View Poll Results: Who is MOST to blame for the problems of African Americans?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOP

    5 4.39%
  • Black Leadership

    29 25.44%
  • Democrats

    21 18.42%
  • Other

    59 51.75%
Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 701

Thread: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

  1. #581
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,699

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Oh, I see, racism towards blacks.....and discrimination of blacks...are two different things.........and it is caused by "thugness".

    Thanks for explaining that racism towards blacks is really all their fault, whereas, in the last post, we were told that blacks need to get over what happened "150 years ago", the implication being that racism is imagined.
    Here's what I said in it's entirety, instead of just taking one sentence out of context. Notice the bolded part.

    I've seen some those studies and they confuse racism with discrimination against a "thug" stereotype that far too many young blacks embrace. IMO, the issue isn't related to the fact that they are black, but rather that what most people notice the most about young blacks is the stereotype that they seem to love. When someone sees a young black guy wearing "gang" style clothing and with an attitude to match, they do pull back. See that enough and they start equating that same attitude with all young blacks.
    The problem looks like this:
    Joe citizen sees a young black person.
    The young black person is acting like a stereotypical "thug".
    Joe citizen sees another young black person.
    That young black person is acting like a stereotypical "thug".
    Repeat a dozen times or so and what happens is that the idea of young black person equaling a "thug" gets reinforced, regardless of the person dress or behavior.

    Keep in mind that I learned this from a guy who's an ex-Law enforcement and is black (nicest guy you ever wanted to have your back since he's considered an actual mountain in several states [muscle, not fat]). Tom told me that the problem is that people learn things and what they are learning about young blacks these days has far more negative than positive. The problem is twofold, first of all people should be judging others solely on their character and not their manner of dress, secondly, if you want respect, act respectful.
    I never said that it was their fault, in fact I made it clear that the problem was on BOTH sides. Try again, please, this time with integrity if you don't mind...
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  2. #582
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,699

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Ahhh.... I see, people actually like to be poor and simply don't want to work hard enough to get out of debt? Well that makes sense, because it's so easy that a majority do succeed and there are few people unemployed, uneducated or poor. Glad you cleared that up that being poor is a preferable choice for the impoverished.
    I 100% disagree with every word you posted. Not one single word of what you assigned to me do I agree with.

    People don't choose to be poor, but they damn sure can choose to STAY poor. Opportunities are there if you are willing to take them. I used to work in construction and spent my winters unemployed. I'd throw an ax and splitting maul in the back of my Ford Fiesta and drive around looking for unsplit piles of firewood in people's yards and then stop and offer to split the wood for them - $20 split, $40 split and stacked. OPPORTUNITY - IT'S THERE IF YOU CHOOSE TO LOOK FOR IT!!!! I know a lot of poor people who have top end cell phones, bigger and better TVs than I do and they sit on thier butts all day long. No motivation, no drive, no seeking out opportunities. They have choices before them and they choose the one tha lets sit around playing their game systems (I don't have one) and lounging on the couch all day. The company I work for is constantly looking for people to to get out there and bust their butt for a days wage. Do any of these folks go down place an app.?? Nope. But they'll whine about not having any money and find ways to scam/steal for it.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  3. #583
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, your point is that people don't marry because they're poor, and not that they're poor because they don't marry.

    Are weddings necessarily so expensive? I mean, sure, a debutante can spend a hundred grand, but someone who goes to a Justice of the Peace is just as married.
    No, my point is that it's a little more complicated than that.

    It's life. It's not supposed to be simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #584
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    I 100% disagree with every word you posted. Not one single word of what you assigned to me do I agree with.

    People don't choose to be poor, but they damn sure can choose to STAY poor. Opportunities are there if you are willing to take them. I used to work in construction and spent my winters unemployed. I'd throw an ax and splitting maul in the back of my Ford Fiesta and drive around looking for unsplit piles of firewood in people's yards and then stop and offer to split the wood for them - $20 split, $40 split and stacked. OPPORTUNITY - IT'S THERE IF YOU CHOOSE TO LOOK FOR IT!!!! I know a lot of poor people who have top end cell phones, bigger and better TVs than I do and they sit on thier butts all day long. No motivation, no drive, no seeking out opportunities. They have choices before them and they choose the one tha lets sit around playing their game systems (I don't have one) and lounging on the couch all day. The company I work for is constantly looking for people to to get out there and bust their butt for a days wage. Do any of these folks go down place an app.?? Nope. But they'll whine about not having any money and find ways to scam/steal for it.
    Pfftt.. I could care less whether you agree. It's the truth.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  5. #585
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by RedAkston View Post
    Who exactly is fighting against access to birth control? I know of several who fought to have birth control mandated by law, but I don't recall anyone fighting against access.
    Snip-
    Last year was not a great one for abortion rights. First, congressional Republicans attempted to deny statutory rape victims access to Medicaid-funded abortions (twice). Then GOP-dominated state legislatures pushed record numbers of laws limiting abortion rights, including proposals that could have treated killing abortion providers as "justifiable homicide."

    Yet in the past six months, social conservatives have widened their offensive, and their new target is clear: Not satisfied with making it harder to obtain legal abortions, they want to limit access to birth control, too.

    On a lighter note, don't miss The Greatest Hits in Contraceptive History slideshow. Or this particular throwback birth-control method.
    "Contraception is under attack in a way it really wasn't in the past few years," says Judy Waxman, the vice president for health and reproductive rights at the National Women's Law Center. "In 2004, we could not find any group—the National Right to Life Committee, the Bush campaign, anyone—that would go on the record to say they're opposed to birth control," adds Elizabeth Shipp, the political director for NARAL Pro-Choice America. "We couldn't find them in 2006 either, and in 2008 it was just fringe groups. In 2010, 2011, and this year, it's just exploded."

    The first sign of the new assault came last October, when Mississippi activists and congressional Republicans pushed legislation on the state and federal level, respectively, that would have treated zygotes—a.k.a. fertilized human eggs—as legal "persons." If the definition of legal personhood is changed so that it begins when sperm meets an egg, hormonal birth control or barrier devices that prevent zygotes from implanting in the uterine wall could become illegal, making using an IUD tantamount to murder. Yet some 40 percent of House Republicans and a quarter of their allies in the Senate back bills that would do just that.


    That's not all. Earlier this year, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a rising conservative star who's considered a possible pick for the 2012 GOP vice-presidential nomination, introduced a bill that could cut off birth control access for millions of women by allowing even non-religious employers to refuse birth control coverage as long as they cite a religious reason. In other words, if your boss doesn't want to cover birth control in the company health plan because he says it would offend his religious beliefs, he wouldn't have to—even if his Cialis was still covered. Rubio's bill could also allow states to refuse to provide birth control through Medicaid, which provides family planning services to millions of poor women.

    “These are people who have never, ever approved of birth control, and they saw an opportunity to take it one step further.”
    The Republican presidential candidates also have come out against birth control. Mitt Romney has slammed President Barack Obama for requiring most employers to offer insurance that provides birth control at no cost to women who want it, even though Romney himself maintained a similar rule as governor of Massachusetts.

    Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, who won the non-binding Missouri primary as well as the Minnesota and Colorado caucuses on Tuesday, has also slammed Obama's decision. But he's also gone farther than that, suggesting that any form of birth control is immoral. "Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that's okay, contraception is okay," Santorum, a devout Catholic, said in October. "It's not okay. It's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be." As Salon's Irin Carmon has documented, Santorum thinks Griswold v. Connecticut, the Supreme Court decision that said states can not deny married couples access to contraception, should be overturned. The Republican War on Contraception | Mother Jones

  6. #586
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Snip-
    Last year was not a great one for abortion rights. First, congressional Republicans attempted to deny statutory rape victims access to Medicaid-funded abortions (twice). Then GOP-dominated state legislatures pushed record numbers of laws limiting abortion rights, including proposals that could have treated killing abortion providers as "justifiable homicide."

    Yet in the past six months, social conservatives have widened their offensive, and their new target is clear: Not satisfied with making it harder to obtain legal abortions, they want to limit access to birth control, too.

    On a lighter note, don't miss The Greatest Hits in Contraceptive History slideshow. Or this particular throwback birth-control method.
    "Contraception is under attack in a way it really wasn't in the past few years," says Judy Waxman, the vice president for health and reproductive rights at the National Women's Law Center. "In 2004, we could not find any group—the National Right to Life Committee, the Bush campaign, anyone—that would go on the record to say they're opposed to birth control," adds Elizabeth Shipp, the political director for NARAL Pro-Choice America. "We couldn't find them in 2006 either, and in 2008 it was just fringe groups. In 2010, 2011, and this year, it's just exploded."

    The first sign of the new assault came last October, when Mississippi activists and congressional Republicans pushed legislation on the state and federal level, respectively, that would have treated zygotes—a.k.a. fertilized human eggs—as legal "persons." If the definition of legal personhood is changed so that it begins when sperm meets an egg, hormonal birth control or barrier devices that prevent zygotes from implanting in the uterine wall could become illegal, making using an IUD tantamount to murder. Yet some 40 percent of House Republicans and a quarter of their allies in the Senate back bills that would do just that.


    That's not all. Earlier this year, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a rising conservative star who's considered a possible pick for the 2012 GOP vice-presidential nomination, introduced a bill that could cut off birth control access for millions of women by allowing even non-religious employers to refuse birth control coverage as long as they cite a religious reason. In other words, if your boss doesn't want to cover birth control in the company health plan because he says it would offend his religious beliefs, he wouldn't have to—even if his Cialis was still covered. Rubio's bill could also allow states to refuse to provide birth control through Medicaid, which provides family planning services to millions of poor women.

    “These are people who have never, ever approved of birth control, and they saw an opportunity to take it one step further.”
    The Republican presidential candidates also have come out against birth control. Mitt Romney has slammed President Barack Obama for requiring most employers to offer insurance that provides birth control at no cost to women who want it, even though Romney himself maintained a similar rule as governor of Massachusetts.

    Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, who won the non-binding Missouri primary as well as the Minnesota and Colorado caucuses on Tuesday, has also slammed Obama's decision. But he's also gone farther than that, suggesting that any form of birth control is immoral. "Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that's okay, contraception is okay," Santorum, a devout Catholic, said in October. "It's not okay. It's a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be." As Salon's Irin Carmon has documented, Santorum thinks Griswold v. Connecticut, the Supreme Court decision that said states can not deny married couples access to contraception, should be overturned. The Republican War on Contraception | Mother Jones
    So in other words, you can't provide exactly who is fighting against access to birth control. The MS law "could" be interpreted the way your source (Mother Jones - a partisan source who consistently takes everything out of context and manipulates the facts in a way that makes MSNBC jealous) specifies, however this is only speculation and not based in anything factual. Fighting against abortion is not the same as fighting against access to birth control, not even close.

    As I stated in my statement that you quoted, there are those who are fighting against mandated coverage, but this is not the same as trying to prevent access, again not even close.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  7. #587
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by RedAkston View Post
    So in other words, you can't provide exactly who is fighting against access to birth control. The MS law "could" be interpreted the way your source (Mother Jones - a partisan source who consistently takes everything out of context and manipulates the facts in a way that makes MSNBC jealous) specifies, however this is only speculation and not based in anything factual. Fighting against abortion is not the same as fighting against access to birth control, not even close.

    As I stated in my statement that you quoted, there are those who are fighting against mandated coverage, but this is not the same as trying to prevent access, again not even close.
    Personhood legislation not fights access to birth control, it makes birth control illegal.

    IMO, supporting bills that would make birth control illegal is ample proof that a politician is opposed to birth control
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #588
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,699

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Pfftt.. I could care less whether you agree. It's the truth.
    No, it isn't. How can you know what I'm thinking?? My post have been very clear in presenting just about the exact opposite of what you claim I'm thinking, so why don't educate us all on just how it is that you arrived at such a grossly flawed conclusion??
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  9. #589
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by RedAkston View Post
    So in other words, you can't provide exactly who is fighting against access to birth control. The MS law "could" be interpreted the way your source (Mother Jones - a partisan source who consistently takes everything out of context and manipulates the facts in a way that makes MSNBC jealous) specifies, however this is only speculation and not based in anything factual. Fighting against abortion is not the same as fighting against access to birth control, not even close.

    As I stated in my statement that you quoted, there are those who are fighting against mandated coverage, but this is not the same as trying to prevent access, again not even close.
    Mandated coverage prevents those least likely to afford it to receive it. That will prevent many children being born into poverty.

  10. #590
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Personhood legislation not fights access to birth control, it makes birth control illegal.

    IMO, supporting bills that would make birth control illegal is ample proof that a politician is opposed to birth control
    Abortion is not birth control. This seems to be what you are misunderstanding.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •