View Poll Results: Can a libertarian be pro life?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 74.55%
  • No

    5 9.09%
  • Libertarian Leans Right is just code for Republican

    9 16.36%
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 268

Thread: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

  1. #51
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    I disagree with the entire premise of your post. A Libertarian can be religious, they just aren't going to try and convince you to follow their beliefs because every person has the right to make their own choice.
    I didn't say a Libertarian can't be religious. I said a Libertarian would never tell another person what he should believe. Your poll is about what people believe (pro-life verus pro-choice). Libertarians can be one or the other, and no other Libertarian would say one view is wrong because he/she has a different one.

  2. #52
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Which is why you folks cannot even get 1% in a national election.
    *Yawn* Better than throwing in with your lot.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #53
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You're saying the same thing tres just said, just differently.
    I just missed the "not" in her post, my apologies.

  4. #54
    Lean Mean Meme Machine
    Jesse Booth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    https://www.debatepolitics.com
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,761

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    Are we talking about parties or ideologies in general?
    Both, depending on context and situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by truthatallcost View Post
    Pepe Booth strikes again.

  5. #55
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    I say no. A Libertarian believes in individual choice, even if it is a choice they don't agree with.
    That's ridiculous, Can a libertarian be free to murder? Or will he agree to respect laws against murder?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  6. #56
    Educator voyager1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 12:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    974

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I didn't say a Libertarian can't be religious. I said a Libertarian would never tell another person what he should believe. Your poll is about what people believe (pro-life verus pro-choice). Libertarians can be one or the other, and no other Libertarian would say one view is wrong because he/she has a different one.
    Sorry I missed the "not" in your post.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Not everyone who calls themself a libertarian is actually a libertarian. Liberalism is whatever liberals say it is and is therefore subject to change. The same goes for conservatism. The definitions of those words change from time to time and place to place. From a linguistic perspective, libertarianism isn't like that. You can't change the definition of libertarianism without changing the definition of liberty.
    Some of my favorite moments on sites like this are when one libertarian explains to other libertarians that they are not really a true libertarian. They seem to enjoy pretending that they and only they are the official Vatican authority on all things libertarain.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    *Yawn* Better than throwing in with your lot.
    And that smug contentment with finishing far far far behind and never getting any real power makes me very happy.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #59
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    So what's the difference between Libertarians and Republicans?
    well from what i see, there are more then 1 kind of republican..

    social...religious
    neo-conservative.....................IE john McCain...imperialist.....nation builder.
    constitutional......follow the law
    conservative, with some left wing thought....both Maine senators
    moderate.

  10. #60
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And that smug contentment with finishing far far far behind and never getting any real power makes me very happy.
    Glad to make you happy.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •