View Poll Results: Who is MOST to blame for the problems of African Americans?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOP

    5 4.39%
  • Black Leadership

    29 25.44%
  • Democrats

    21 18.42%
  • Other

    59 51.75%
Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 701

Thread: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

  1. #301
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    What an educational thread.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  2. #302
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post

    This plays into a great many other issues, such as not being able to send one's children to the best schools, not being able to provide the best quality medical care, not being able to afford to live in neighborhoods which might provide one's children the most positive environment for future success, not being able to spend the necessary amount of time raising, disciplining, motivating, and supervising one's children required to keep them out trouble, and etca.

    When one is talking about a group which tends to be somewhat disadvantaged to begin with, the damage this can cause is basically fatal to the goal of upward social mobility and material achievement.


    No. However, they are, by and large, certainly incapable of providing the same kind of financial stability and quantity of care that a two parent household tends to be.
    Are they incapable? Really? You deduce that they are incapable based on outcome without looking into WHY? Incapable and unable are very different aren't they?


    Racism is irrelevant?
    your response was a tit-for-tat
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  3. #303
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Did you not argue in a recent thread that modern young people were actually much better behaved on average than past generations?

    What then, would you argue they have done which makes them in any way "responsible" for their current predicament?
    You sound confused. I'm not the one who has argued that anyone's lack of success is entirely their own fault

    That would be you.

    To the contrary, culture and media play major roles. Black culture and media are worse than most, as a matter of fact.
    For one thing, I did not know that media companies, like TV networks and magazines, had a race.

    For another thing, you are contradicting yourself when you claim that people are responsible for their own lack of success, but then say that culture and the media have an effect. You're trying to have it all ways at one. Try some straight talk for once



    If you had been paying attention at all, you would realize that this very culture is actually the primary thing about "Black America" that I have been arguing needs to change if African Americans are to get ahead.

    However, culture can ultimately only influence behavior, not dictate it. Anyone who wishes to rise above it, can.
    You speak about black culture and black america as if they were things entirely separate from white culture and white america, which they are not. This may surprise you, but more white people "consume" the products that black culture produces (music, clothes, etc) than black people do.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #304
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Just the names would suffice. I've researched academic journals plenty. I'd love to look up some information. Thanks.
    Cool. Two articles are "Jim Crow's Drug War: Race, Coca Cola, and the Southern Origins of Drug Prohibition" by Michael M. Cohen. It was in the Southern Cultures journal, specifically volume 12, issue 3 and premiered in the fall of 2006. The other is "Opium smoking, anti‐Chinese attitudes, and the American medical community, 1850–1890" by Diana L. Ahamad in the American Nineteenth Century History journal, volume 1 issue to and premiered in the fall of 2000.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  5. #305
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,584

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    The majority of African Americans do not "have problems." By problems I mean what this thread is obvious referring to - incarceration, violence, poverty, drugs. Well, I've said this a million times, but I'll say it again. It isn't about black vs. white. It's about poor vs. rich. The same problems with violence and poverty and drugs are equally prevalent among poor white communities. And weirdly enough, a poor white guy living in the ghetto next to a poor black guy will probably make friends with that black guy. Because what you look like is much less important than where you come from.

    The narrative in the black community is much different than what conservative America believes it to be. Black leaders talk all the time about welfare dependence, black on black violence, gangs and drugs ripping their communities apart. Yes, they believe that they are victims of having come from generations of black Americans who were first enslaved and then ostracized and excluded. They have a good point there. But I'd like those of you saying that black people keep "blaming whitey" to go to the ghetto and see what's really going on. Talk to the people there. They do blame white people, I don't deny that. But they feel empowered to overcome what they see as a very unfair country that favors white people.

    Watch this: Louis Theroux, Black Nationalism
    It's extremely entertaining. Louis is the best reporter of all time IMHO. The "Black Nationalists" don't come off so well, but this documentary? This shows what's REAL. Not the fake media BS we're fed every day.
    Last edited by Mustachio; 06-14-14 at 12:18 AM.
    A working class hero is something to be

  6. #306
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by RedAkston View Post
    I'm at work so I'll respond in detail later but no one is losing control of their emotions and I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of those who share the same beliefs that you do.
    Uh... What hypocrisy? What, the fact that we know what century we're in? I'm missing it, here.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Are they incapable? Really? You deduce that they are incapable based on outcome without looking into WHY? Incapable and unable are very different aren't they.
    What do you mean, "why?"

    The answer is obvious. A single mother simply has double the workload of a traditional parent, with half the available resources at her disposal to accomplish the task.

    She can't fully devote herself to either a career or education, as she would risk neglecting her children in doing so. She also cannot fully devote herself to her children, because it would risk running the entire family into the poor house. For that exact reason, what most single parent families wind up with is a sorry compromise between the two, where a great many single mothers wind up poor, and a great many of their children wind up neglected, either way regardless, simply because it isn't feasible for the head of the household see to everyone's needs effectively.

    It's simply a bad model. It overwhelmingly results in poor outcomes, for both mothers and children alike, as such.

    Frankly, even for those women who do manage to make it work, it is still a far harder life than it has to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You sound confused. I'm not the one who has argued that anyone's lack of success is entirely their own fault

    That would be you.
    To the contrary, you are confused. I never argued any such thing.

    A lack of personal success can be attributed to any number of factors, which may or may not be fault of the individual, or individuals, involved.

    Again, all I have argued here is that many members of the Black Community can be seen to regularly engage in a large number of counter-productive and blatantly destructive behaviors which impede any form of social advancement to which they may happen to aspire. No one is to "blame" for that fact, besides the people who indulge in such behaviors, and the attitudes which make them acceptable, in the first place.

    Until this reality changes, it is unlikely that the Black Community will move forward.

    For one thing, I did not know that media companies, like TV networks and magazines, had a race.

    For another thing, you are contradicting yourself when you claim that people are responsible for their own lack of success, but then say that culture and the media have an effect. You're trying to have it all ways at one. Try some straight talk for once
    Media companies tailor their messages and products to what sells.

    What sells, is largely dependent upon popular culture.

    In turn, popular culture is further influenced by the messages with which it is bombarded in the form of mass media.

    It is, in essence, a positive feedback loop, with behavior influencing attitudes, and attitudes influencing behavior. Where African American culture, and the mass media responsible for selling it, are concerned, it simply happens to be the case that the messages it is responsible for selling, and therefore the behaviors it is responsible for encouraging, are overwhelmingly negative.

    I fail to see why this is a hard concept to grasp.

    You speak about black culture and black america as if they were things entirely separate from white culture and white america, which they are not. This may surprise you, but more white people "consume" the products that black culture produces (music, clothes, etc) than black people do.
    First off, source?

    Secondly, I spoke about the black and white communities as if they were separate cultures because they are separate cultures. Hell! Truth be told, the Sunnis, Shia, and Kurds butchering one another in Iraq at the present moment probably have more in common with one another than the inner city blacks and suburban whites we are currently discussing.

    They have their own music, they have their own history, they have their own values, and in some regards, they very nearly have their own languages and religions as well. Even beyond that, the simple fact of the matter is that many lower class blacks make a deliberate point of trying to keep their "culture" separate from the culture of the mainstream United States.

    They do this by discouraging members of their communities from engaging in any endeavor or behavior which they might perceive as being overly "white."

    It simply happens to be the case that many of the things they discourage include pursuits like marriage, education, the willingness to work, and respect for civil and legal authority. A great many African Americans struggle to adapt and thrive in our society as such.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 06-14-14 at 01:45 AM.

  8. #308
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    To the contrary, you are confused. I never argued any such thing.
    No, you never said anything like that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Modern African Americans are not "victims." Frankly, the fact that so many of them insist on thinking of themselves as such is a major part of the problem where their advancement in American society is concerned.

    I hate to break it to everyone, but the simple fact of the matter is that "success" isn't the kind of thing that is arbitrarily bestowed upon a person, or a people, by someone else. It is something that they have to reach out, take for themselves, and throttle into submission.

    The "bleeding hearts" can bitch all they want. Nothing will change where the black community's situation is concerned until they make the decision to make it happen for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, you never said anything like that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Modern African Americans are not "victims." Frankly, the fact that so many of them insist on thinking of themselves as such is a major part of the problem where their advancement in American society is concerned.

    I hate to break it to everyone, but the simple fact of the matter is that "success" isn't the kind of thing that is arbitrarily bestowed upon a person, or a people, by someone else. It is something that they have to reach out, take for themselves, and throttle into submission.

    The "bleeding hearts" can bitch all they want. Nothing will change where the black community's situation is concerned until they make the decision to make it happen for themselves.
    I have said nothing to contradict that point.

  10. #310
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I have said nothing to contradict that point.
    Aside from saying that you didn't say it, you've said nothing that contradicts it
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •