View Poll Results: Who is MOST to blame for the problems of African Americans?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOP

    5 4.39%
  • Black Leadership

    29 25.44%
  • Democrats

    21 18.42%
  • Other

    59 51.75%
Page 56 of 71 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 701

Thread: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

  1. #551
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,690

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    But that's my point that the real economic problem is not associated with race, as much as meeting a certain criteria to gain access to funding for higher education and job opportunities. It's not because a majority of the Fortune 500 are white males, it's because they're elitist. And many of the cultural problems for blacks, latinos and poor whites are from generations of negative habits and customs, poverty is truly a trap, not just 'whitey' holding people down.
    It's not a trap, it's cage with an open door that people choose to stay in. Anyone who wants to go to college can do so WITHOUT going into debt. If you're poor, there are massive amounts of grant money out there available to you. I have a good friend who gets pissed off about this since he makes too much money for his daughter to qualify for these grants, yet not enough to pay her way for her (she's working her way through law school, with NO loans and with about a thousand $ a month help from her dad). Staying in poverty is a choice, not something that gets forced on people. Self-discipline, self-motivation and a refusal to allow oneself to be poor are the driving forces that people need to have to get out of this open cage.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  2. #552
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Now? jeez Louise, it has been that way for centuries.

    wash rinse repeat...

    I have my explanation of the same phenom, your argument is to return to marriage being an economic necessity, resulting in higher female suicide and homicide.....rather than creating greater wage gains for women and men in lower quintiles.
    except that people who are married are generally happier, live longer, are less likely to be poor, and far less likely to produce children of poverty then people who don't marry.

    Facts are not on your side when you argue for single parenthood.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #553
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    I've seen some those studies and they confuse racism with discrimination against a "thug" stereotype that far too many young blacks embrace.
    Oh, I see, racism towards blacks.....and discrimination of blacks...are two different things.........and it is caused by "thugness".

    Thanks for explaining that racism towards blacks is really all their fault, whereas, in the last post, we were told that blacks need to get over what happened "150 years ago", the implication being that racism is imagined.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #554
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, again, you are conflating 2 statements, it was easier for single women to live on their own following no-fault divorce and their increasing wage gains in the 1960's......and 20 years later thru today, wage gains for all lower quintile workers (particularly women) have gone stagnant or negative.

    I have my explanation of the same phenom, your argument is to return to marriage being an economic necessity, resulting in higher female suicide and homicide.....rather than creating greater wage gains for women and men in lower quintiles.

    I know, fear of violence and suicide...is selfishness, and everyone knows that continued decreased wage gains is something everyone anticipated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    except that people who are married are generally happier, live longer, are less likely to be poor, and far less likely to produce children of poverty then people who don't marry.

    Facts are not on your side when you argue for single parenthood.
    Over the past thirty years changes in divorce law have significantly increased access to divorce. The
    different timing of divorce law reform across states provides a useful quasi-experiment with which
    to examine the effects of this change. We analyze state panel data to estimate changes in suicide,
    domestic violence, and spousal murder rates arising from the change in divorce law. Suicide rates
    are used as a quantifiable measure of wellbeing, albeit one that focuses on the extreme lower tail of
    the distribution. We find a large, statistically significant, and econometrically robust decline in the
    number of women committing suicide following the introduction of unilateral divorce. No
    significant effect is found for men. Domestic violence is analyzed using data on both family conflict
    resolution and intimate homicide rates. The results indicate a large decline in domestic violence for
    both men and women in states that adopted unilateral divorce. We find suggestive evidence that
    unilateral divorce led to a decline in females murdered by their partners, while the data revealed no
    discernible effects for men murdered. In sum, we find strong evidence that legal institutions have
    profound real effects on outcomes within families.

    http://www.nber.org/papers/w10175.pdf
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 06-18-14 at 11:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #555
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Over the past thirty years changes in divorce law have significantly increased access to divorce. The
    different timing of divorce law reform across states provides a useful quasi-experiment with which
    to examine the effects of this change. We analyze state panel data to estimate changes in suicide,
    domestic violence, and spousal murder rates arising from the change in divorce law. Suicide rates
    are used as a quantifiable measure of wellbeing, albeit one that focuses on the extreme lower tail of
    the distribution. We find a large, statistically significant, and econometrically robust decline in the
    number of women committing suicide following the introduction of unilateral divorce. No
    significant effect is found for men. Domestic violence is analyzed using data on both family conflict
    resolution and intimate homicide rates. The results indicate a large decline in domestic violence for
    both men and women in states that adopted unilateral divorce. We find suggestive evidence that
    unilateral divorce led to a decline in females murdered by their partners, while the data revealed no
    discernible effects for men murdered. In sum, we find strong evidence that legal institutions have
    profound real effects on outcomes within families.

    http://www.nber.org/papers/w10175.pdf

    and are women of poverty less likely to be abused by their partners than women who find a suitable mate and marry before having children?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #556
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    and are women of poverty less likely to be abused by their partners than women who find a suitable mate and marry before having children?
    I have no idea, why don't you go find that out.

    In the meanwhile, here is something to answer your and your brethren's previous assertions that single low income mothers stay unmarried for/because of welfare:


    Discussion
    These mothers accounts reveal the central importance that economic factors, status
    considerations, control and the stalled sex role revolution at home, and trust play in shaping low income
    single mothers’ views toward marriage. The social science literature on marriage choices
    offers several explanations for the retreat from marriage, but qualitative data from in-depth
    interviews with nearly 300 low-income single mothers in three cities offers varying levels of
    support for these theories. In addition, several factors this analysis reveals currently have little
    place in the social science literature on the retreat from marriage, and could be profitably explored
    by other scholars.

    Low-income mothers see money—both the amount and regularity of men’s earnings—as a
    fundamental precondition for marriage. However, they also place value on the level of effort men
    put into their attempts to find and keep a job. In addition, the source of men’s income is a crucial
    factor. Women almost never consider men whose earnings source is crime as “marriage material,”
    but men whose earnings are informal but otherwise legal are viewed as potential partners. Men
    whose earnings are from formal sector work are the best bet for marriage partners, assuming this
    work pays significantly above the legal minimum and is relatively stable. The importance of men’s
    effort and their income source are seldom considered in the social science literature on marriage.
    The “economic independence” argument clearly does not well fit for single mothers at the
    bottom of the income distribution.

    http://www.hks.harvard.edu/inequalit...apers/Edin.PDF
    Last edited by Helix; 06-18-14 at 08:18 PM. Reason: fair use
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #557
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,640

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Oh, I see, racism towards blacks.....and discrimination of blacks...are two different things.........and it is caused by "thugness".

    Thanks for explaining that racism towards blacks is really all their fault, whereas, in the last post, we were told that blacks need to get over what happened "150 years ago", the implication being that racism is imagined.
    some discrimination is proper. racism is not. walking away from a group of stereotypical gangstas is saw discrimination. a shopkeeper being extra alert when gypsies enter his store but not when 2 mormon missionaries or Hasidim come in is proper "discrimination"

    we all discriminate in our lives. why do you think attractive girls with good personalities tend to get more dates than slothy fat women who are bitches? DISCRIMINATION



  8. #558
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    It's not a trap, it's cage with an open door that people choose to stay in. Anyone who wants to go to college can do so WITHOUT going into debt. If you're poor, there are massive amounts of grant money out there available to you. I have a good friend who gets pissed off about this since he makes too much money for his daughter to qualify for these grants, yet not enough to pay her way for her (she's working her way through law school, with NO loans and with about a thousand $ a month help from her dad). Staying in poverty is a choice, not something that gets forced on people. Self-discipline, self-motivation and a refusal to allow oneself to be poor are the driving forces that people need to have to get out of this open cage.
    Ahhh.... I see, people actually like to be poor and simply don't want to work hard enough to get out of debt? Well that makes sense, because it's so easy that a majority do succeed and there are few people unemployed, uneducated or poor. Glad you cleared that up that being poor is a preferable choice for the impoverished.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #559
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    some discrimination is proper. racism is not. walking away from a group of stereotypical gangstas is saw discrimination. a shopkeeper being extra alert when gypsies enter his store but not when 2 mormon missionaries or Hasidim come in is proper "discrimination"
    I see, some racial discrimination is OK!

    That is what I expect to read from you.

    we all discriminate in our lives. why do you think attractive girls with good personalities tend to get more dates than slothy fat women who are bitches? DISCRIMINATION
    Um, not racial discrimination...try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #560
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,533

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterLiberty View Post
    The title is evident. Who is the MOST to blame for the problems of African Americans today??
    Poorly-written poll, because you're listing only choices as applies to the parties of the modern day, whereas the parties before 1970 were wildly different from the way they are today. Back then, both parties had strong liberals and strong conservatives...but the most racist area of the nation - the Deep South - has always, always been strongly conservative, regardless of what party was in charge (and yes, I know this from first-hand experience).

    A more accurate poll would have asked whether the problems were due to:

    1. Conservatives
    2. Liberals
    3. whites
    4. blacks
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

Page 56 of 71 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •