View Poll Results: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the legal system?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, blacks are treated unequally.

    24 77.42%
  • Yes, it's about equal.

    7 22.58%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

  1. #21
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 08:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,911

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Absolutely not equal. The most glaring example comes from death penalty cases, where blacks are much more likely to be sentenced to death for the same crime than are whites.

    And the above replies just shows how incredibly ignorant so many are of how bad it really is.
    Spare me,

    A lizzie said, there are many factors in why some people are treated favorably and others not so favorably. Does your source compensate for:

    -Economic disparities between black and white defendents?
    - Other factors in the victim's status rather than race. For example, are proportionally more black murder victims involved in "drug deal gone bad" type situations and thus less appealing to jurors and proscecutors?
    -Are white "meth head" vs "meth head" murders also unlikely to elicit alot of effort to pursue death penalties?
    -Is the proportion of whites sentenced to death for say, home invasion robbery / murders really disproportionate to blacks convicted of murder in similar circumstances?

  2. #22
    Sage
    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,476

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    That's a good point. Yes, they are both economically the same.
    Does each defendant have the same history?

    I mean does the black defendant has priors?

  3. #23
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,377

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I agree with TheNextEra. I think the justice system is divided by income and influence more than it is race. I think a black and white person of equal wealth would likely get about the same sentence, whereas a rich person will not get the same sentence as a poor person regardless of the race of the two individuals.
    I agree with this. The only color that really makes any difference in today's courts is the color green.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  4. #24
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    So, I don't think that rich people get treated differently, as much as they can afford to pay for competent and highly qualified representation. It's like getting your car fixed at the dealership or by the guy down the street that was on TV a few weeks ago for doing crappy work. Both places have mechanics - the dealership is more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
    Good post. I don't have any serious disagreements with it.

    As to your point about wealth and lawyer competence, that is certainly correct. I still don't know how that rich kid got off so easily after mowing down a group of people with his car, killing them all, while drunk. If a young (poor) black kid did the same thing, I don't think he'd be doing community service as punishment...

  5. #25
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    05-11-18 @ 03:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,479

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    I was in court once, for my license plate, I was the only white person there, all others were Hispanic.

    before I came before the judge, he had to cases of DWI, and violence with officers in those 2 cases.

    the judge talked to the two Hispanic men, and told them he would do anything he could for them, work out payments for there fines, he bent over backwards for them in my opinion.

    after seeing this I thought I would have no trouble, because of the way he acted....and I had done nothing wrong.

    I was there because the cop stated my registration had expired, however it had not and I had a paper from the DMV, showing it was not , as I showed it to the judge...suddenly the judge pickup his gavel, and slammed it down on my case and shouted 150 dollar fine!

    I knew then and there... the judge knew I had money and could pay, were as the rest of the Hispanics of the court looked poor.

  6. #26
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Currently in PR
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,356

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Good post. I don't have any serious disagreements with it.

    As to your point about wealth and lawyer competence, that is certainly correct. I still don't know how that rich kid got off so easily after mowing down a group of people with his car, killing them all, while drunk. If a young (poor) black kid did the same thing, I don't think he'd be doing community service as punishment...
    No, he wouldn't. Although some have gotten reduced sentences because of a similar defense, that because of their up-bringing they didn't understand that what they did was wrong; however, those cases didn't involve major crimes like that rich kid.

    I still can't understand that ruling. It sure smelled like a payoff to the judge to me.

  7. #27
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    No, he wouldn't. Although some have gotten reduced sentences because of a similar defense, that because of their up-bringing they didn't understand that what they did was wrong; however, those cases didn't involve major crimes like that rich kid.

    I still can't understand that ruling. It sure smelled like a payoff to the judge to me.
    I am hoping that the $20 million civil suit will help cure the kid of Affluenza. He needs help.

  8. #28
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,209

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    What are the racial make up of the others involved in the case. The prosecutors, the defense attorneys, the judge. How about the bailiffs--what are the conviction rates cross tabbed to the race of the bailiffs?

    Superficial mathematics should be the basis of more research, not news.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  9. #29
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Currently in PR
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,356

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I am hoping that the $20 million civil suit will help cure the kid of Affluenza. He needs help.
    From what I understand, the only cure for Afluenza is a weekly shot in the ass.... by an electric cattle-prod.

  10. #30
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Are blacks and whites treated equally by the justice system?

    See, I make a thread with a preconception, and people make good points which puts my original position into doubt. Success.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •