View Poll Results: Can a libertarian be pro life?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 74.55%
  • No

    5 9.09%
  • Libertarian Leans Right is just code for Republican

    9 16.36%
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 268

Thread: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

  1. #151
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,574

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    I say no. A Libertarian believes in individual choice, even if it is a choice they don't agree with.
    Yes, we positively can, and no, it's not logically inconsistent. Libertarianism doesn't mean you can do whatever the **** you want with zero consequences. Your freedom ends where someone else's freedom and life begins. You can not simply kill someone just because you don't want to deal with them. That's not liberty.

    Everybody here opposes murder, the only argument in the pro-life/pro-choice debate is at what point killing a kid becomes murder.
    Last edited by RabidAlpaca; 06-18-14 at 04:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #152
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Agreed, what in what I wrote makes you say this to me as if I didn't already know this?



    Not if said act of force is a legal right. IMO the only justified use of force is in self-defense/retaliation which one could argue, say in the case of the survival of the mother, is an act of self-defense.

    A fetus has no legal rights, a pregnant woman does.
    I don't debate in a circle.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  3. #153
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    there wasnt any taxation during jesus's time.what else do you expect him to advise people to do to share the wealth ?

    l claim he was social democrat.
    That's a major assumption.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  4. #154
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager1 View Post
    I say no. A Libertarian believes in individual choice, even if it is a choice they don't agree with.
    I don't think individual choice extends to killing others. If you believe abortion to be wrongful killing, then calling that an "individual choice" would be like calling raping one's own children an "individual choice."

    "Oh, I think its wrong to rape your kids and I'd never do it, but that's my choice and people should have the right to choose for themselves."

    Hopefully now you see the problem with your logic. Libertarianism does not imply anarchy.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Just because of believes in a certain ideology doesn't mean one must subscribe to all aspects of the ideology. Banning abortion is not a libertarian position, but a libertarian can hold that position none the less.
    Would they make up something to make it conform to their libertarian beliefs or just recognize that they were taking a position in opposition of their beliefs? ( would respect the 2nd)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #156
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    There isn't an actual Libertarian stance on abortion. This issue is actually as controversial among Libertarians as it is between Democrats and Republicans. It depends on who's rights you think are being violated: the fetus or the woman. If a Libertarian believes that the fetus is already a human being, even if not quite finished developing, they likely fall on the pro-life side. If they believe that it is still part of a woman's body, and therefore not a separate person yet, they are on the pro-choice side.
    The fetus has no rights...that's already a fact.

    It is human, but that is not a person and only persons have rights.

    So the libertarian would have to be pro-choice *if* conforming to their political beliefs.

    But no one says people have to 100% conform to their political beliefs....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Life is the most precious right of all, and libertarianism is about protecting rights. Libertarianism is NOT about making everything legal; that's anarchism.
    I have not seen that right elevated above liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Is it in the Constitution? Somewhere else in US legal code?

    Because not everyone agrees with that. So I'd want to see legal support and even then I guess people could disagree personally on what is most important to them.
    Last edited by Lursa; 06-18-14 at 07:01 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #158
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    How does being pro-life contradict favoring small government?
    Laws controlling and enforcing illegal abortion mean bigger govt. and a huge intrusion into the privacy of Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #159
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Of course a Libertarian can be pro-life. It's difficult for me to even think that was a serious question. The assumption that a Liberal, or Conservative or Libertarian must agree with their party's view 100% is moronic. Libertarians are for individual liberty. Where abortions come in, I agree with Libertarians that the government should keep their nose out of the issue. From an individual perspective I favor the rights of the unborn in MOST cases. There are cases where abortion can and should be considered. That does not change my pro-life stance. What's obvious is that the OP and author don't know liberty, don't live liberty and therefore struggles to grasp the concept of individual freedom and accountability.
    How do Libertarians justify that the unborn have rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Can a Libertarian be Pro Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    A true Libertarian would also not tell people they aren't supposed to have religious beliefs. I have none, but I respect that others do. That's the true Libertarian way. We are all entitled to choice, and the government doesn't have a right to tell us what to think.
    I have never ever heard anyone tell people (Americans) that they cant have religious views. The issue is when the religious try to impose those beliefs on other people or into laws.

    If you support pro-choice, you are fully able to personally practice your own religious beliefs and allow others to do the same. If you are pro-life (and religious) then you support forcing your religious beliefs on others...which we all know is wrong and unAmerican.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •