View Poll Results: Was the Iraq War Worth it?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 6.90%
  • No

    72 82.76%
  • Other

    9 10.34%
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 272

Thread: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

  1. #201
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I'm not sure that last sentence says what you intended it to say.
    Hans Blix at the time before we invaded Iraq stated that there is no proof Iraq has WMD's. Many other reports validated this. The Bush admin just listened to what they wanted to hear. In 2000 Condy and Powell both stated that Iraq was not a threat, and cannot build up an armed force.


    And yes, they were the facts that we had at the time.
    No. No we didnt.


  2. #202
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You keep saying those were the facts we had? I think you need to learn what the meaning of a fact is.

    Definition- fact

    : something that truly exists or happens : something that has actual existence

    : a true piece of information


    All we had was misinformation that was at best, guess work
    .



    That was good enough for the G.W. Bush mis-administration.

    Take a look at what's going on in Iraq right now and you'll see how that turned out.




    Mighty sad how much money and how many human lives were wasted in that hellhole.

  3. #203
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,734

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No. The facts presented were what we knew at the time. Some of which (for example, the usage of mobile production platforms) turned out to be incorrect. Some of that was the result of tainted reporting, and some of it was the result of a successful MILDEC campaign by Saddam to convince the world (well, the Iranians) that he still had a production and storage capacity. The assessments given were problematic because they were built in part off of tainted reporting streams (such as described), and were over zealous in their levels of confidence. Even today it is not possible to utilize just the data that was available in the winter of 2002 and come to the conclusion that Saddam had given up and destroyed his WMD program - all you can justify is reducing the confidence levels.
    WMDs were an excuse and the data presented in any way they chose. They had an agenda to be fulfilled and just found whatever they needed to get support.

    The US was not in any danger from SH or his WMDs. He had no intentions of attacking us (no matter what the blustering) and there was certainly no imminent threat.

    WMDs are not the reason we invaded Iraq, just an excuse, just like 'removing a murderous dictator' and 'to get those responsible for 911'....both of which were also used and discarded later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #204
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,541
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No they were reasons given to invade and occupy Iraq.



    Ok..


    Missing something. There was no thread of WMD's because they didnt exist!
    Of course they did. He used chemical weapons to kill his own people.

    The "support of terrorism" at the time was giving money to families whose son/daughter/mother/ or father was a suicide bomber.
    No, it wasn't just that.

    • Iraq shelters terrorist groups including the Mujahedin-e-Khalq Organization (MKO), which has used terrorist violence against Iran and in the 1970s was responsible for killing several U.S. military personnel and U.S. civilians.
    • Iraq shelters several prominent Palestinian terrorist organizations in Baghdad, including the Palestine Liberation Front (PLF), which is known for aerial attacks against Israel and is headed by Abu Abbas, who carried out the 1985 hijacking of the cruise ship Achille Lauro and murdered U.S. citizen Leon Klinghoffer.
    • Iraq shelters the Abu Nidal Organization, an international terrorist organization that has carried out terrorist attacks in twenty countries, killing or injuring almost 900 people. Targets have included the United States and several other Western nations. Each of these groups have offices in Baghdad and receive training, logistical assistance, and financial aid from the government of Iraq.
    • Former Iraqi military officers have described a highly secret terrorist training facility in Iraq known as Salman Pak, where both Iraqis and non-Iraqi Arabs receive training on hijacking planes and trains, planting explosives in cities, sabotage, and assassinations.
    Link

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  5. #205
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    WMDs were an excuse and the data presented in any way they chose. They had an agenda to be fulfilled and just found whatever they needed to get support.

    The US was not in any danger from SH or his WMDs. He had no intentions of attacking us (no matter what the blustering) and there was certainly no imminent threat.

    WMDs are not the reason we invaded Iraq, just an excuse, just like 'removing a murderous dictator' and 'to get those responsible for 911'....both of which were also used and discarded later.
    Our IC believed he had WMD, the Brits thought he had WMD, the UN thought he had WMD, the Russians thought he had WMD, even Saddam thought he had WMD. Everybody came to pretty much the same conclusion on that score - and it turned out he did, just much less than everyone (again, including Saddam) had thought, and we were wrong on ongoing production lines.

    Did the Bush Administration grab the intel that made it's case? Sure, but that was also the intel that was available. You can say his decision-making process was flawed, you can say that he was a non-critical consumer of intel, but there simply isn't a plausible case for an accusation of being misleading.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    "known endgame?" Really? We knew the outcome before we entered the wars? Hardly.
    There was known endgame. Surrender of the enemy state. Is that somehow surprising to you? There's no enemy state here though, no plan to get to the end, no end in sight. Just stupid peoe making stupid choices and killing thousands of Americans and spending trillions of dollars in the process. But terrorist supporters don't care about dead Americans.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #207
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Of course they did. He used chemical weapons to kill his own people.



    No, it wasn't just that.

    • Iraq shelters terrorist groups including the Mujahedin-e-Khalq Organization (MKO), which has used terrorist violence against Iran and in the 1970s was responsible for killing several U.S. military personnel and U.S. civilians.
    • Iraq shelters several prominent Palestinian terrorist organizations in Baghdad, including the Palestine Liberation Front (PLF), which is known for aerial attacks against Israel and is headed by Abu Abbas, who carried out the 1985 hijacking of the cruise ship Achille Lauro and murdered U.S. citizen Leon Klinghoffer.
    • Iraq shelters the Abu Nidal Organization, an international terrorist organization that has carried out terrorist attacks in twenty countries, killing or injuring almost 900 people. Targets have included the United States and several other Western nations. Each of these groups have offices in Baghdad and receive training, logistical assistance, and financial aid from the government of Iraq.
    • Former Iraqi military officers have described a highly secret terrorist training facility in Iraq known as Salman Pak, where both Iraqis and non-Iraqi Arabs receive training on hijacking planes and trains, planting explosives in cities, sabotage, and assassinations.
    Link
    And now it can be run by the terrorists as they take over. Really improved things there.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #208
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,541
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    It was as dumb and pompous as he is.
    No, it totally shot down Kelly's premise and put the onus for the situation in Iraq back where it belongs, with the current President.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  9. #209
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    With the situation in Iraq unfolding do you believe that the Iraq War was worth it?
    I can't think of anything making it a worthwhile venture, though worth should be defined.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #210
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,541
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And now it can be run by the terrorists as they take over. Really improved things there.
    I agree. Someone has really screwed up.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •