View Poll Results: Was the Iraq War Worth it?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 6.90%
  • No

    72 82.76%
  • Other

    9 10.34%
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 272

Thread: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

  1. #191
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,343

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    With the situation in Iraq unfolding do you believe that the Iraq War was worth it?
    21 mostly Saudis blew up a few buildings and killed a few thousand Americans on our soil. We went after Saddam in Iraq to get Bin Laden, who we believed was probably in Pakistan or possibly Afghanistan, claiming that we were really looking for WMD's, which had been destroyed or moved, or never existed. We decided that we would establish a democratic all inclusive government in an area where the people had been fighting for hundreds of years, and accomplish it in a couple of years.

    What could possibly go wrong with that?

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Find me quotes from Hitler and or Mussolini about destroying the US and the west on almost daily basis. How many times did they burn American flags?
    How many hits inside our borders did they get killing thousands?
    Using your logic, you're saying we should invade North Korea and Iran too, they do the same thing. Boy, you sure do like wars.

  3. #193
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No. The facts presented were what we knew at the time. Some of which (for example, the usage of mobile production platforms) turned out to be incorrect. Some of that was the result of tainted reporting, and some of it was the result of a successful MILDEC campaign by Saddam to convince the world (well, the Iranians) that he still had a production and storage capacity. The assessments given were problematic because they were built in part off of tainted reporting streams (such as described), and were over zealous in their levels of confidence. Even today it is not possible to utilize just the data that was available in the winter of 2002 and come to the conclusion that Saddam had given up and destroyed his WMD program - all you can justify is reducing the confidence levels.
    At that dandy. "They were facts at the time" but now they are just a bunch of BS. In fact much of the reporting done at the time especially by Hans Blix was reported before the war...


  4. #194
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    I think this FOX News reporter about said it all.

    "MEGYN KELLY to DICK CHENEY: In your op-ed, you write as follows: 'Rarely has a U.S. president been so wrong about so much at the expense of so many.' But time and time again, history has proven that you got it wrong as well, sir. You said there were no doubts that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. You said we would be greeted as liberators. You said the Iraq insurgency was in its last throes back in 2005. And you said after our intervention, extremists would have to "rethink their strategy of jihad." Now with almost a trillion dollars spent there with 4,500 American lives lost there, what do you say to those who say you were so wrong about so much at the expense of so many? "


    Megyn Kelly to Dick Cheney: "Time and Time Again, History Has Proven You Got It Wrong" on Iraq | Video | RealClearPolitics
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  5. #195
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    That doesnt mean that the "facts" presented were infact just a bunch of BS.
    Those were the goals agreed to and achieved for the most part. A bipartisan success. What more do you want? You seem to be trying to redefining success out of existence.

    Was Saddam removed? Yes he was. That was a goal agreed to across the aisle.

    Was all threat of WMD removed? Yes, it was. Another goal agreed to across the aisle.

    Was Iraqi support for international terrorism stopped? Yes, it was.

    And so on and so forth.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  6. #196
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Those were the goals agreed to and achieved for the most part. A bipartisan success. What more do you want? You seem to be trying to redefining success out of existence.
    No they were reasons given to invade and occupy Iraq.


    Was Saddam removed? Yes he was. That was a goal agreed to across the aisle.
    Ok..

    Was all threat of WMD removed? Yes, it was. Another goal agreed to across the aisle.
    Missing something. There was no thread of WMD's because they didnt exist!

    Was Iraqi support for international terrorism stopped? Yes, it was.
    The "support of terrorism" at the time was giving money to families whose son/daughter/mother/ or father was a suicide bomber.


  7. #197
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    At that dandy. "They were facts at the time" but now they are just a bunch of BS. In fact much of the reporting done at the time especially by Hans Blix was reported before the war...
    I'm not sure that last sentence says what you intended it to say.

    And yes, they were the facts that we had at the time. Would you prefer that your policy makers make decisions off of things other than the facts available to them? What would you replace it with? FDR used to set the price of gold around what numbers were traditionally lucky, so I suppose the "I feel lucky" option has a precedent.

  8. #198
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,560
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I think this FOX News reporter about said it all.

    "MEGYN KELLY to DICK CHENEY: In your op-ed, you write as follows: 'Rarely has a U.S. president been so wrong about so much at the expense of so many.' But time and time again, history has proven that you got it wrong as well, sir. You said there were no doubts that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. You said we would be greeted as liberators. You said the Iraq insurgency was in its last throes back in 2005. And you said after our intervention, extremists would have to "rethink their strategy of jihad." Now with almost a trillion dollars spent there with 4,500 American lives lost there, what do you say to those who say you were so wrong about so much at the expense of so many? "


    Megyn Kelly to Dick Cheney: "Time and Time Again, History Has Proven You Got It Wrong" on Iraq | Video | RealClearPolitics
    Cheney's response was pretty good. Maybe you should read it.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  9. #199
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I'm not sure that last sentence says what you intended it to say.

    And yes, they were the facts that we had at the time. Would you prefer that your policy makers make decisions off of things other than the facts available to them? What would you replace it with? FDR used to set the price of gold around what numbers were traditionally lucky, so I suppose the "I feel lucky" option has a precedent.
    You keep saying those were the facts we had? I think you need to learn what the meaning of a fact is.

    Definition- fact

    : something that truly exists or happens : something that has actual existence

    : a true piece of information


    All we had was misinformation that was at best, guess work.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #200
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was the Iraq War "Worth it"

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Cheney's response was pretty good. Maybe you should read it.
    It was as dumb and pompous as he is.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •