people, ie not starving and basic healthcare.
    If I had to chhose, I would rather live in a Libertarian state than a Republican state though.
    the problem with the bold is...government does not have food or healthcare.

    those things are created by people.....to give a person a material good or service means government must take from one and give to another, and that is stealing.

    it violates Americas founding principles...life liberty and the [ pursuit of happiness.]...which means property.

  3. #43
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    After the warning, I couldn't reply in thread. But I did think the topic deserved it's own:


    Of course the only people I've heard say that are hardcore Dems. Just like hard core Repubs will say the Republicans are (cue Nick denying that he's a Republican even though he never says anything but their party line).

    Who is it, then?
    Although tempted to vote republican, I just couldn't do it. Plenty, but not all republicans promote freedom. BTW, I'm not sure libertarians are 100% good either, A myopic view of what freedom entails can be a little short sighted, but for what it's worth libertarians are better than the other two big parties. I didn't vote because no choice seemed appropriate.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  4. #44
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the problem with the bold is...government does not have food or healthcare.

    those things are created by people.....to give a person a material good or service means government must take from one and give to another, and that is stealing.

    it violates Americas founding principles...life liberty and the [ pursuit of happiness.]...which means property.
    I understand my view on that is different than the Libertarian view. I see the pursuit of happiness as covering not starving and being healthy. We all get to vote according to our beliefs.

  5. #45
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Although tempted to vote republican, I just couldn't do it. Plenty, but not all republicans promote freedom. BTW, I'm not sure libertarians are 100% good either, A myopic view of what freedom entails can be a little short sighted, but for what it's worth libertarians are better than the other two big parties. I didn't vote because no choice seemed appropriate.
    I guess I wish I had experienced the same thing you did with Republicans. I didnt experience Freedom around Republicans.

  6. #46
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the problem with the bold is...government does not have food or healthcare.

    those things are created by people.....to give a person a material good or service means government must take from one and give to another, and that is stealing.

    it violates Americas founding principles...life liberty and the [ pursuit of happiness.]...which means property.
    I always enjoy reading your posts and almost always agree to a great extent with your views, however, I do not think "pursuit of happiness" means "property". Property may somehow subsist in the concept, but is not an equivalent.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  7. #47
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I guess I wish I had experienced the same thing you did with Republicans. I didnt experience Freedom around Republicans.
    I'm curios. How did you feel shackled by a republican? Was it a personal conflict? Was it a policy? What happened?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  8. #48
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I understand my view on that is different than the Libertarian view. I see the pursuit of happiness as covering not starving and being healthy. We all get to vote according to our beliefs.
    life liberty and property, is mentioned twice in the constitution.

    everything about you is property,...your body, words, ideas, the things you create, the things you acquire from your labor.

    what do you mean we get to vote....please explain.

  9. #49
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    I always enjoy reading your posts and almost always agree to a great extent with your views, however, I do not think "pursuit of happiness" means "property". Property may somehow subsist in the concept, but is not an equivalent.
    life, liberty, and property is listed in the 5th and 14th amendments.

    government is instituted for the purpose to protect them.

  10. #50
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Who is the Party of freedom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    I mostly feel this way as well but the reason I am not Libertarian is I usually feel the rights of the people extend further than Libertarians do. Another difference I have is I believe that certain things should be gauranteed to people, ie not starving and basic healthcare.

    If I had to chhose, I would rather live in a Libertarian state than a Republican state though.
    You may be a bit confused here. A mainstream republican is more likely to vote for policies that provide for food assistance and healthcare assistance than a libertarian. With out question the libertarian is more in the individualist camp, however both libertarians and republicans are strong advocates for private charitable giving.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •