View Poll Results: Who is MOST to blame for the problems of African Americans?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • GOP

    5 4.39%
  • Black Leadership

    29 25.44%
  • Democrats

    21 18.42%
  • Other

    59 51.75%
Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 701

Thread: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

  1. #271
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Did you just infer that the federal justice system used race as a determinant criterion in incarceration?
    Do a little research Gip. She's right.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  2. #272
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Its Bush's fault.
    Isn't everything?
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  3. #273
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    In this day and age, any problems the black community or any other groups has (I don't know what the OP is specifically referring to) are their own doing.
    Wow I can only hope you were drunk when you posted this.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  4. #274
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Exactly. In this country, anyone who feels the need to improve himself can do so, assuming he's physically and mentally capable of doing so.

    Personal responsibility has been sadly diminished in this country. Everything is always someone else's fault.
    You're ignorance is almost charming.....almost.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  5. #275
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    That depends entirely upon whether the blame in question can be said to be justified.
    You have a point. When a white person claims that something other than themselves is the cause for their lack of success, their claim might be justified. When a black person does the same, it can't possibly be justified

    In the case of a clean cut Middle Class young adult who played by every rule society set out, earned a college degree, suffered no criminal record or black mark against them to speak of in the process, and even served their country overseas, there is a fair amount of leeway to complain. I was told that if I did certain things, I would achieve a certain result.
    I see. When you said:
    I hate to break it to everyone, but the simple fact of the matter is that "success" isn't the kind of thing that is arbitrarily bestowed upon a person, or a people, by someone else. It is something that they have to reach out, take for themselves, and throttle into submission.
    the reaching out, taking and throttling you referred to meant "be clean cut, middle class, educated and have no criminal record"

    So far, no such result has been forthcoming. Tens of millions of other young adults are in the exact same boat I am.
    yes, and when millions of young adults all say the same thing, there must be something to it. Unlike when millions of black people say the same thing. Then, there's nothing to it.

    It is a fairly new phenomena as well, which can be almost exclusively attributed to the state of the current US economy.

    That's not exactly the same thing as giving up on school "because it's a waste of time," knocking a girl up before you even turn 18, and using petty crime as an alternative source of income, while blaming "whitey" for one's circumstances the whole time. It is even less so when it can be shown for an absolute fact that no other group has these kinds of endemic problems.
    Why yes again! For the very first time in history, it's hard to find a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #276
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Obama is absolutely a role model for young black men, but he should really be a role model for any young man of any color. All young men should aspire to be great men when they grow up, and pick a role model that lives a life worth emulating. Race should be irrelevant.
    "Should be" is the point. What you don't seem to realize is that for many it is far too relevant.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  7. #277
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by RedAkston View Post
    Not if it's true. Only race baiters find racism where it doesn't exist.
    The real issue here being that determinting where it does and does not exits is a real part of the problem.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  8. #278
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    No. However, they are, by and large, certainly incapable of providing the same kind of financial stability and quantity of care that a two parent household tends to be.
    Yes, because if a black single mother doesn't earn much money, it proves that she's incapable of earning much money

    But if a white, clean cut, middle class young adult doesn't earn much money, it not his fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #279
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Who says they are? They are the product of 300 years of social, cultural and economic destruction. That's a fact.
    Again, as an Irish American, I am a "victim" (by proxy, same as you) of much the same. Do you see me complaining?

    Who cares? You're still not a member of a class of people who actually struggled much after being here.
    You were never enslaved. You were never faced with segregation.

    As a matter of fact, roughly half of the country's blacks were never faced with segregation even when it was in effect.

    Within 50 years of Irish immigration into the US you were considered first class citizens.
    Because we made it happen.

    Frankly, look beyond the Irish. Latinos and Asian Americans have only been a major factor on the American social scene for roughly 50 years or so, and they have faced a large degree of discrimination.

    They are already rising to overcome it, while African Americans continue to languish in poverty, and even backslide.

    I'm sorry man, but if there's a problem here, it's not "the system." It's African Americans.

    Of course it does. It has made this debate far more easy to use than the catch phrases you use to get likes on this thread. Look, it's simple - America, white America, thrived off the free labor provided by blacks for 150 years. It destroyed our culture, told us we were worthless and then sold us off for 100 years. Then, after it told us were all free and equal men, it denied us property and lynched those of us who stood against injustice for another 100 years. By the time the 1900s rolled around, it gave us inferior learning institutions, voting tests and denied us access to what every other ethnic group in this country had: wealth. So now, 50 years away from the time when that was all legal, we're supposed to be doing just as well as the rest? Haha, you're being silly.
    A) Blacks only "built" the South.

    B) Every new immigrant group to enter the United States has had to sacrifice its original culture. That is, quite frankly, what "America" is all about.

    C) Plenty of other groups have faced that discrimination, and overcome it.

    The excuses will only carry you so far, I'm afraid.

    Only that's not true, the roaring 20s as they were called were a decade of prosperity for well, damn near everyone who lived in cities. So the Harlem Renaissance was not only natural but expected. At the time however, it was criticized for being a cheap copy of European culture. What's I think is far more interesting though is the fact that your own source cites poverty as the declining factor in this movement:
    What's your point?

  10. #280
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Who do you blame for the problems of African Americans?? [W:98]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post

    Racism is irrelevant?
    Yes, unless you can show that the racist beliefs of those black people can somehow explain the lack of success of white people
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •