View Poll Results: Was the Iraq War Worth it?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 6.90%
  • No

    72 82.76%
  • Other

    9 10.34%
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 272

Thread: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

  1. #41
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Afghan was the right conflict. Iraq was a disaster from start to finish. Watching Coiln Powell present 'the so called evidence' was absolutely pathetic.

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  2. #42
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I believe hindsight serves little purpose, hence the "20/20" that goes along with it.

    If one is to fantasize, it was foolish to think these people from the dark ages would want to be part of any form of civilized modern society in the first place.
    I passionately didn't think it was worth it beforehand, so I still get to say it wasn't worth it now

    I thought Bush was lying. I thought destabilizing Iraq was foolish. Pretty much I was right.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    LOL! The opinion of a neoconservative hack from 2007 carries little weight with me. You might as well have quoted Bill Kristol.
    Then why aren't you using Military Sources with real strategists and tacticians. That which the sheep uhm I mean Fareed types.....have to learn about and get permission to Speak on?

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I believe hindsight serves little purpose, hence the "20/20" that goes along with it.

    If one is to fantasize, it was foolish to think these people from the dark ages would want to be part of any form of civilized modern society in the first place.
    Hindsight should be used to avoid repeating past mistakes.


    Baghdad before the US invasion, looks pretty civilized to me.


    Baghdad after the US invasion

    Whose the barbarian(s)?

    "And once we'd ......gotten rid of Saddam Hussein and his government, then we'd have had to put another government in its place. What kind of government? Should it be a Sunni government or Shi'i government or a Kurdish government or Ba'athist regime? Or maybe we want to bring in some of the Islamic fundamentalists? How long would we have had to stay in Baghdad to keep that government in place? What would happen to the government once U.S. forces withdrew? How many casualties should the United States accept in that effort to try to create clarity and stability in a situation that is inherently unstable? I think it is vitally important for a President to know when to use military force. I think it is also very important for him to know when not to commit U.S. military force. And it's my view that the President got it right both times, that it would have been a mistake for us to get bogged down in the quagmire inside Iraq."
    Dick Cheney 1991
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 06-18-14 at 08:45 PM.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Sorry, I have to rub this in MMC's face a little more...

    Kagan works for the American Enterprise Institute, which is a essentially a re-branding of the Project For a New American Century. These are the last guys you should listen to on anything concerning Iraq. I would rather get Foreign Policy advice from a random crack head.


    Well I have to rub it back in yours.....despite Kagans opinion.... and now for the good rub.....down in the good stuff.....face first!

    How does this change the very Fact of who BO got his Strategy from. That would be the CNAS plan. Care to try and get around that one Amadeaus?

  6. #46
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,123

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    There was never even temporary peace in Iraq following our invasion. Say what you will about his methods, but Saddam Hussein was the only thing keeping Iraq from total chaos and we opened the floodgates when we toppled his regime. His regime was a paradise in comparison with what we brought them.
    I was there and I saw it and you are wrong.

  7. #47
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    I still disagree with the decision to invade Iraq. The primary reason "we" chose to invade Iraq was because the previous administration believed they were in possession of nuclear weapons. The facts show that they were not in possession of nuclear weapons, but even without hindsight on the issue, there was no proof of nuclear weapon possession, so we never should've invaded. Invading nations and allowing lives to be lost on little to no evidence, which was essentially all the Bush administration had, is never good policy.

  8. #48
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Then why aren't you using Military Sources with real strategists and tacticians. That which the sheep uhm I mean Fareed types.....have to learn about and get permission to Speak on?
    Perhaps you missed it, but my sources are Time, Huffington Post, and New York Times. The info comes from Iraqi Officials who confirmed the SOFA deal.

    Through the summer, American officials continued to assume that the agreement would be amended, and Mr. Obama was willing to support a continued military presence. In June, diplomats and Iraqi officials said that Mr. Obama had told Mr. Maliki that he was prepared to leave up to 10,000 soldiers to continue training and equipping the Iraqi security forces. Mr. Maliki agreed, but said he needed time to line up political allies.

    [...]

    This month, American officials pressed the Iraqi leadership to meet again at President Talabani's compound to discuss the issue. This time the Americans asked them to take a stand on the question of immunity for troops, hoping to remove what had always been the most difficult hurdle. But they misread Iraqi politics and the Iraqi public. Still burdened by the traumas of this and previous wars, and having watched the revolutions sweeping their region, the Iraqis were unwilling to accept anything that infringed on their sovereignty. [The New York Times, 10/21/11]
    Also, Fareed was quote a high-ranking Iraqi politician.

    What you have to decide, MMC, is where your loyalties lie. Is it to being anti-Obama, or being pro-Neocon? Because you're certainly not being pro-fact, or pro-military with your nonsense propaganda.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Hindsight should be used to avoid repeating past mistakes.


    Baghdad before the US invasion, looks pretty civilized to me.


    Baghdad after the US invasion

    Whose the barbarian(s)?

    "And once we'd ......gotten rid of Saddam Hussein and his government, then we'd have had to put another government in its place. What kind of government? Should it be a Sunni government or Shi'i government or a Kurdish government or Ba'athist regime? Or maybe we want to bring in some of the Islamic fundamentalists? How long would we have had to stay in Baghdad to keep that government in place? What would happen to the government once U.S. forces withdrew? How many casualties should the United States accept in that effort to try to create clarity and stability in a situation that is inherently unstable? I think it is vitally important for a President to know when to use military force. I think it is also very important for him to know when not to commit U.S. military force. And it's my view that the President got it right both times, that it would have been a mistake for us to get bogged down in the quagmire inside Iraq."
    Dick Cheney 1991
    This should simply be repeated. Thank you for this post.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I was there and I saw it and you are wrong.
    He is not wrong about the underlying seeds of chaos. They were there, obviously, or we wouldn't have what we have today.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •