View Poll Results: Who is MOST to blame for the problems of African Americans?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOP

    5 4.39%
  • Black Leadership

    29 25.44%
  • Democrats

    21 18.42%
  • Other

    59 51.75%
Page 35 of 71 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 701

Thread: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

  1. #341
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm sexually aroused.
    To paraphrase one of The Four Questions "How is this day different than any other day?"
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #342
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    To paraphrase one of The Four Questions "How is this day different than any other day?"
    It's raining outside.

  3. #343
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Apparently, your argument is that racism is not a cause of of gaps between Black and Whites.


    I am for people having equal access, opportunity and the elimination of all barriers to improvement.

    when you say: "Politicians and talking heads should not affect how one lives."


    I think we need laws to end discrimination and inequality in the workplace, lending, education.....
    1. never said that and your wrong about my stance.
    2. I agree, "am for people having equal access, opportunity and the elimination of all barriers to improvement. For the most part, is that not available?
    3. So you need a Politician or talking head to tell you have to be fair with people and treat others with respect?
    4. I asked if we needed more laws. thanks for a non direct answer of "think we need laws to end discrimination and inequality in the workplace, lending, education..... "
    Are there not laws on the books today to address your concerns?

  4. #344
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    1. never said that and your wrong about my stance.
    Then correct it in any way you like...I'll wait.
    2. I agree, "am for people having equal access, opportunity and the elimination of all barriers to improvement. For the most part, is that not available?
    Um, you seem to know it all, you say the issue is "the individual"....and if you think alles gute...then I suppose we DON'T need any more laws.
    3. So you need a Politician or talking head to tell you have to be fair with people and treat others with respect?
    If you have not figured out yet, politicians "tell" by creating LAW....and again, if you have not figured it out yet, YEAH, I don't think the laws have covered all that is wrong.
    4. I asked if we needed more laws. thanks for a non direct answer of "think we need laws to end discrimination and inequality in the workplace, lending, education..... "
    I'll write this slowly, I don't think we have all needed laws to end discrimination, inequality, et al.
    Are there not laws on the books today to address your concerns?
    There you go again, trying to argue that alles gute.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #345
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    A) We're not talking about mainland Ireland. Just drop that outright.

    ....
    :

    Here is what you responded to with information from the 1890s:

    The fact is that they stopped being oppressed and the cultural and social oppression of the past is still an issue for most Irish. How was 1960s Ireland after the British got done with it? It was in shambles. The Irish in America? Thriving thanks to the fact that they were first class citizens. Hell, the Irish had almost become full Americans by the 1930s thanks to the fact that they were white.
    This is a fact:

    Once FDR was elected, he brought several key Irish-Americans into his administration. One was Joseph P. Kennedy (Bobby and JFK’s dad), whose experiences during the 1930s illustrate how the Irish were beginning to attain real power, yet still faced obstacles.
    In New York, ....
    So in short, 3 generations after the Irish had started migrating into America, they already had politicians being put within reach of the presidency. How you can still claim that they were as... oppressed as blacks who wouldn't accomplish the same thing for.... 80 years is beyond me.

    It is no longer a valid excuse for the such a large portion of the African American population's failure to thrive.
    Says who? The product of a group who was never marginalized for 300 years in America?

    This doesn't even make sense.

    And how many states actually straight out forbade blacks from owning property?
    All of them, through proxy.

    Housing Segregation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    However, in 1934 the practice of redlining neighborhoods came into existence through the National Housing Act of 1934.[3] This practice, also known as mortgage discrimination, began when the federal government and the newly formed Federal Housing Administration allowed the Home Owners’ Loan Corporation to create “residential security maps,” outlining the level of security for real-estate investments in 239 cities around the United States. On these maps, high-risk areas were outlined in red. Many minority neighborhoods were redlined in these maps, meaning that banks would deny all mortgage capital to people living within them. This contributed to the decay of many of these neighborhoods because the lack of loans for buying or making repairs on the homes made it difficult for these neighborhoods to attract and keep families. Many urban historians point to redlining as one of the main factors for urban disinvestment and the decline of central cities in the middle decades of the 20th century.[4]
    Laws Designed To Disarm Slaves, Freedmen, And African-Americans

    Before the Civil War ended, State “Slave Codes” prohibited slaves from owning guns. After President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863, and after the Thirteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution abolishing slavery was adopted and the Civil War ended in 1865, States persisted in prohibiting blacks, now freemen, from owning guns under laws renamed “Black Codes.” They did so on the basis that blacks were not citizens, and thus did not have the same rights, including the right to keep and bear arms protected in the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as whites. This view was specifically articulated by the U.S. Supreme Court in its infamous 1857 decision in Dred Scott v. Sandford to uphold slavery.
    Documents Land Taken From Blacks Through Trickery, Violence and Murder

    The AP - in an investigation that included interviews with more than 1,000 people and the examination of tens of thousands of public records in county courthouses and state and federal archives - documented 107 land takings in 13 Southern and border states.

    In those cases alone, 406 black landowners lost more than 24,000 acres of farm and timber land plus 85 smaller properties, including stores and city lots. Today, virtually all of this property, valued at tens of millions of dollars, is owned by whites or by corporations.

    Properties taken from blacks were often small - a 40-acre farm, a general store, a modest house. But the losses were devastating to families struggling to overcome the legacy of slavery. In the agrarian South, landownership was the ladder to respect and prosperity - the means to building economic security and passing wealth on to the next generation. When black families lost their land, they lost all of this.
    Housing Segregation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    African Americans were met with discrimination when trying to purchase a home in the overwhelmingly European American neighborhoods. The Realtors would not show these houses to African Americans, and when they did, they would try and talk them out of buying the home. This discrimination was based on the fact that Realtors believed they would be losing future business by dealing or listing with African Americans, and that it would be unethical to sell a house in a European American neighborhood to African Americans because it would drive the property values of the surrounding houses down.[1] Even though the GI Bill was made available to all returning U.S. soldiers, preference was given to the whites for living out the American Dream of owning a home in suburban America.
    You are also aware that Jim Crow Laws weren't only targeted against Blacks, correct? In many parts of the country (California, for instance) they were actually most heavily slanted against Chinese immigrants, or Latinos.

    ... Continued:
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #346
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Part 2:

    Now you're just being dishonest:

    Jim Crow laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The Jim Crow laws were racial segregation laws enacted between 1876 and 1965 in the United States at the state and local level. They mandated de jure racial segregation in all public facilities in Southern states of the former Confederacy, with, starting in 1890, a "separate but equal" status for African Americans. The separation in practice led to conditions for African Americans that tended to be inferior to those provided for white Americans, systematizing a number of economic, educational and social disadvantages. De jure segregation mainly applied to the Southern United States. While Northern segregation was generally de facto, there were patterns of segregation in housing enforced by covenants, bank lending practices, and job discrimination, including discriminatory union practices for decades.
    Here are excerpts of Jim Crow laws:

    “Separate free schools shall be established for the education of children of African descent; and it shall be unlawful for any colored child to attend any white school, or any white child to attend a colored school.”

    “It shall be unlawful for a negro and white person to play together or in company with each other in any game of cards or dice, dominoes or checkers.”

    “Any person...presenting for public acceptance or general information, arguments or suggestions in favor of social equality or of intermarriage between whites and negroes, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars or imprisonment not exceeding six months or both fine and imprisonment in the discretion of the court.”

    “Any white woman who shall suffer or permit herself to be got with child by a negro or mulatto...shall be sentenced to the penitentiary for not less than eighteen months.”

    "Any Negro man and white woman, or any white man and Negro woman, who are not married to each other, who shall habitually live in and occupy in the nighttime the same room shall each be punished by imprisonment not exceeding twelve (12) months, or by fine not exceeding five hundred ($500.00) dollars."

    "Any person… who shall be guilty or printing, publishing or circulating printed, typewritten or written matter urging or presenting for public acceptance or general information, arguments or suggestions in favor of social equality or of intermarriage between whites and Negros, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to fine or not exceeding five hundred (500.00) dollars or imprisonment not exceeding six (6) months or both."


    Mention of Chinese and Hispanics? None outside of certain states with actual immigration from these groups. Stating that these laws were created to affect Chinese and Hispanics in some parts of the country - when the overwhelming majority of states which Jim Crow laws had no real immigration from these groups is downright dishonest. Jim Crow laws were created to keep blacks and whites separate.

    How are Chinese Americans doing these days? Do you see them whining, or rattling on about any sort of historical "victimhood?"
    They don't have 300 years of oppression under their belt. They don't seem to like the British though and kept asking for Hong Kong back for a while

    I'm just going to leave these here.

    See that precipitous decline prior to 1970? That was the most economic and social progress the Black Community had ever seen in its entire history.
    Your own charts state that black poverty was twice what it was for whites in the 1950s and then established that it has stayed at the same ratio all the way through to the 2010s. So how exactly has it backslid or gotten worse? Again, I don't think you know how to read your charts

    Since then, African Americans have basically stagnated,
    If 40% of blacks were poor in 1968 and now 27% of them are poor, doesn't that mean there was a drop of over 25% in poverty?

    I'm sorry, but this is simply complete and total nonsense. No one gave prior immigrants "a hand" in economic terms. They worked for their current status, just as Asian Americans and many Latinos are doing now.
    Of course they did:

    The 1930s: When Irish Catholics Changed America | Irish America

    They were provided better institutions:

    Yet Farrell’s epic novels — with their often bigoted characters — make it easy to forget that during the 1930s, Irish Catholics were pivotal swing voters when it came to endorsing President Franklin Roosevelt and his progressive New Deal. Indeed, as writers, filmmakers and politicians battled their high-profile culture wars, it was during the 1930s that a generation of Irish-Americans changed the nation in more subtle ways. Products of a Catholic schools system that was by now the envy of many Protestant ministers, Irish Americans finally made their way to the Ivy Leagues and other elite bastions in larger numbers, diversifying these institutions and paving the way for other “minority groups.”
    Brought into administrations:

    Once FDR was elected, he brought several key Irish-Americans into his administration. One was Joseph P. Kennedy (Bobby and JFK’s dad), whose experiences during the 1930s illustrate how the Irish were beginning to attain real power, yet still faced obstacles.
    Made orators:

    Coughlin’s descent into anti-Semitism and paranoia, however, should not obscure how wildly popular he was. He was the first mass media political pundit, the Bill O’Reilly of his day. Coughlin changed the way Americans thought about media and politics. Even when he began denouncing FDR and the New Deal as “Communistic,” many in both the rural heartland and urban Irish enclaves were willing to listen.
    Made into positive figures by the media:

    Indeed, the code also found fault with anti-Irish films. The code explicitly states that no ethnic group or religion could be mocked in motion pictures. (This was more or less ignored when African Americans were involved.)
    So yes, the Irish certainly got a hand from American society.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 06-14-14 at 02:29 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #347
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Then correct it in any way you like...I'll wait.
    Um, you seem to know it all, you say the issue is "the individual"....and if you think alles gute...then I suppose we DON'T need any more laws.
    If you have not figured out yet, politicians "tell" by creating LAW....and again, if you have not figured it out yet, YEAH, I don't think the laws have covered all that is wrong.
    I'll write this slowly, I don't think we have all needed laws to end discrimination, inequality, et al.
    There you go again, trying to argue that alles gute.
    Guess we will agree to disagree. There is enough laws. Laws will never stop racism, etc. Just like laws against murder has not stopped someone from killing someone else.

  8. #348
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Guess we will agree to disagree. There is enough laws. Laws will never stop racism, etc. Just like laws against murder has not stopped someone from killing someone else.
    The murder rate has dropped because the minority (not ethnicity) that are the killers have been removed from society.

    The legal means to ending discrimination have had a huge effect in all spheres of life, to deny is irrational.

    Absolute arguments like yours are dead-ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #349
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The murder rate has dropped because the minority (not ethnicity) that are the killers have been removed from society.

    The legal means to ending discrimination have had a huge effect in all spheres of life, to deny is irrational.

    Absolute arguments like yours are dead-ends.
    It is not logical to think that if all the laws you would like to see , (whatever they are), about racism were enacted that their would never be a racist person in America.

  10. #350
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    It is not logical to think that if all the laws you would like to see , (whatever they are), about racism were enacted that their would never be a racist person in America.
    You (the theoretical you) are free to be racist.....so long has you do not affect me. However, I should have legal protections to stop any and all racism/discrimination by you that does affect me....since you cannot control your racism.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 35 of 71 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •