View Poll Results: Was the Iraq War Worth it?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 6.90%
  • No

    72 82.76%
  • Other

    9 10.34%
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 272

Thread: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    I still disagree with the decision to invade Iraq. The primary reason "we" chose to invade Iraq was because the previous administration believed they were in possession of nuclear weapons. The facts show that they were not in possession of nuclear weapons, but even without hindsight on the issue, there was no proof of nuclear weapon possession, so we never should've invaded. Invading nations and allowing lives to be lost on little to no evidence, which was essentially all the Bush administration had, is never good policy.
    I don't believe that the Bushies really believed that Iraq had nukes. Read their statements about WMDs carefully and you can see the artfully crafted wording of their claims, just like the wording a skilled liar and/or lawyer would use.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Hindsight should be used to avoid repeating past mistakes.


    Baghdad before the US invasion, looks pretty civilized to me.


    Baghdad after the US invasion

    Whose the barbarian(s)?

    "And once we'd ......gotten rid of Saddam Hussein and his government, then we'd have had to put another government in its place. What kind of government? Should it be a Sunni government or Shi'i government or a Kurdish government or Ba'athist regime? Or maybe we want to bring in some of the Islamic fundamentalists? How long would we have had to stay in Baghdad to keep that government in place? What would happen to the government once U.S. forces withdrew? How many casualties should the United States accept in that effort to try to create clarity and stability in a situation that is inherently unstable? I think it is vitally important for a President to know when to use military force. I think it is also very important for him to know when not to commit U.S. military force. And it's my view that the President got it right both times, that it would have been a mistake for us to get bogged down in the quagmire inside Iraq."
    Dick Cheney 1991
    If that isn't the same street then your point sin't really that strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #53
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I don't believe that the Bushies really believed that Iraq had nukes. Read their statements about WMDs carefully and you can see the artfully crafted wording of their claims, just like the wording a skilled liar and/or lawyer would use.
    Well, it goes without saying that most of the time, they were lying through their teeth. Both were tools of the military industrial complex, so although WMD possession of the evidence presented for invasion, it carried little weight.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Perhaps you missed it, but my sources are Time, Huffington Post, and New York Times. The info comes from Iraqi Officials who confirmed the SOFA deal.



    Also, Fareed was quote a high-ranking Iraqi politician.

    What you have to decide, MMC, is where your loyalties lie. Is it to being anti-Obama, or being pro-Neocon? Because you're certainly not being pro-fact, or pro-military with your nonsense propaganda.

    I am glad you mentioned the NY times and that Small World they tend to bloviate around. Try again Amadeus. All I need be is Anti Terrorist. While you're looking to decide which side of the NEW Divide to land on. You do know who Peter Baker is for the NY Times.....Tell Fareed to take Notes!!!!!


    Obama Finds He Can’t Put Iraq War Behind Him

    The possible return to Iraq, even in limited form, underscores just how much that forlorn land has shaped Mr. Obama’s presidency. It defined his first campaign for the White House, when his opposition to the war powered his candidacy. It defined his foreign policy as he resolved to pull out of Iraq and keep out of places like Syria. And it defined the legacy he hoped to leave as he imagined history books remembering him for ending America’s overseas wars. Yet as much as he wanted Iraq in the rearview mirror, the swift march toward Baghdad by Islamist extremists calling themselves the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, has forced him to reconsider his approach. As much as he wanted to leave the fate of Iraq to the Iraqis themselves, he concluded that the United States still has a stake in avoiding the collapse of a state it occupied for more than eight years at the cost of nearly 4,500 American lives.

    Yet as much as he wanted Iraq in the rearview mirror, the swift march toward Baghdad by Islamist extremists calling themselves the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, has forced him to reconsider his approach. As much as he wanted to leave the fate of Iraq to the Iraqis themselves, he concluded that the United States still has a stake in avoiding the collapse of a state it occupied for more than eight years at the cost of nearly 4,500 American lives.

    Stepping back, he cited the United States’ own tortured history in Iraq and the desire not to let American efforts there go to waste. “We have enormous interests there,” he added, “and obviously our troops and the American people and the American taxpayers made huge investments and sacrifices in order to give the Iraqis the opportunity to chart a better course, a better destiny.”......snip~

    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/14/wo...-him.html?_r=0

  5. #55
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    He is not wrong about the underlying seeds of chaos. They were there, obviously, or we wouldn't have what we have today.
    there is always a possibility for that - the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics has a political component. Saying that a nation has the possibility to descend into chaos is like saying it is made up of people.

  6. #56
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    What does that article have to do with the price of tea in China? We're talking about SOFA, and whether or not it was in Obama's control to pull out of Iraq. Despite your assertions to the contrary, it wasn't.

  7. #57
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    With the situation in Iraq unfolding do you believe that the Iraq War was worth it?
    It wasn't worth it even before the situation that is unfolding today.


  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    What does that article have to do with the price of tea in China? We're talking about SOFA, and whether or not it was in Obama's control to pull out of Iraq. Despite your assertions to the contrary, it wasn't.
    It talks about why BO's entire Policy was a problem......which includes the Sofa and also Showing you BO's Policy called for a Residual Force. As well as what else it exposed about BO and his SOFA for Afghanistan. You know ending the war there to......but locking us in for another decade. That which he criticized Bush for but has adopted the Same method and plan. Another not his own.


    Not only has the latest eruption in Iraq revived those criticisms, but it has also *exposed* the president’s plan for withdrawing from Afghanistan to further questions. Mr. Obama announced last month that he would end the combat mission there by the end of this year, leaving behind 9,800 troops, all of whom would leave by 2016.

    Representative Howard (Buck) McKeon of California, the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said the president needed a broader strategy for containing the threat in the region. “There are no quick-fix solutions to this crisis, and I will not support a one-shot strike that looks good for the cameras but has no enduring effect,” he said. He added that the president should consider firing his national security team.

    Liberal activists were more vehement. “For the last 12 years, Iraq has been Bush and Cheney’s war,” said Becky Bond, the political director for an activist group called Credo. “But if the president decides to double down on George W. Bush’s disastrous decision to invade Iraq by launching a new round of bombing strikes, Iraq will become Barack Obama’s war.”.....snip~

    Looks like the Tea you was using was Liptons.....came out of the Bag and didn't dissolve Right.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    [COLOR="#800000"]Obama.... concluded that the United States still has a stake in avoiding the collapse of a state it occupied for more than eight years at the cost of nearly 4,500 American lives.
    That was one of the reason used to justify dragging out the Viet Nam war-so that "all the lost US lives won't be wasted." That is a stupid reason, its like giving a con man more money so the money you gave him before won't be wasted. The lives are already wasted and nothing we do now will change that fact.

  10. #60
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,490
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Got rid of a secular leader who was an enemy of your enemies and a potential ally in the region.
    Good move, that.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •